Genetic engineering allows biomass-degrading bacterium to make fuel in a single process
The conventional strategy for producing ethanol from plant biomass requires costly pretreatment and enzyme-driven reactions. Refining another strategy known as consolidated bioprocessing (CPB) could reduce costs. In second-generation CPB, a microorganism splits of water and ferments the products to ethanol, reducing the cost. Now, scientists engineered a strain of a CBP bacterium calledCaldicellulosiruptor bescii that efficiently breaks down biomass without pretreatment. The microbe produces ethanol, demonstrating the successful conversion of switchgrass cellulosic biomass.
Direct conversion of biomass to ethanol without pretreatment represents a new paradigm for CPB, offering the potential for carbon-neutral, cost-effective, and sustainable biofuel production.
Producing ethanol from plant biomass typically requires three major steps: physicochemical pretreatment, enzymatic breakdown of biomass into its constituent sugars, and fermentation. Pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis are costly steps in the process. CBP could reduce costs. In CBP, unpretreated cellulosic biomass is converted to a biofuel in a single process by a microbe that breaks down the biomass and ferments the resulting sugars.Caldicellulosiruptor bescii had been shown to ferment untreated switchgrass, but it lacked the genes to make ethanol.
The Latest on: Consolidated Bioprocessing
via Google News
The Latest on: Consolidated Bioprocessing
- Single-use Bioreactors Market Size Worth $7.76 Billion By 2028: Grand View Research, Inc.on January 18, 2022 at 5:36 am
Advantages offered by Single-Use Technology (SUT), such as significant reduction in capital cost and facility construction time, have proliferated the use of disposables in the bioprocessing industry.
- Recent Advancements in Test Methods for evaluation of Bioethanolon January 13, 2022 at 4:00 pm
The increased effort for renewable sources of energy has promoted a variety of alternate energy sources introduced into industry. One of these renewable sources of energy is biomass and biofuel.
- Biotech breakthrough turns waste biomass into high value chemicalson January 7, 2022 at 12:09 am
Major scientific and bioprocessing challenges must still be met if alternative bio-based strategies are to become competitive with existing processes. This study reports a consolidated ...
- Contract Biomanufacturing Services Global Market: Global Industry, Trends, Market Size, Forecast up to 2030on January 5, 2022 at 10:39 pm
Most of the CMO based biomanufacturing capacity is consolidated with major players ... availability of advanced bioprocessing capabilities among the contract bioservice providers and the ...
- Scientists Win a Game of Bacterial Hide-And-Seekon January 4, 2022 at 6:35 am
The image slices are then consolidated to construct a three-dimensional view of the most intricate of tissues. In doing so, scientists can shine a spotlight on exactly where surviving bacteria are ...
- Repligen Corporation to Present at 40th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conferenceon December 30, 2021 at 4:36 am
WALTHAM, Mass., Dec. 30, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Repligen Corporation (NASDAQ:RGEN), a life sciences company focused on bioprocessing technology leadership, today announced that it will present ...
- Lee Rybeck Lynd: The transition will be smoothon December 12, 2021 at 2:50 am
The name of this process is consolidated bioprocessing/CBP, in which the four transformations involved in the production of bioethanol (production of enzymes, saccharification, fermentation of hexoses ...
- Engineering for biofuels: exploiting innate microbial capacity or importing biosynthetic potential?on December 10, 2021 at 12:21 pm
gene selection choices involved in pathway engineering and the choice between multiorganism- and single organism-based consolidated bioprocessing. We conclude with a summary of the lessons learned ...
- Bagasse is the targeton July 29, 2020 at 11:28 am
In the United States, research is focused on a technique called consolidated bioprocessing, in which the four biological transformations involved in the production of bio-ethanol (production of ...
- BDX Tops 3Q Earnings and Revson August 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm
Domestic revenues were negatively affected by the order timings in Advanced Bioprocessing and softness ... 51.6% in the reported quarter. Consolidated operating costs and expenses increased ...
via Bing News