With the growing popularity of care share programs, self-driving technology could be a game changer for urban traffic systems
A new study looks at how the Swedish capital’s transport grid could be transformed.
A fleet of shared self-driving cars in Stockholm could reduce rush hour traffic volumes by 14 cars for every shared vehicle, according to researchers at Sweden’s KTH Royal Institute of Technology.
Meanwhile, the remaining automobile commuters would need only 20 percent of the metropolitan area’s existing parking spaces, their study says.
The study sheds further light on what can happen if cities build on the growing interest in car-share programs and other alternatives to car ownership, indicating that self-driving technology could be a game-changer.
“Driverless cars are the smart car, and just as revolutionary as the smart phone,” says Pierre-Jean Rigole of KTH Centre for Traffic Research. “They will revolutionize car ownership, lead to more flexible traffic, with far fewer crashes. And they will free up valuable space in cities that is currently occupied by parked cars.”
Rigole says the study looked at the possibility of a fleet of 9,700 Shared Autonomous Vehicles (SAV) with four seats each being introduced to the Stockholm metropolitan region, where an estimated 136,000 automobiles are driven in the daily commute.
Already in Stockholm taxi traffic accounts for half the total traffic, with about 272,000 such trips daily.
Read more: Shared, self-driving cars could free up traffic
The Latest on: Shared self-driving cars
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Shared self-driving cars” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Shared self-driving cars
- Elon Musk: Tesla May Have "ChatGPT" Moment With Full Self-Drivingon June 5, 2023 at 5:49 am
Posted on EVANNEX on June 03, 2023, by Iqtidar Ali In an exclusive interview following the 2023 Annual Shareholder Meeting, Tesla CEO Elon Musk shared more details about the artificial intelligence ...
- Elon Musk Takes Swipe At Rivals' Self-Driving Technology: 'Brittle And Unscalable'on June 5, 2023 at 5:07 am
Tesla Inc TSLA CEO Elon Musk on Sunday criticized the self-driving tech developed by competitors ... they fail to make sense of the commands provided. The user also shared a video of a Cruise car ...
- Could self-driving vehicles be a part of Valdosta’s future public transit?on June 2, 2023 at 7:34 pm
Just over a dozen students at VSU made a 30-question survey asking people how they felt about self-driving vehicles being used for public transit.
- Windy City Weekend: Ryan tries out self-driving cars and Nick Roy shares magic trick with Valon June 2, 2023 at 3:23 pm
And Ryan got a taste of the future when he took a ride inside a fully self-driving car (yes, he was the only one in it!). But, if that isn't enough "magic" for you, magician Nick Roy is here to share ...
- Self-driving cars know the rules of the road — but not rules of humanityon June 2, 2023 at 1:17 pm
The bottom line is that engineers still have a ways to go before autonomous vehicles can deal with the human factors of driving and make the right decisions in unusual situations. In the meantime, ...
- Global Self-driving Cars And Trucks Market Research Report 2023on June 2, 2023 at 12:57 am
Dublin, May 11, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Self-driving Cars And Trucks Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Application (Transportation, Defense), By Region (North America ...
- Uber to deploy Waymo self-driving cars in Phoenix areaon May 23, 2023 at 10:11 am
Uber is poised to begin rolling out Waymo self-driving cars in the Phoenix area, marking what could be the first step in a broader partnership that signals the end of the long-standing feud between ...
- Global Self-Driving Cars And Trucks Market Research Report 2023on May 11, 2023 at 8:47 am
Dublin, May 11, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "self-driving cars and trucks market size, share & trends analysis report by application (transportation, defense), by region (north america ...
- Self-driving cars 'need to learn the language of cyclists'on April 26, 2023 at 6:06 am
Future generations of self-driving cars should ‘learn the language’ of cyclists to help them safely share the roads with bikes, new research suggests. Human-computer interaction specialists ...
- Expert: In 50 Years, Self-Driving Cars Will Be "Unthinkable"on April 7, 2023 at 5:08 pm
The general consensus among experts is we're headed toward a future in which humans driving cars will seem downright ... t feel safe to imagine riding in a shared driverless vehicle ...
via Bing News