With the growing popularity of care share programs, self-driving technology could be a game changer for urban traffic systems
A new study looks at how the Swedish capital’s transport grid could be transformed.
A fleet of shared self-driving cars in Stockholm could reduce rush hour traffic volumes by 14 cars for every shared vehicle,.
Meanwhile, the remaining automobile commuters would need only 20 percent of the metropolitan area’s existing parking spaces, their study says.
The study sheds further light on what can happen if cities build on the growing interest in car-share programs and other alternatives to car ownership, indicating that self-driving technology could be a game-changer.
“Driverless cars are the smart car, and just as revolutionary as the smart phone,” says Pierre-Jean Rigole of KTH Centre for Traffic Research. “They will revolutionize car ownership, lead to more flexible traffic, with far fewer crashes. And they will free up valuable space in cities that is currently occupied by parked cars.”
Rigole says the study looked at the possibility of a fleet of 9,700 Shared Autonomous Vehicles (SAV) with four seats each being introduced to the Stockholm metropolitan region, where an estimated 136,000 automobiles are driven in the daily commute.
Already in Stockholm taxi traffic accounts for half the total traffic, with about 272,000 such trips daily.
The Latest on: Shared self-driving cars
via Google News
The Latest on: Shared self-driving cars
- California DMV accuses Tesla of making false claims about Autopilot and Full-Self Drivingon August 6, 2022 at 9:01 am
Tesla allegedly made ‘untrue or misleading’ claims about its cars’ self-driving capabilities California’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has accused Tesla of falsely advertising i (FSD) features, ...
- TuSimple reportedly tried to pass off a self-driving truck crash as ‘human error’on August 4, 2022 at 10:01 am
TuSimple is in trouble. Last April, a semi-trailer truck operated by the San Diego-based company that was traveling down I-10 in Tucson, Arizona, suddenly lurched left, slamming into a concrete ...
- Self-Driving Caron August 3, 2022 at 1:47 pm
According to a new report from Jalopnik, Apple may be leasing former Fiat Chrysler proving grounds in Surprise, Arizona to test its self-driving car platform in a range of different conditions. Citing ...
- Should self-driving cars come with black box recorders?on August 1, 2022 at 8:07 pm
As technology advances, an international team of experts suggests that autonomous vehicles and robots should come equipped with a black box.
- Ford, GM Request Permission For Self-Driving Cars, No Steering Wheelon July 27, 2022 at 6:03 am
Both companies have petitioned NHTSA in the past, but it has been kept quiet until now. Ford and General Motors have both reached out to US automotive safety agencies in an attempt to get exemptions ...
- Can Self Driving Cars Be ‘Trapped’ By a Salt Circle?on July 25, 2022 at 2:34 pm
A viral Facebook post asserted that self-driving cars can be "trapped" by a salt circle, coincidentally a common media trope for magic.
- Self-driving Cars Market 2022: Top Prominent Players, Segment Analysis, Industry Share, Size, Development Strategy, Growth Opportunities till 2028on July 21, 2022 at 11:16 pm
The “ Self-driving Cars Market ” 2022 report provides a detailed analysis of global market size, regional and country-level market size, segmentation market growth, market share, competitive Landscape ...
- Self-Driving Car Market 2022 Insights on Size, Share, Application and Forecast Assumptions 2030on July 20, 2022 at 6:36 pm
A self-driving car also known as the driverless car or an ... the top line and bottom line goals which will boost your market share in today’s competitive environment. Quadintel is a ‘one- ...
- Self-driving Cars Market Size 2022 Share, Industry Analysis By Future Demand and Growth 2030on July 19, 2022 at 6:24 am
Self-driving cars are integrated with vehicular automation ... Asia-Pacific is the leading region across the world in terms of market share owing to the execution of stringent safety regulations ...
- Xiaomi’s Self-Driving Test Car Spotted with a Lidar Sensor on the Roofon July 6, 2022 at 11:13 pm
Rumors speculate that Xiaomi’s car will be a fully-featured self-driving electric vehicle that will compete with the likes of Tesla and other EVs. Today, a Weibo blogger shared a real-life ...
via Bing News