“The team estimates that data centers in North America can save $870 million annually using this approach, with the yearly serial-link power savings at data centers worldwide by 2020 equaling Japan’s yearly electricity consumption.”
Researchers developed a way to use burst-mode technology to cut microprocessor power consumption. Their approach could save data centers in North America millions of dollars annually.
Serial links move data between microprocessors and other electronic devices. As vital as they are, serial links are idle 50-70% of the time. Idle, however, does not mean off.
Current technology demands that serial links stay powered up, consuming microprocessor power to the tune of 20%. And, when everything is added up, that could amount to 7% of a data-center‘s power budget.
A breakthrough by researchers at the University of Illinois
A research team from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois headed by Associate Professor Pavan Kumar Hanumolu and PhD student and lead author Tejasvi Anand have developed a transceiver that converts the “always on” serial link into a burst-mode communication link that is able to power-off when idle and quickly power-on when required.
“Ideally, a burst mode link must be turned on/off in zero time, must consume zero power in the off-state and must incur zero energy overhead while making on/off transitions,” from the abstract of the team’s research paper. “However, these requirements are difficult to meet in practice and as a consequence, the efficacy of burst mode communication in achieving energy proportional operation is reduced.”
Difficult but doable
Hanumolu explains the research sponsored by Semiconductor Research Corporation (which is part of North Carolina’s Research Triangle Park) was to reduce serial-link power consumption by eliminating the link’s power component.
The Latest on: Data center power savings
via Google News
The Latest on: Data center power savings
- Capstone Turbine Corporation: Capstone Turbine Receives 600-Kilowatt Clean Energy Order for a Data Center Application in Eastern Europeon April 22, 2021 at 6:01 am
Trigeneration System to Save Money & Generate IT-Grade Power VAN NUYS, CA / ACCESSWIRE / April 6, 2021 / Capstone Turbine Corporation ( (NASDAQ:CPST), the world's leading manufacturer ...
- Put your head in the cloud: Microsoft unveils immersive digital tour for deep dive on data centerson April 20, 2021 at 9:09 am
As you point and click your way around various aspects of your digital life today, whether you're hosting a virtual work meeting or playing a video game, save some time for a new immersive ...
- Microsoft is sharing previously secret information to help cloud customers save energyon April 20, 2021 at 6:00 am
Microsoft has begun sharing regional energy usage data with customers that have signed nondisclosure agreements.
- T-Systems launches net-zero off-grid data center projecton April 20, 2021 at 2:57 am
Deutsche Telekom’s T-Systems has partnered with the Fraunhofer Institute for Factory Operation and Automation (IFF) for a new sustainability research project at its Biere and Magdeburg data centers in ...
- Save 97% off this Fundamentals of Power & Electrical Engineering Bundleon April 18, 2021 at 5:46 am
Build a solid foundation in Power Engineering and boost your career with 32 hours of content on mechanical, electrical, power, and other systems with today's highlighted multi-course deal.
- Power Energy Saving Services Market 2021 : Revenue, Growth Rate, Market Size, Restraints, Forecast Analysis by 2026 with Top Countries Dataon April 14, 2021 at 7:26 pm
According to 360 Research Reports, the “Power Energy Saving Services Market" 2021 by Types (Power Generation Energy ...
- Opinion: Douglas County Commissioners provide perspective on Microsoft Data Centeron April 13, 2021 at 3:03 pm
From our perspective, the suggestion that large companies like Microsoft and Sabey seeking to invest and do business in Douglas County is being done by the subsidizing of the PUD’s other ratepayers is ...
- Green Data Center Market revenues to obtain $140.3 billion by 2026on April 12, 2021 at 10:10 am
According to a new market research report "Green Data Center Market by Component (Solutions [Power, IT, Cooling] and Services [Design ... green initiatives for their regular IT operations to save ...
- AI for data center cooling: More than a pipe dreamon April 12, 2021 at 8:27 am
You have likely heard the story about Google using a deep learning-based recommendation engine developed by DeepMind to “consistently” reduce the amount of energy used for cooling in one of its data ...
- Video: DOE lauds Iron Mountain Data Centers for energy efficiency leadershipon April 12, 2021 at 7:58 am
Iron Mountain Data Centers has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) for its commitment to energy efficiency through DOE’s Better Buildings Challenge. Since joining the program in ...
via Bing News