When you’re preparing to launch a computing platform for self-driving cars, it helps to bring one of the leading voices in automotive innovation along for the ride.
That’s just what NVIDIA CEO and co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang did in his opening keynote at the 2015 GPU Technology Conference. Just moments after announcing NVIDIA’s DRIVE PX self-driving car computer, he sat down for a quick fireside chat with Musk, who, as usual, put the pedal to the metal.
“We’ll take autonomous cars for granted in quite a short time,” Musk told a crowd of some 4,000 at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center. “I almost view it as a solved problem. We know what to do, and we’ll be there in a few years.”
Musk—who also is co-founder and CEO of Space X, has floated an idea for an ambitious system of pod-like transports, and recently compared the development of artificial intelligence to “summoning the demon”—made it clear that NVIDIA’s advances in GPU technology will play a key role.
“What NVIDIA is doing with Tegra is really interesting and really important for self-driving in the future,” said Musk.
Not that Musk thinks autonomous cars will come easily. It’s a long road to get from developing the capabilities to implementing them. For example, he predicts that regulators will be loathe to allow self-driving vehicles until they’re presented two or three years of compelling evidence about their safety in comparison to driver-controlled vehicles.
Musk also cautioned that we’ll eventually will have to embrace a seismic change in our relationship with cars as regulators struggle with how to transition from driver-controlled vehicles to those controlled by computers.
Bottom line: at some point, people may not be trusted behind the wheel anymore.
“In the distant future, (legislators} may outlaw driven cars because they’re too dangerous,” he said.
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
via Google News
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
- Hi-tech Robotic Systemz: Building indigenous autonomous vehicleson February 24, 2021 at 6:00 pm
By Srinath Srinivasan Talk about robots and what comes to mind immediately are the cute, doll-like robots made by Japanese companies or the heavy machine-like German robots. However, a start has been ...
- HD Maps for Autonomous Vehicles Market Key Companies, Business Opportunities, Competitive Landscape and Industry Analysis Research Report by 2027on February 24, 2021 at 12:53 pm
Increasing need to improve driver safety and comfort and deconjest road traffic are some key factors driving global HD maps for autonomous vehicles market growth.
- Your first driverless car is decades, not years, awayon February 24, 2021 at 4:00 am
There was a time not that long ago when it felt like consumer-level driverless vehicles might be just around the corner. The car companies were hyping the technology. The media ...
- Why driverless cars are paradise on wheels for someon February 24, 2021 at 1:59 am
In a series of conversations between film director Martin Scorsese, 78, and the famously acerbic humorist Fran Lebowitz, in the Netflix series “Pretend It’s a City,” somehow the subject of ...
- V2X is key to truly autonomous vehicleson February 23, 2021 at 9:01 pm
The autonomous car promises to improve road safety by reducing the number of serious accidents. Furthermore, it will make it possible to fluidify traffic thanks to inter-vehicle communication, as well ...
- Driverless cars successfully tested in Las Vegason February 23, 2021 at 12:21 pm
The first autonomous cars without a safety driver at the wheel were successfully tested in Las Vegas this month, automotive technology startup Motional announced Monday.
- EU report warns that AI makes autonomous vehicles ‘highly vulnerable’ to attackon February 22, 2021 at 5:05 pm
A European Union Agency for Cybersecurity report says machine learning should be considered part of the autonomous vehicle supply chain.
- To the list of places testing driverless cars, add Las Vegason February 22, 2021 at 2:19 pm
Hyundai's joint venture with Aptiv is testing driverless cars on public streets. A fleet of robotaxis could soon follow.
- Inside the race to create the driverless caron February 22, 2021 at 1:11 pm
Posted . The battle to dominate the next generation of cars hinges in part on autonomous driving technology. Google has b ...
- CloudNC Believes The Future Of CNC Manufacturing Is Autonomouson February 22, 2021 at 7:46 am
CloudNC is bringing an End-to-End Autonomy revolution to CNC manufacturing, across machines, factories and ecosystems ...
via Bing News