The United Launch Alliance (ULA) has entered the reusable launcher race with its Next Generation Launch System (NGLS), also known as the Vulcan rocket.
This replacement for the current generation of launch systems will incorporate a rocket engine assembly that jettisons from the first stage and is snared in mid-air by a helicopter after reentering the Earth’s atmosphere.
Unveiled at the 31st Space Symposium, the Vulcan was named by popular vote last month that garnered one million entries. According to ULA, the new launch system will be able to deliver payloads to low-Earth orbit and deep space at reduced cost.
At the heart of the Vulcan is ULA’s Sensible, Modular, Autonomous Return Technology (SMART) initiative. Unlike the SpaceX Falcon 9, which is designed to fly back to the launch site, the SMART initiative involves developing an engine assembly that reuses the booster main engines. The assembly uses twin BE-4 engines burning methane and liquid oxygen, producing 1.1 million lb of thrust. The BE-4 was developed by Blue Origin, which is providing the engines to ULA in a partnership to replace the Russian-made RD-180.
In flight, the Vulcan lifts off like a conventional system, but after releasing its payload, the first-stage booster engine assembly detaches and re-enters atmosphere using an inflatable heat shield. After parachute deployment, the booster engine assembly is hooked and captured by a Chinook helicopter. The assembly is then recertified and reattached to a new Vulcan first stage. ULA says that this results in a 90 percent savings in propulsion costs because the engine assembly makes up 25 percent of the booster weight and 65 percent of the booster cost.
The Latest on: Launch systems
via Google News
The Latest on: Launch systems
- Project Galaxy Officially Announces the Launch of Their GAL Tokenon May 18, 2022 at 8:39 pm
and for being a great support system for our team, we are excited to share more big announcements over this year," stated the co-founder of Project Galaxy, Charles Wayne. The Project Galaxy token ...
- BT, QiO Launch New AI-powered Edge Compute solutionon May 18, 2022 at 8:23 pm
BT announced a new AI-powered solution to help customers achieve their sustainability targets by optimising energy use across their operations ...
- Thursday set for ULA Atlas V rocket launch of Boeing's Starliner mission to ISS for NASAon May 18, 2022 at 7:08 pm
A ULA Atlas V rocket will launch from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station on Thursday for redo of the Boeing Starliner Orbital Flight Test to the ISS.
- Panduit Launches RapidID(TM) Network Mapping Systemon May 18, 2022 at 6:26 pm
Panduit announces the launch of its new RapidID™ Network Mapping System, an offering designed to reduce the time and cost of patch cord documentation by up to 50%*. By using pre-labeled Panduit patch ...
- When And Where To See The New ‘Starliner’ Spacecraft Launch In Prime-Time Thursday As SpaceX Gets Some Orbital Competitionon May 18, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Boeing’s uncrewed Orbital Flight Test 2 will see its “Starliner” spacecraft visit the International Space Station in an effort to join SpaceX as a NASA-certified system for getting astronauts into low ...
- TDOE and UT System launch centralized program to help create career pipelines for aspiring educatorson May 16, 2022 at 8:17 pm
The investment is part of a partnership with the University of Tennessee System. Officials said that they hoped the partnership would bring the Grow Your Own model across the state. The Grow Your Own ...
- Mount Pleasant police launch online reporting systemon May 16, 2022 at 2:31 pm
The Mount Pleasant Police Department (MPPD) on Monday launched an online platform for residents to report non-emergency issues. The platform is to be used for complaints concerning things like fraud, ...
- Space Launch System Market Size 2022, share Industry Growing Rapidly with Recent Demand, Trends, Development, Revenue and Forecast to 2027on May 16, 2022 at 12:19 am
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. May 16, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "The Global Space Launch System Market statesthe impact of Coronavirus COVID-19 on ...
- NASA working to fix ‘nuisance’ problems with Space Launch System rocketon May 14, 2022 at 8:02 am
NASA has shared more information about its ongoing work on its new Space Launch System rocket, and the issues that arose in three previous tests.
- Education Ministry to launch Indian Knowledge System textbook on May 16on May 13, 2022 at 5:20 am
Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan will be launching a textbook on the Indian Knowledge System on Monday.
via Bing News