At a self-cleaning pool that just opened in London, you won’t find a toxic chemical in sight.
Most swimming pools are doused in chlorine as a disinfectant, despite the fact that the chemical can react with other things commonly found in pools—like pee and skin cells—to create byproducts linked to asthma and cancer. A new temporary pool in London takes a different approach by cleaning the water with plants instead.
In a “regeneration zone,” plants like pondweed and water lily absorb nitrates and ammonium and release oxygen, while microorganisms reduce algae and germs. Another section of the pool uses a gravel bed to host another layer of microorganisms for more cleaning. Throughout the day, pumps push the water from the swimming area through the filters.
The self-cleaning pool, which opened on April 1, was built as part of an art project on a site that’s slated for development. For the artists, it was a way to interact with a changing neighborhood—a new building will be constructed next to the pool as people swim—and also a way to literally immerse visitors in nature and help people think about the connection between their own health and the health of the environment.
“Visitors enter a living laboratory where they are aware of their relationship with nature, and about consequences of their interaction’s with nature and take responsibilities, they thus become actors,” say the designers, Slovenia-based artist Marjetica Potrc, and Dutch architects Eva Pfannes and Sylvain Hartenberg. “The water is important for the engagement of the actors. . . . They become aware of various natural processes by swimming in the pond.”
The Latest on: Natural Pool
via Google News
The Latest on: Natural Pool
- 4th Of July Pool Safety: Tips To Prevent Drowning In Wisconsinon July 2, 2021 at 6:15 pm
With the 4th of July weekend coming up, people in Wisconsin are gearing up for a splash in the water. However, summer fun can end in tragedy. Just this past Saturday, a 1-year-old boy in Wrentham, ...
- This mega-estate in Malibu – 180 acres, vineyards, 2 pools – for sale for $38 millionon July 2, 2021 at 10:02 am
The Rosenthal Estate in the hills of Malibu, California, is for sale for $38 million, offering 180 sprawling acres with stunning vineyard and mountain views, two pools and a 12,000-square-foot ...
- Coatesville City Council OKs Ash Park plan with splash pad in lieu of poolon July 2, 2021 at 9:30 am
A master plan for a $4.5 million project at Coatesville’s Ash Park is nearing completion. City Council on June 28 voted to accept the park plan that will include a splash pad water feature, in lieu of ...
- 4th Of July Pool Safety: Tips For Swimming Safely In Birminghamon July 2, 2021 at 8:47 am
With the 4th of July weekend coming up, people in Alabama are gearing up for a splash in the water. However, summer fun can end in tragedy. Just this past Saturday, a 1-year-old boy in Wrentham, ...
- Trent to host 135th Birthday Bash and raise funds for poolon July 2, 2021 at 8:17 am
Wendell is on the board of the Trent Community Association, and she spent the weekend handing out fliers, inviting all who would listen to join her at Trent’s 135th Birthday Bash scheduled for ...
- Elephants in Agra Shelter Beat The Heat in Jumbo-Sized Swimming Pools | See Picson July 1, 2021 at 7:28 pm
All the 29 resident animals now have access to their very own jumbo swimming pools as well as water sprinklers that create cool zones inside their free-ranging enclosures.
- Liquid assets: Why the cost of home pools is skyrocketing this summeron July 1, 2021 at 8:26 am
Pools are this summer’s splashiest amenity and they’re liquid gold for home sellers and buyers who aren’t afraid to dive in.
- Spacious, 10-acre home in L'Esprit equestrian development features pool, barn and horseson July 1, 2021 at 2:12 am
A 10-acre property on L'Esprit, La Grange’s equestrian development, features a six-bed house, in-ground pool, five-stall horse barn and three horses.
- The Best Swimming Pools at Santorini Hotelson June 30, 2021 at 12:00 pm
The island of Santorini in Greece has some of the best swimming pools the world over to offer as long as you know where to look.
- PHOTOS: Trenton pools open for the summer, Mayor takes a dip with local kidson June 28, 2021 at 2:37 pm
Trenton opened the city pools to the public Monday, a welcome reprieve for residents in the current heat wave.
via Bing News