Researchers in Switzerland and Japan have developed a rapid, simple and safe method for generating large libraries of novel organic molecules in a fraction of the time required for traditional organic synthesis.
Led by Professor Jeffrey Bode of the Institute of Transformative Bio-Molecules at Nagoya University in Japan, the research team is now applying its “synthetic fermentation” strategy to make molecular kits that can be used simply and safely to discover novel antibiotics.
Microorganisms can synthesise mixtures of complex organic molecules, such as antibiotics, from simple organic building blocks by fermentation. Inspired by this approach, Professor Bode and his colleagues found that they could make large mixtures of biologically active compounds from a few chemical ingredients in just a few hours, rather than the months it would normally take trained chemists. To do so, the team applied a powerful bond-making reaction, called KAHA (alphaketoacid-hydroxylamine) ligation, which enables the rapid formation of “amide” chemical bonds, found in peptides and proteins. The KAHA ligation uses special types of organic molecules to form new bonds without the usual need for toxic chemical reagents.
Using synthetic fermentation, the researchers have shown that about 6,000 novel peptides can be made from only 23 building blocks. What’s more, they have demonstrated the practicality of this approach by identifying a novel molecule that blocks a key enzyme used by the hepatitis C virus.
“Our dream is to provide a do-it-yourself method – one that can be applied by anyone, anywhere to make and assess millions of organic molecules, without using dangerous reagents,” says Professor Bode. “For example, we envision that synthetic fermentation could be used by farmers to generate and identify new antibacterial or anti-fungal molecules to treat plant diseases.” By combining a handful of molecules in a variety of ways, a farmer could identify a novel combination that treats plant infections.
Read more: Future antibiotic-making kit for amateurs?
The Latest on: Molecular kits
via Google News
The Latest on: Molecular kits
- In Vitro Diagnostic Kit Market Size, Share, Industry Trends, Demand and Top Players and a CAGR of 6.5% By 2028 | 111 Pages Reporton June 24, 2022 at 12:11 am
Jun 24, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "In Vitro Diagnostic Kit Market" 2022 aims to give detailed analysis of market opportunities, industry share combined ...
- Molecular Diagnostics Market worth $30.2 billion by 2027 - Report by MarketsandMarkets™on June 22, 2022 at 9:00 am
According to the new market research report "Molecular Diagnostics Market by Product & Service (Reagents, Kits, Instruments), Test Type (Lab, PoC), Technology (PCR, INAAT, NGS, ISH), Application ...
- The DNA Extraction Kit Market to Grow at a CAGR of 7.7% by 2027. Growth Driven by Increasing Genomics & Regenerative Medicine Projects – Ariztonon June 17, 2022 at 3:08 pm
The DNA extraction kit market size was valued at $1.3 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach $2.1 billion by 2027.Chicago, June 17, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- According to Arizton latest research ...
- World Molecular Diagnostics Markets, 2022-2027 - Increasing Prevalence of Infectious Diseases and Cancer is Expected to Support Market Growthon June 14, 2022 at 1:43 am
The "Global Molecular Diagnostics Market by Product & Service (Reagents, Kits, Instruments), Test Type (Lab, PoC), Technology (PCR, INAAT, NGS, ISH), Application (Infectious, Oncology, Genetic Testing ...
- Global Molecular Diagnostics Market Report 2020: Market to reach USD 16.49 Billion by 2027on June 8, 2022 at 2:07 am
The global Molecular Diagnostics Market is expected ... for COVID-19 has caused an immense demand for the diagnostic kits. The manufacturers are facing a severe shortage in the supply of ...
- Molecular Biology Enzymes And Kits And Reagents Market Size, Share, Growth And Trends, Forecast 2022 - 2031on May 26, 2022 at 2:37 am
Kenneth Research has recently added a report titled Molecular Biology Enzymes and Kits and Reagents Market in its storehouse of market research reports. The report provides a detailed insight into ...
- Molecular Diagnostics Market Revenue, Regional & Country Share, Key Factors, Trends & Analysis, To 2022-2031on May 26, 2022 at 1:37 am
“The reagents & kits segment to dominate the molecular diagnostics market, by product & service in 2018.” Based on product and service, the molecular diagnostics market is segmented into ...
- Molecular Biology Enzymes and Kits and Reagents Market Size, Share, Growth and Trends, Forecast 2022 – 2031on May 25, 2022 at 8:44 pm
May 26, 2022 (AmericaNewsHour) -- Kenneth Research has recently added a report titled Molecular Biology Enzymes and Kits and Reagents Market in its storehouse of market research reports.
via Bing News