In 1996, a trio of scientists won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for their discovery of Buckminsterfullerene — soccer-ball-shaped spheres of 60 joined carbon atoms that exhibit special physical properties. Now, 20 years later, scientists have figured out how to turn them into Buckybombs.
These nanoscale explosives show potential for use in fighting cancer, with the hope that they could one day target and eliminate cancer at the cellular level — triggering tiny explosions that kill cancer cells with minimal impact on surrounding tissue.
“Future applications would probably use other types of carbon structures — such as carbon nanotubes, but we started with Bucky-balls because they’re very stable, and a lot is known about them,” said Oleg V. Prezhdo, professor of chemistry at the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences and corresponding author of a paper on the new explosives that was published in The Journal of Physical Chemistry on February 24.
Carbon nanotubes, close relatives of buckyballs, are used already to treat cancer. They can be accumulated in cancer cells and heated up by a laser, which penetrates through surrounding tissues without affecting them, and targets carbon nanotubes directly. Modifying carbon nanotubes the same way as the buckybombs will make the cancer treatment more efficient — reducing the amount of treatment needed, Prezhdo said.
To build the miniature explosives, Prezhdo and his colleagues attached 12 nitrous oxide molecules to a single Bucky-Ball and then heated it. Within picoseconds, the Bucky-Ball disintegrated — increasing temperature by thousands of degrees in a controlled explosion.
The Latest on: Nanoscale Explosives
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Nanoscale Explosives” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Nanoscale Explosives
- Explosive detonated outside Alabama attorney general’s office, authorities sayon February 27, 2024 at 6:52 am
An explosive detonated outside Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall’s (R) office in Montgomery, officials announced Monday. Marshall said in a statement the explosive device detonated outside ...
- Alabama attorney general says explosive device detonated outside office over weekendon February 26, 2024 at 2:00 pm
Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall said an explosive device detonated outside his office over the weekend but no one was hurt. "In the early hours of Saturday, February 24, an explosive ...
- Homemade Explosive Detonates and Kills Man Inside His Hawaii Home, Police Say: ‘Tragic Incident'on February 23, 2024 at 10:58 am
Jasper Gunsell was found dead inside his home in Kīlauea after seemingly sustaining "extensive injuries consistent with an explosive event," according to police Abigail Adams is a Human Interest ...
- Police seize explosives, arrest man after search at Orangevale homeon February 22, 2024 at 1:37 pm
Investigators found a large amount of drugs, guns and explosives while serving a search warrant in Orangevale on Wednesday, the Folsom Police Department said.Detectives searched a home in the 9100 ...
- Jess from 'Love is Blind' Season 6 dishes on her explosive last date with Jimmyon February 14, 2024 at 11:55 am
Spoiler alert: The following contains details from the first four episodes of Netflix's "Love is Blind" Season 6 (now streaming). Amid a handful of love stories taking shape so far on Season 6 of ...
- Moldova to destroy explosives found in Shahed drone near Ukraine borderon February 12, 2024 at 7:57 am
Authorities in Moldova said Monday they will destroy explosives discovered in a part of a Shahed drone that crashed on its territory from the war in neighboring Ukraine, while the foreign minister ...
- Moldova destroyed explosives found in a Shahed drone that strayed from the war in Ukraineon February 11, 2024 at 8:51 pm
Authorities in Moldova say they destroyed explosives discovered in a part of a Shahed drone that crashed on its territory from the war in neighboring Ukraine BUCHAREST, Romania -- Authorities in ...
- Moldova destroyed explosives found in a Shahed drone that strayed from the war in Ukraineon February 11, 2024 at 3:59 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — Authorities in Moldova said Monday they destroyed explosives discovered in a part of a Shahed drone that crashed on its territory from the war in neighboring Ukraine, while ...
- Insider: Shane Steichen's focus on explosive plays define Colts offseasonon February 11, 2024 at 2:13 am
“We have to get more explosive (plays) on offense,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard said at the end of the season. “And we have to be able to eliminate the explosives on defense.
- Hidden Cache of Russian Grenade Launchers and Explosives Uncoveredon February 8, 2024 at 8:14 am
Ukrainian authorities have uncovered three stockpiles of Russian weapons and explosives it was announced on Thursday. Russian forces left "hidden weapons" for future sabotage and reconnaissance ...
via Bing News