When you’re preparing to launch a computing platform for self-driving cars, it helps to bring one of the leading voices in automotive innovation along for the ride.
That’s just what NVIDIA CEO and co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang did in his opening keynote at the 2015 GPU Technology Conference. Just moments after announcing NVIDIA’s DRIVE PX self-driving car computer, he sat down for a quick fireside chat with Musk, who, as usual, put the pedal to the metal.
“We’ll take autonomous cars for granted in quite a short time,” Musk told a crowd of some 4,000 at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center. “I almost view it as a solved problem. We know what to do, and we’ll be there in a few years.”
Musk—who also is co-founder and CEO of Space X, has floated an idea for an ambitious system of pod-like transports, and recently compared the development of artificial intelligence to “summoning the demon”—made it clear that NVIDIA’s advances in GPU technology will play a key role.
“What NVIDIA is doing with Tegra is really interesting and really important for self-driving in the future,” said Musk.
Not that Musk thinks autonomous cars will come easily. It’s a long road to get from developing the capabilities to implementing them. For example, he predicts that regulators will be loathe to allow self-driving vehicles until they’re presented two or three years of compelling evidence about their safety in comparison to driver-controlled vehicles.
Musk also cautioned that we’ll eventually will have to embrace a seismic change in our relationship with cars as regulators struggle with how to transition from driver-controlled vehicles to those controlled by computers.
Bottom line: at some point, people may not be trusted behind the wheel anymore.
“In the distant future, (legislators} may outlaw driven cars because they’re too dangerous,” he said.
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
via Google News
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
- Self-Driving Cars' Look, Feel Is Clearer through Final U.S. Safety Ruleson January 23, 2021 at 11:30 am
The bottom line is that an autonomous vehicle designed to carry people and drive itself has to protect those people just like every other vehicle.
- Waymo CEO Says Tesla Is Not A Competitor, Gives Estimated Cost Of Autonomous Vehicleson January 22, 2021 at 7:01 pm
In an interview with German business publication Manager Magazin, Waymo CEO John Krafcik gave an idea of how much each one of the company’s vehicles will cost.
- Global Autonomous Commercial Vehicle Markets, 2020-2030 - Opportunities in Robotic Assistance for the Purpose of Deliveryon January 22, 2021 at 1:15 pm
The "Autonomous Commercial Vehicle Market Research Report: By Vehicle Autonomy, Vehicle Type, Fuel Type, Application - Global Industry ...
- ‘Wind River’ Outfit Savvy Media Options Driverless Cars Story ‘Driven’, Which Profiles Former Google Engineer Pardoned By Trumpon January 22, 2021 at 8:22 am
Wind River and A Private War outfit Savvy Media has acquired rights to Business Insider (formerly Wired) journalist Alex Davies’ book Driven: The Race To Create The Autonomous Car.
- Electric cars and autonomous vehicles are gaining traction across the industryon January 22, 2021 at 7:00 am
The future of the automotive industry is changing so rapidly that it's hard to predict precisely how people are going to get from here to there in the future.
- Honda to use Cruise autonomous vehicles in Japan taxi serviceon January 22, 2021 at 5:09 am
Honda will begin testing autonomous Cruise vehicles in Japan this year, with an eye on launching an autonomous taxi service.
- Autonomous Commercial Vehicle Market Research Report - Global Industry Analysis and Growth Forecast to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 21, 2021 at 4:34 am
By Vehicle Autonomy, Vehicle Type, Fuel Type, Application - Global Industry Analysis and Growth Forecast to 2030” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. The global autonomous ...
- Autonomous Car Technology Market 2021 Share, Size, Production, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis and Forecast to 2026on January 21, 2021 at 3:48 am
Global “ Autonomous Car Technology Market ” research report contains in depth information of industry by size, major manufacturers, growth rate, drivers and challenges, industry trends, and their ...
- Use of autonomous vehicles in mining and farming touted at CES 2021on January 20, 2021 at 10:23 am
Caterpillar and John Deere showcased autonomous machines that are being used worldwide in farming and mining projects.
- Microsoft invests in Cruise, a company that develops driverless carson January 20, 2021 at 10:15 am
This investment will raise Cruise's subsequent valuation to $ 30 billion. Its objective will be to accelerate the commercialization of self-driving vehicles.
via Bing News