Maintaining food in places where high temperatures prevail, using little energy at a low cost, it is now possible with new technology, thanks to the creation of a solar cooling system designed by Susana Elvia Toledo Flores.
he prototype developed in the Research Department in Zeolites, at the Institute of Science of the Meritorious University of Puebla (BUAP), in center Mexico, works 24 hours and keeps the cold for up to three months.
The researcher developed the prototype in the Black Mountain Range of the state, where she has achieve to maintain water at nine degrees Celsius “with that temperature we can cool food, though the goal is to get as low as five, with this fish can be preserved without denaturing its proteins.”
The BUAP design is inexpensive, easy to manufacture and environmentally beneficial. “Normal cooling systems use chlorofluorocarbon chemicals that destroy the ozone layer and contribute to greenhouse gases, ours is friendly to the environment,” explains Toledo Flores.
It works with solar radiation and the cooling is achieved by means of a thermodynamic adsorption-desorption cycle lasting 24 hours. Methanol is used as a refrigerant and as zeolite (mineral) as an adsorbent.
Toledo Flores says the system has two stages, during the day “warming, desorption and the period of condensation happens. Solar energy heats the zeolite and increases the methanol vapor pressure, the refrigerant is condensed and stored in a tank flowing to the evaporator. ”
Overnight the cooling process is achieved, adsorption and evaporation period is performed. “The adsorbent bed temperature decreases after sunset, therefore, the refrigerant pressure is reduced and evaporates while the absorbent is cooled. During this period the coolant begins to evaporate and is again adsorbed by zeolite generating cooling temperatures of five degrees Celsius. The adsorption process continues all night until morning. ”
The equipment is composed of a solar collector, adsorbent bed, condenser and evaporator. To build it, the researcher calculates the amount of water to be cooled, thereby knows how many zeolite to use. She also considers the room temperature, in this case of 20 degrees Celsius.
The Latest on: Solar cooling system
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar cooling system
- Experts Give Their Wisdom On Today’s Best Sustainable Building Practiceson April 19, 2021 at 10:38 am
As the world confronts the urgent realities of climate change, top architects are reconsidering the way we live, pioneering new approaches to building in the fight to reduce carbon emissions. So what ...
- Winners named in this year’s Solar Decathlon, a showcase for student-led innovationon April 19, 2021 at 9:18 am
Nine teams from the U.S., Canada, Chile, and the Netherlands competed in a design-build challenge that resulted in innovative solar-based houses being added to home-town neighborhoods.
- Roofing Tiles Market to Develop at an 6.20% CAGR by 2027 | Market Research Future (MRFR)on April 19, 2021 at 8:31 am
The roofing tiles market is proliferating on the global platform witnessing increasing installations of different tiles as a roofing solution. Roofing tiles offer a durable, eco-friendly, ...
- Solar Shading Systems Market to Reach $21.34 Bn, Globally, by 2027 at 3.9% CAGRon April 19, 2021 at 6:15 am
Allied Market Research published a report, titled, "Solar Shading Systems Market by Product Type (Blinds, Shades, Louvers, and ...
- Why burn something to make heat if you can pump it out of the air, even when it’s wicked coldon April 18, 2021 at 6:00 pm
When it comes to the “electrify everything” movement, a key part of reworking society so we stop turning the climate into a destructive beast, three technologies stand out for everyday life.Two of ...
- Climate manipulation? Not all 'solutions' should be advancedon April 18, 2021 at 8:30 am
As the Biden-Harris administration advances an all-of-government approach to the worsening climate crisis, we need to acknowledge that not all proposed climate solutions should be advanced. Solar ...
- At a growing number of condos, solar and geothermal energy runs everything from garbage chutes to elevatorson April 16, 2021 at 4:11 pm
Beech House Condos in Toronto’s Upper Beaches reveals an unexpected feature. Invisible from street level at Kingston Road and Beech Avenue, the patio awnings cascading down the six-storey ...
- How solar-powered cold room is changing farmers’ fortuneson April 12, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The hustle and bustle that defines Kithimani Market along Nairobi-Thika-Garissa as vendors hawk fresh fruits and vegetables to motorists wanes gradually as the day wears out.
- How much do solar panels reduce electricity bills?on April 11, 2021 at 11:35 pm
With heating and cooling making up approximately 40 per cent of a household’s energy use, and conventional water heaters around 25 per cent, it comes as no surprise that Aussies are increasingly ...
- Residential Solar Energy Storage Market May See a Big Move : Major Giants LG Chem , Abengoa Solar, Esolaron April 10, 2021 at 7:20 am
Stay up to date and exploit latest trends of Residential Solar Energy Storage Market with latest edition released by AMA Residential Solar Energy Storage Market Comprehensive Study is an expert and ...
via Bing News