Had bioprinting been around in Vincent van Gogh’s day, he would have had to do something more dramatic to express his inner torment than cutting off his ear – American startup BioBots has been demonstrating that he could have easily just 3D-printed a new one.
Building living tissues nearly from scratch isn’t a brand new science. Researchers have used lab animals as hosts to grow functioning organs for people in need of transplants and yes, even human ears. Even 3D printing artificial biological material has been around for a few years, using experimental “bio-inks” and designs for printable skin grafts, just for starters.
BioBots seeks to combine the ability of high-end tissue fabrication – which often requires large, expensive machines running into the US$100,000 range that require technicians to operate – with the ethos of the maker movement and more inexpensive desktop 3D printing equipment.
The project began in the dorms of the University of Pennsylvania last year and quickly moved to the DreamIt Health Accelerator in Philadelphia last fall, before winning awards at South By Southwest and TechCrunch Disrupt in the past few months.
In the below video from DreamIt’s demo day, co-founder Danny Cabrera demonstrates how BioBots works. It uses a cartridge technology similar to that of inkjet printers, capable of building up tissues at a resolution of 100 micrometers. That tissue is then rapidly cured using a special blue light that does not damage the cells. The result is a printed ear that van Gogh himself could have used.
This early system sold for just $5,000 to beta version adopters that are providing feedback for the development of the final version.
The Latest on: 3D Bioprinting
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D Bioprinting
- In‐Vision enters a business alliance with Correns Corporation for the Japanese marketon July 7, 2021 at 1:12 pm
The main aim of the partnership is to support Japanese companies in the field of additive manufacturing and bioprinting with In‐Vision's DLP‐based UV light projectors.
- Desktop Health Hears Opportunity to Expand Bioprintingon July 7, 2021 at 5:06 am
Desktop Health, a healthcare business within Desktop Metal Inc., is adding PhonoGraft platform to its technology portfolio. This announcement is a promising direction for Desktop Health with the ...
- 3D Bioprinting Market Statistics, Top Countries Data, Industry Share, overview, Restraints, Global Industry Outlook and Key Players Analysis By 2027on July 1, 2021 at 1:41 am
Technological developments of the 3D Bioprinters and increasing investment in R & D of stem cell and regenerative medicines are driving the demand of the market. The global 3D Bioprinting Market is ...
- Designing and Equipping 3D Bioprinting Facilitieson June 30, 2021 at 4:20 am
Three-dimensional (3D) bioprinting is an additive manufacturing process resulting in constructs containing living cells. Key components of this process include bioprinters—devices that work like ...
- Laser-based 3D Bioprinting Market Size will Grow Profitably in the Near Future 2021-2027on June 29, 2021 at 8:24 am
QY Research Medical published a comprehensive study on Laser-based 3D Bioprinting Market which provides key growth factors & challenges, business strategies, segmentation & regional outlook, concise ...
- Bioprinting Stocks: 3D Systems and Desktop Metalon June 28, 2021 at 2:25 pm
In the 3D printing world, 2021 is shaping up to be the year of bioprinting, with both 3D Systems (NYSE:DDD) and Desktop Metal (NYSE:DM) entering the commercial bioprinting market this year.
- $2.39 Billion 3D Bioprinting Markets – Global Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts 2021-2026 – ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 28, 2021 at 5:19 am
The “3D Bioprinting Market – Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 – 2026)” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. The global 3D bioprinting market was valued at ...
- Global 3D Bioprinting Market Trajectory & Analytics Report 2021 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 28, 2021 at 2:02 am
The “3D Bioprinting - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. Global 3D Bioprinting Market to Reach $2.8 Billion by 2027 Amid the COVID-19 ...
- 3D Systems Stock Soared 41% This Week -- and Lifted Other 3D Printing Stockson June 26, 2021 at 6:34 pm
3D Systems (NYSE:DDD) stock soared 40.6% this week, powered by the company's Tuesday announcement of a new bioprinting collaboration with Israeli regenerative and aesthetic medicine company ...
via Bing News