Engineering researchers at the University of Arkansas have invented a novel electrical power converter system that simultaneously accepts power from a variety of energy sources and converts it for use in the electrical grid system
Doctoral student Joseph Carr developed the system with his adviser, Juan Balda, University Professor and head of the department of electrical engineering.
Innovations in this field are critical as the United States moves toward integration of renewable energy sources to the national power grid.
The U.S. Department of Energy pursued and was granted a U.S. patent for the technology and is now seeking licensing opportunities for potential commercialization. The research was sponsored by a Department of Energy grant.
“It is very gratifying when doctoral students who invest many hours working on various research ideas are rewarded with a patent,” Balda said. “At the same time, it is an indication of research work that several faculty members and their students are doing in the field of future energy systems.”
The availability and use of renewable energy sources, such as solar, geothermal and wind, and their associated harvesting systems increase the need for new power converters that can efficiently convert diverse energy sources to work across modern electrical grid systems. Current renewable energy conversion systems are bulky, inefficient and struggle to accept multiple inputs from diverse sources.
The researchers’ high-frequency matrix converter addresses these shortcomings. Its simplified control system uses power converters to allow connection of a variety of power sources to a small, high-frequency transformer. Then, using a high-frequency matrix converter, it produces stable electricity ready to be supplied to the electrical grid system.
Read more: U of A Research Team Invents Electrical Power Converter for Renewable Energy
The Latest on: Power Converter for Renewable Energy
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Power Converter for Renewable Energy” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Power Converter for Renewable Energy
- Infineon upbeat on next-gen power chips as broader market struggleson March 22, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Group focuses on advanced materials with greater capacity and efficiency than conventional silicon-based semiconductors ...
- Global Power Optimizers Market Outlook to 2027: Decreasing Cost of Renewable Energy Generation Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.comon March 22, 2023 at 4:30 am
A DC-DC converter, known as a "power optimizer" can transfer the maximum amount of PV panel energy possible. Another name for this function is "maximum power point tracking" (MPPT). MPPT is used to ...
- EcoFlow offers smart modular power solutions for campervans and off-grid living in Australiaon March 20, 2023 at 7:23 pm
The EcoFlow Power Kits are designed to create custom power solutions easier than ever,” said Joy Wu, Regional Head of LAMEA & APAC at EcoFlow. “EcoFlow wants to offer energy solutions that can be ...
- Vietnam looks to offshore wind power in transition to renewable energyon March 16, 2023 at 6:03 am
as it sees wind power as a breakthrough solution to accelerating the adoption of renewable energy and ensuring national energy security, according to the latest draft of the power development plan.
- Extending The Power Grid’s Boundaries With HVDC-VSCon March 14, 2023 at 5:00 pm
HVDC-VSC is playing an important part in moving enormous blocks of power extreme distances as all of these pieces of technology come together. Offshore wind farms have taken renewable energy ...
- Renewable Energy Integration Market 2023 Value with Status and Global Analysis - NREL, Enel, Vattenfall ABon March 8, 2023 at 9:31 pm
Renewable Energy is being interconnected with electric power systems at increasing rates and now makes up more than 20% ...
- In 2022, Renewable Energy Is Going To Be The Way Forwardon March 8, 2023 at 11:42 am
To counter that, renewable energy is ... increasingly used for generation of energy from biomass sources. In the hydropower space, deployment of energy converters is expected to lead to more ...
- Global Wave Energy Converter Market Analysis Report 2023: A $30+ Million Market by 2030 - Oscillating Water Column Demand Is Rising Swiftlyon March 6, 2023 at 6:05 am
Dublin, March 06, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Global Wave Energy Converter Market Size ... This can be credited to the growing demand for power from renewable sources because of their low ...
- WA's slow renewable energy transition raises doubts about whether coal power stations can close by 2029on March 4, 2023 at 12:22 pm
New data shows the state received just 5 per cent of the renewable energy capacity planned last year That has raised doubts about whether coal-fired power stations will be able to close at the end ...
- Beacon Wind to Repower Community with Renewable Energy Facilityon March 3, 2023 at 10:03 am
Million Investment Directly into Community for New Technology and Media Center Today, Equinor and bp announced two major initiatives focused on Astoria: the purchase of the Astoria Gas Turbines site f ...
via Bing News