Scared of needles? Here’s some good news: in the future, you might be able to rub a vaccination into your skin.
Researchers at the University of Auckland have found a way to deliver medicines through skin, which is usually an impervious barrier.
“It’s like wearing a raincoat – it stops the water getting in, we go out in the rain and we don’t melt, stops all those nasty chemicals getting through our skin most of the time,” says Dr Dareen Svirskis, senior pharmacy lecturer.
“This is potentially a breakthrough peptide technology,” says Professor Julia Kennedy, head of Auckland University’s School of Pharmacy. “Obtaining a biological response from applying substances through the skin is very difficult to achieve and approaches can be extremely expensive.”
For the past four years senior pharmacy lecturer Zimei Wu has been supervising research by PhD candidate Travis Badenhorst, with the assistance of Dr Svirskis. Dr Svirskis says their breakthrough allows drugs to be delivered directly to cells through the skin.
“What Zimei’s envisaged is to develop this tiny little nano formulation, these tiny little nano carriers. We can put the peptide inside that, and what’s amazing is that we’ve seen for the first time that it can be delivered to the skin, it’ll pass through the skin and it’ll be taken up in cells.
“We’ve seen this in cell cultures for the first time biologically, and we’ve seen this in human skin as well.”
The research was financially backed by the Government and Auckland-based skincare company Snowberry, which has applied for a patent on the process.
And there’s a good reason a cosmetics company backed the research – Dr Svirskis says the technology is perfect for anti-aging products, and outperformed every existing commercial product they compared it to during testing.
“The cosmetic route’s a lot faster to get a product to people. When we start talking about medical devices or vaccine delivery, then yes, there’s years of testing they have to go through to ensure the safety and efficacy of these products.”
The Latest on: Peptide technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Peptide technology
- Vaxxinity’s Anti-PCSK9 Candidate Demonstrates Durable LDL Cholesterol Lowering in Non-Human Primateson August 2, 2022 at 5:00 am
Results support Anti-PCSK9 vaccine approach to treat hypercholesterolemia by lowering LDL cholesterolVXX-401 selected as Lead Candidate to treat hypercholesterolemia DALLAS, Aug. 02, 2022 (GLOBE ...
- Peptide Synthesizer Market Size 2022, projected revenue figures, growth rate throughout the forecast period 2027on July 30, 2022 at 12:00 am
Peptide Synthesizer Market Report will incorporate the examination ... Top Key Players of the Market: Biotage, Advanced ChemTech Inc., HB Technologies AG (Intavis), PerSpective Biosystems, Inc., GYROS ...
- BOC Sciences Poised for Complex Peptide Mass Production with a Comprehensive Synthesis Platformon July 29, 2022 at 1:56 pm
BOC Sciences publicly introduces itself as a peptide supplier that has passed the GMP certification of the United States and the European Union. It has been concentrating on the development of ...
- Researchers cook up new recipe for pretzel-shaped peptideson July 29, 2022 at 6:40 am
Researchers from The Australian National University (ANU) have developed a new way to synthesize bicyclic peptides, with major implications for future research into drug treatments for a range of ...
- Novel Antibody/Peptide R&D Services to Expedite Research on Toxoplasmosis Diagnosis and Treatmenton July 28, 2022 at 10:12 am
As it presents an urgency to fight against this parasite, global researchers are dedicated to developing antibodies and peptides for Toxoplasma diagnosis and treatment. As an active player in the ...
- Peptide and Anticoagulant Drugs Market to Reach USD 2.15 Billion by 2028 | BlueWeave Consultingon July 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
In terms of revenue, North America dominated the market. The region's growth is attributed to high demand for novel therapeutics, a strong presence of market players, early diagnosis, developed ...
- Amytrx Therapeutics Partners With AmbioPharm to Expand the Potential of Its Breakthrough Leukocyte-Targeting Anti-Inflammatory Human Peptideson July 26, 2022 at 7:02 am
Amytrx Therapeutics, a mission-driven biopharmaceutical company dedicated to commercializing transformative and cutting-edge human anti-inflammatory peptides, has expanded their bioactive peptide ...
- Peptide Based Infection Therapeutics Market Insights 2022 With Top Player| Growth Opportunity with 5.3% CAGR, Size, Share and Growth till 2028on July 20, 2022 at 11:46 pm
The global Peptide Based Infection Therapeutics market size is projected to reach USD 34800 million by 2028, from USD 23470 million in 2021, at a CAGR of 5.3% 2022- 2028. The Pept ...
- Peptide 'fingerprint' enables earlier diagnosis of Alzheimer's diseaseon July 20, 2022 at 8:58 am
Neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's disease or Parkinson's disease are caused by folding errors (misfolding) in proteins or peptides, i.e. by changes in their spatial structure. This is the ...
- Biochemistry: Peptide “fingerprint” enables earlier diagnosis of Alzheimer’s diseaseon July 19, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s disease are caused by folding errors (misfolding) in proteins or peptides, i.e. by changes in their spatial structure. This is the ...
via Bing News