Socially intelligent computers can turn difficult online negotiations into win?win situations through tactical information disclosure
Programming fundamental ‘social intelligence’ skills into software agents can make humans substantially more trusting of online negotiations, which can lead to superior outcomes in e-commerce transactions, finds an A*A*STAR-led team of technology researchers, business experts and cognitive scientists.
Automated software agents that bargain for the best deals on the Internet are widely used for business-to-business sales and processes. However, as people are naturally skeptical of negotiations lacking face-to-face contact, engineers are seeking ways to make such software less intimidating.
Yinping Yang from the A*STAR Institute of High Performance Computing explains that it is challenging to create a computerized negotiator with enough social skills to put people at ease. “These agents have to elicit cooperative behavior such as making concessions while maintaining the negotiation goals,” says Yang. “This requires transdisciplinary knowledge of business and social communications as well as careful computational coding of social-psychological rules.”
Yang and her collaborators from academia and industry realized that one way for computers to gain the trust of human negotiators was to proactively share certain information. For example, the software agent could express that its priority is distribution and offer one price for immediate delivery of merchandise and a lower one for delivery in two weeks — a flexibility that signals a willingness to search for mutual benefits.
To test their theory, the team gave 54 MBA students the opportunity to bargain with software designed to simulate the real-world purchasing of laptop computers. They instructed the students to negotiate with an online agent over four key factors — price per unit, quantity, service level and delivery terms — while keeping in mind that their top priority should be obtaining a low unit price.
Read more: Social technology Solving the trust equation
The Latest on: Social technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Social technology
- mCloud Enters Into Technology Continuation Agreement with Agnity Global Inc.on August 2, 2022 at 4:10 am
The Technology Continuation Agreement will replace the royalty agreement between mCloud and Agnity originally announced on June 21, 2018. Under the terms of the Technology Continuation Agreement, ...
- Atlas Travel & Technology Group Receives B Corporation Certificationon August 2, 2022 at 4:02 am
The travel management company is the first in the U.S. to achieve prestigious certificationMARLBOROUGH, Mass., Aug. 02, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Atlas Travel & Technology Group (ATTG) has earned its ...
- Limit social media exposure of 13- to 17-year-olds to 30 minutes a day – lawmakeron August 2, 2022 at 2:35 am
A lawmaker has filed a bill before the House of Representatives aiming to limit social media exposure of minors aged 13-17 to only 30 minutes a day. Santa Rosa City Rep.
- Localz Partners with MRI Software to Improve the Resident Experience and Drive Savings for the Social Housing Marketon August 2, 2022 at 1:00 am
Localz, leading experts in last-mile location and messaging technology, have partnered with MRI Software, a global leader in real estate technology, to improve customer experience, increase first-time ...
- Eight photo-centric social sites that are not Instagramon August 1, 2022 at 12:40 pm
In a recent (and very funny) blog post, The Verge’s Liz Lopatto bemoans the ad-ification and TikTok-ification of Instagram and other social media sites. “Can someone just build a simple photo app that ...
- W3BCLOUD to Go Public via Business Combination With Social Leverage Acquisition Corp Ion August 1, 2022 at 4:02 am
Publicly traded special purpose acquisition company, Social Leverage Acquisition Corp I (NYSE: SLAC) (“SLAC”), with $345 million in trust, today announced that it has entered into a definitive ...
- Creative Technology – It’s more than just automationon July 31, 2022 at 5:30 pm
While it is crucial for the industry to address the impending shakeup, it is also important to take a step back and consider another important aspect of overall marketing strategy: Creative technology ...
- Will tech companies be held liable for teen social media addiction?on July 31, 2022 at 6:45 am
From “thinfluencers” to widgets, the tools that fuel social media addiction are coming under fire in the California legislature.
- How Social Media Is Changing Chronic Illnesson July 30, 2022 at 6:00 am
Today, more than half of US adults live with at least one chronic illness, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If you have a chronic illness, like heart disease, arthritis ...
- Half of all Australians will be victims of technology-facilitated abuse, new research findson July 28, 2022 at 7:20 am
One in two Australians will be victims of technology-facilitated abuse in their lifetimes, and one in four will be perpetrators of such abuse, new research led by Monash University has revealed.
via Bing News