Just weeks after producing its first batch of synthetic diesel fuel made from carbon dioxide and water, Audi has laid claim to another synthetic, clean-burning and petroleum-free fuel called “e-benzin.”
The fuel was created by Audi’s project partner Global Bioenergies, in France.
In late 2014, Global Bioenergies started up the fermentation unit for a pilot program to produce gaseous isobutane from renewable biomass sugars such as corn-derived glucose. Gaseous isobutane is a sort of raw material for the petrochemical industry that can then be refined into a variety of plastics, fuels and other applications.
The next step in the process was to run the material through a conditioning and purification process, allowing it to be collected and stored in liquid form under pressure. Some of it was then sent to Germany to be converted into isooctane fuel, creating a pure, 100 octane gasoline.
“To me this is a historic moment,” says Global Bioenergies CEO Marc Delcourt. “It is the first time that we have produced real gasoline from plants.”
Isooctane is currently used as an additive to improve fuel quality, but could also be used a stand-alone fuel. Audi calls the final, refined form of the fuel “e-benzin” and claims that it burns clean due to its lack of sulfur and benzene. Also, its high grade enables it to power engines using high compression ratios for more efficiency.
Audi will test the fuel composition and conduct engine tests to see how it performs before eventually trying it out in vehicle fleets. Delcourt says he could see it being used in consumer cars on a large scale “very soon.”
The Latest on: Synthetic fuel
via Google News
The Latest on: Synthetic fuel
- HyCOgen and FT CANS, innovative technologies to enable sustainable fuel production selected for Repsol and Aramco's synthetic fuel plant in Bilbaoon May 25, 2022 at 3:50 am
It is due to be commissioned in 2024, with a starting capacity of more than 2,100 tonnes per year. It will produce a sustainable synthetic drop-in fuel that can be blended for existing road vehicle ...
- Qantas Says Synthetic Fuel Could Power Long Flights by Mid-2030son May 24, 2022 at 2:00 am
Synthetic fuel could start replacing traditional petroleum and plant-based biofuels by as early as the mid-2030s, helping to decarbonize long-distance air travel, Australian airline Qantas has said.
- Lubricants Market to Hit USD 139.12 Billion by 2029 | Increasing Demand for Synthetic Lubricants to Fuel Market Growthon May 18, 2022 at 10:42 pm
The global lubricants market size is anticipated to reach USD 139.12 billion by 2029 and exhibit a CAGR of 2.1% during the forecast period. The increasing demand for ...
- Anthem Looks to Fuel AI Efforts With Petabytes of Synthetic Dataon May 17, 2022 at 2:00 am
The idea of synthetic data in enterprises has been around for decades, but it’s picking up steam as companies begin making more use of artificial intelligence and have greater need for faster access ...
- Should I change to synthetic motor oil in 1994 Celica? | Car Doctoron May 15, 2022 at 2:01 am
I have a 1994 Toyota Celica and have always used conventional oil. Should/can I change to synthetic? Can I mix the two?
- Synthetic Fuel Market Growth 2022 Global Industry Size, Recent Trends, Demand and Share Estimation by 2029 with Top Playerson May 13, 2022 at 1:15 am
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. May 13, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- The “Synthetic Fuel Market“ research report has witnessed growth from USD million to ...
- Abu Dhabi aims to fuel ships with e-methanol derived from green hydrogen at Suez Canalon May 6, 2022 at 9:35 am
E-methanol — derived by combining green hydrogen with captured CO 2 — is emerging as a potentially key clean fuel for the highly polluting shipping industry, with market leader Maersk recently ...
- 'The electric car has given more power to coal'on May 4, 2022 at 11:42 pm
During the war, synthetic fuel factories kept the Luftwaffe's planes in the air and many of the Wehrmacht's tanks moving. Although hydrogenation was a technological feat, it was an economic and ...
- Synthetic Leather Market Research Report: Overview with Geographical Segmentation by Revenue with Forecast 2031on April 28, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Due to increasing demand for lightweight automobiles, sales of synthetic leather are expected to growth significantly over the forecast period. Lightweight vehicles consume less fuel and offer ...
- Green jet fuel is here -- so why are airlines not using it?on April 26, 2022 at 5:35 am
The result is a synthetic liquid fuel that is carbon neutral and comes in a potentially endless supply -- enough to satisfy the demand of the entire aviation industry. According to a cost analysis ...
via Bing News