With the growing popularity of care share programs, self-driving technology could be a game changer for urban traffic systems
A new study looks at how the Swedish capital’s transport grid could be transformed.
A fleet of shared self-driving cars in Stockholm could reduce rush hour traffic volumes by 14 cars for every shared vehicle,.
Meanwhile, the remaining automobile commuters would need only 20 percent of the metropolitan area’s existing parking spaces, their study says.
The study sheds further light on what can happen if cities build on the growing interest in car-share programs and other alternatives to car ownership, indicating that self-driving technology could be a game-changer.
“Driverless cars are the smart car, and just as revolutionary as the smart phone,” says Pierre-Jean Rigole of KTH Centre for Traffic Research. “They will revolutionize car ownership, lead to more flexible traffic, with far fewer crashes. And they will free up valuable space in cities that is currently occupied by parked cars.”
Rigole says the study looked at the possibility of a fleet of 9,700 Shared Autonomous Vehicles (SAV) with four seats each being introduced to the Stockholm metropolitan region, where an estimated 136,000 automobiles are driven in the daily commute.
Already in Stockholm taxi traffic accounts for half the total traffic, with about 272,000 such trips daily.
The Latest on: Shared self-driving cars
via Google News
The Latest on: Shared self-driving cars
- Self-driving Cars Sensors Market 2021: Size, Huge Growth Opportunities, Business Scenario, New Technology Upcoming Trends and Forecast to 2026on September 2, 2021 at 1:05 am
Sep 02, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." The “Self-driving Cars Sensors ...
- Yandex shares surge to record high on news it bought out Uber’s share of food-delivery & self-driving ventureon September 1, 2021 at 5:38 am
Shares of Russian technology giant Yandex soared to new heights on Wednesday, extending the gains of around 5% recorded in the previous session after the firm said it would buy Uber out of several ...
- US tech giant Uber bought out in Russia by homegrown Yandex, handing over keys to self-driving cars & food delivery businesson August 31, 2021 at 10:20 am
Russia's largest technology company has announced it will buy a series of joint ventures from US ride-sharing and delivery services conglomerate Uber, handing over a billion dollars as part of the ...
- Hyundai Ioniq 5 becomes Motional's new self-driving robotaxion August 31, 2021 at 7:04 am
Feast your eyes on Hyundai and partner Aptiv's latest self-driving car project: the Ioniq 5 robotaxi. Motional, the joint venture Hyundai and Aptiv operate, revealed the first images of the vehicle on ...
- Xiaomi Buys Self-Driving Company as It Accelerates Apple Car Rival Developmenton August 26, 2021 at 9:11 pm
The tech industry is slowly but surely pouring billions of dollars into the automotive market, with Apple, Xiaomi, and Huawei spearheading this expansion that’s expected to generate a whole new ...
- Global Self-driving Cars Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026on August 26, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global Self-driving Cars Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 report by Global Info Research. The Self-driving Cars market ...
- Waymo's self-driving Jaguar I-Pace electric cars are ready for passengerson August 26, 2021 at 5:00 am
San Francisco riders will have a self-driving electric car do the driving—although an "autonomous specialist" will be onboard.
- Waymo expands to San Francisco with public self-driving test [Update]on August 25, 2021 at 9:55 am
Waymo is finally thinking about expanding. The Alphabet self-driving car division has been running an impressive self-driving ride-hailing service for almost a year now, but only in a small suburb ...
- Will Tesla share its self-driving system with other car makers?on August 25, 2021 at 1:06 am
Elon Musk has indicated that Autopilot, Tesla's autonomous driving technology, could at some point be distributed to other automakers, although he did not give any names (or dates) for such an ...
- San Francisco residents test Waymo's self-driving caron August 24, 2021 at 11:12 am
Waymo announced Tuesday that some San Francisco residents will be able to test some of their self-driving cars in its second market.
via Bing News