In the not-too-distant future, burn victims may be able to recover in the half the time than is possible today.
If so, it will be thanks to a biodegradable dressing that applies cultured skin cells directly to the wound site.
The biomaterial is being developed in a collaboration between Mexico’s Autonomous University of the State of Morelos (UAEM) and the Scientific Research Centre of Yucatan.
Led by UAEM’s Prof. Jesús Santa-Olalla Tapia, the researchers have isolated skin cells (keratinocytes), grown colonies of them in the lab, and then applied them to a gauze-like dressing. When applied to burns, the material delivers the cells right to the wound, where they release proteins that trigger skin growth.
Additionally, because the material simply biodegrades in place on the wound, the dressing never needs to be changed – doing so can sometimes set back the healing process, even though it’s necessary with regular dressings.
As a result, when tested on small burns on rabbits and mice, the material reportedly reduced healing time by 50 percent. Plans now call for testing on larger animals, followed by human trials.
The Latest on: Burn healing
via Google News
The Latest on: Burn healing
- Vegetation fire burns 2.5 acres in Antelope, Metro Fire stops spreadon June 12, 2021 at 2:10 pm
Officials with the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District announced they stopped forward progress just after 1 p.m. but the fire was still able to burn 2.5 acres near 29th Street in Antelope.
- We're Keeping An Eye On Cyclo Therapeutics' (NASDAQ:CYTH) Cash Burn Rateon June 12, 2021 at 2:29 am
So should Cyclo Therapeutics (NASDAQ:CYTH) shareholders be worried about its cash burn? For the purpose of this article, we'll define cash burn as the amount of cash the company is spending each year ...
- Rubio: Veterans burn pit legislation 'a moral obligation'on June 11, 2021 at 4:30 pm
Now, Congress is considering legislation to change all of that. “The war has followed us home because the war hasn’t ended for us,” said Le Roy Torres, founder of Burn Pits 360, a nonprofit ...
- Jessica Simpson’s husband Eric Johnson has fun with family photographer Kristin Burns during beach stroll without singeron June 11, 2021 at 3:04 pm
JESSICA Simpson’s husband, Eric Johnson, had a friendly day out with family photographer Kristin Burns during a beach stroll, as the singer skipped the outing. In photos exclusively obtained by ...
- FDA gives green light to Avita’s ‘spray-on’ burns treatment for children, shares gainon June 10, 2021 at 6:27 pm
Burns treatment company Avita Medical (ASX:AVH) won further approval from the FDA to treat a wider variety of burns and in paediatric patients too.
- Cleaning Up Calwood: Boulder County Takes To The Sky To Heal Burn Scaron June 10, 2021 at 5:27 pm
Nearly a year after the Calwood Fire burned more than 10,000 acres, charring many homes, Boulder County is working to preserve what remains of the landscape.
- AVITA'S RECELL Spray-On Skin For Pediatric Burns Gets FDA Approvalon June 10, 2021 at 9:24 am
The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and AVITA Medical have halted recruitment for the ongoing pediatric burn study of ...
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Approves Expanded Use of the RECELL® System for the Treatment of Extensive Burns and Pediatric Patientson June 10, 2021 at 6:00 am
Expanded indication for use includes RECELL System for treatment of full-thickness acute burn wounds of all sizes in pediatric and adult patientsVALENCIA, Calif. and MELBOURNE, Australia, June 10, ...
- Dermatologists Say These Sunburn Home Remedies Will Heal Your Skin Faston June 10, 2021 at 5:00 am
Still, board-certified dermatologists say there are steps you can take to soothe your sunburn and get relief in the moment. While prevention is key, treating sunburn with certain home remedies can ...
- Before a prescribed burn comes a ton of planningon June 9, 2021 at 4:00 am
I had no idea they did all this planning.” It’s a comment Fred Ellis, assistant fire management officer with the Pagosa Ranger District in the San Juan National Forest, hears ...
via Bing News