When you’re preparing to launch a computing platform for self-driving cars, it helps to bring one of the leading voices in automotive innovation along for the ride.
That’s just what NVIDIA CEO and co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang did in his opening keynote at the 2015 GPU Technology Conference. Just moments after announcing NVIDIA’s DRIVE PX self-driving car computer, he sat down for a quick fireside chat with Musk, who, as usual, put the pedal to the metal.
“We’ll take autonomous cars for granted in quite a short time,” Musk told a crowd of some 4,000 at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center. “I almost view it as a solved problem. We know what to do, and we’ll be there in a few years.”
Musk—who also is co-founder and CEO of Space X, has floated an idea for an ambitious system of pod-like transports, and recently compared the development of artificial intelligence to “summoning the demon”—made it clear that NVIDIA’s advances in GPU technology will play a key role.
“What NVIDIA is doing with Tegra is really interesting and really important for self-driving in the future,” said Musk.
Not that Musk thinks autonomous cars will come easily. It’s a long road to get from developing the capabilities to implementing them. For example, he predicts that regulators will be loathe to allow self-driving vehicles until they’re presented two or three years of compelling evidence about their safety in comparison to driver-controlled vehicles.
Musk also cautioned that we’ll eventually will have to embrace a seismic change in our relationship with cars as regulators struggle with how to transition from driver-controlled vehicles to those controlled by computers.
Bottom line: at some point, people may not be trusted behind the wheel anymore.
“In the distant future, (legislators} may outlaw driven cars because they’re too dangerous,” he said.
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
via Google News
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
- On the road to autonomous vehicles: What we all need to knowon January 26, 2021 at 3:54 pm
The autonomous vehicle industry has accelerated significantly over the last several years and continues to rapidly expand. How auto insurance can meet society’s needs in an AV world.
- Tesla, Google’s Waymo at Odds Over Full Vehicle Autonomyon January 26, 2021 at 3:38 pm
Waymo's CEO claims that Tesla Inc. made an error in their approach to developing fully autonomous cars. He says that the autopilot cannot be fully autonomous.
- Autonomous car startup Uisee raises $150 million from state-backed fundon January 26, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Uisee is benefiting from investor interest in Chinese AV startups as the Covid-19 pandemic pushes unmanned transport applications.
- Autonomous Vehicles & Insurance (FCL Jan 26)on January 26, 2021 at 1:06 pm
Autonomous vehicle technology is advancing every day with nearly every major auto manufacturer and tech company getting involved.
- What's Driving Foresight Autonomous Shares 17% Higher Tuesday?on January 26, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Shares of Foresight Autonomous Holdings (NASDAQ:FRSX), a designer and developer of sensor systems for the automotive industry, are up 17% Tuesday afternoon after the company received positive patent ...
- Waymo CEO tells Tesla that 'this is not how it is done', regarding the autonomous car driving systemon January 26, 2021 at 12:05 pm
John Krafcik , CEO of Waymo , a subsidiary of Alphabet , commented that Tesla has taken the wrong approach in developing its "total driving system" for autonomous cars, according to an interview he ...
- Designing An Electric Or Autonomous Vehicle Is Like Designing A Smartphoneon January 26, 2021 at 5:21 am
Smartphones require the latest technology to increase device functionality and to improve system efficiency to prolong battery life. EVs and AVs face similar challenges.
- Tesla's dominant autonomous EV leadership, ride-hailing services, and the Boring Companyon January 25, 2021 at 7:42 pm
According to ARK INVEST analyst firm, Tesla is three to four years ahead of all autonomous electrical vehicle competitors.
- First commercial autonomous bus services hit Singapore roadson January 25, 2021 at 10:11 am
Country's first commercial driverless bus services will run two routes at Singapore Science Park 2 and Jurong Island over a three-month pilot, during which data will be collected to assess the ...
- China Autonomous Delivery Vehicle Industry Report 2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 25, 2021 at 3:24 am
The “Autonomous Delivery Vehicle Industry Report, 2020” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. Autonomous delivery is bifurcated into indoor autonomous delivery and outdoor ...
via Bing News