In the not-too-distant future, burn victims may be able to recover in the half the time than is possible today.
If so, it will be thanks to a biodegradable dressing that applies cultured skin cells directly to the wound site.
The biomaterial is being developed in a collaboration between Mexico’s Autonomous University of the State of Morelos (UAEM) and the Scientific Research Centre of Yucatan.
Led by UAEM’s Prof. Jesús Santa-Olalla Tapia, the researchers have isolated skin cells (keratinocytes), grown colonies of them in the lab, and then applied them to a gauze-like dressing. When applied to burns, the material delivers the cells right to the wound, where they release proteins that trigger skin growth.
Additionally, because the material simply biodegrades in place on the wound, the dressing never needs to be changed – doing so can sometimes set back the healing process, even though it’s necessary with regular dressings.
As a result, when tested on small burns on rabbits and mice, the material reportedly reduced healing time by 50 percent. Plans now call for testing on larger animals, followed by human trials.
Read more: Skin cell-laced dressing reduces burn healing time by half
The Latest on: Burn healing
[google_news title=”” keyword=”burn healing” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Burn healing
- UCL TEAM'S LIFE SAVING BURN TREATMENT WINS SCI BRGHT SCIDEA CONTESTon March 31, 2023 at 4:09 pm
Team Phagel from UCL London wins first prize at SCI's 2023 Bright SCIdea final Winning business idea could address 50% figure of burn victims who die from infection Team Phagel has won SCI's annual ...
- Fire survivor donates to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center burn uniton March 30, 2023 at 9:07 pm
Michael Van Every is bringing love and hope to what can be one of the most painful places: the burn center at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center.
- UCL team's life-saving burn treatment wins Bright SCIdea conteston March 29, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Team Phagel from UCL wins first prize at SCI’s 2023 Bright SCIdea final, the fifth iteration of the Society's flagship entrepreneurial competition.
- 7-year-old girl critically hurt in Oxnard fire leaves burn uniton March 29, 2023 at 11:45 am
A 7-year-old girl who was seriously hurt in a fire that killed her father and critically injured her mother and older brother is ready for the next step in her healing journey. Gladys Solis was ...
- New weight loss treatment ‘could be like gastric band surgery with no knife’on March 29, 2023 at 9:19 am
The injectable compounds also avoid the side effects of nausea and vomiting that are common with current weight-loss and diabetes drugs.
- 13-year-old burn victim arrives in Fort Lauderdale after 3 brothers die in house fire in Jamaicaon March 28, 2023 at 11:39 pm
After undergoing more than two dozen surgeries in the U.S., a 13-year-old burn victim is now beginning her road to recovery in South Florida to return back home to Jamaica.
- Burns Treatment Market Current Scenario Analysis Report till 2029on March 28, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Absolutereports.com has conducted research titled "Burns Treatment Market" for the years 2023 to 2029, which presents ...
- What is artificial skin? How it’s grown and how it could help skin cancer sufferers, having been developed to treat burn victimson March 28, 2023 at 1:15 pm
A dressing developed decades ago prompts the growth of tissue 'like skin', rather than scar tissue, in patients. It has since been used to treat burn victims Today, artificial skin is used to test ...
- Burn Treatment Anti-Infectives Products Market By 2031on March 27, 2023 at 5:56 pm
The "Burn Treatment Anti-Infectives Products Market" study describes how the technology industry is evolving and how ...
- In case of wax burns, this is when you should consult a dermatologiston March 27, 2023 at 4:30 am
Because wax burns are so superficial, they resolve completely in 7-8 days. (Source: Freepik) Amid the pandemic, many people opted for at-home-waxing treatments -- a trend that continues to be ...
via Bing News