Researchers at QMUL have successfully created electricity-generating solar-cells with chemicals found in the shells of shrimps and other crustaceans for the first time.
The materials chitin and chitosan found in the shells are abundant and significantly cheaper to produce than the expensive metals such as ruthenium, which is similar to platinum, that are currently used in making nanostructured solar-cells.
Currently the efficiency of solar cells made with these biomass-derived materials is low but if it can be improved they could be placed in everything from wearable chargers for tablets, phones and smartwatches, to semi-transparent films over window.
Researchers, from QMUL’s School of Engineering and Materials Science, used a process known as hydrothermal carbonization to create the carbon quantum dots (CQDs) from the widely and cheaply available chemicals found in crustacean shells. They then coat standard zinc oxide nanorods with the CQDs to make the solar cells.
Dr Joe Briscoe, one of the researchers on the project, said: “This could be a great new way to make these versatile, quick and easy to produce solar cells from readily available, sustainable materials. Once we’ve improved their efficiency they could be used anywhere that solar cells are used now, particularly to charge the kinds of devices people carry with them every day.
Read more: Cheap solar cells made from shrimp shells
The Latest on: Cheap solar cells
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Cheap solar cells” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Cheap solar cells
- A tiny solar panel in a cable: How fiber optics is changing the way power is transmittedon March 20, 2023 at 9:59 pm
Earlier this month, communication specialists HUBER +SUHNER launched a global navigation satellite system (GNSS) that powered an active antenna using fiber optics rather than more traditional copper ...
- World Has Less Than a Decade to Stop Catastrophic Warming, U.N. Panel Sayson March 20, 2023 at 3:05 pm
A new report says it is still possible to hold global warming to relatively safe levels, but doing so will require global cooperation, billions of dollars and big changes.
- Solar Panels Floating on Reservoirs Could Provide a Third of Global Energyon March 20, 2023 at 7:00 am
By shielding the water from the sun, floating solar panels can also reduce evaporation, so the reservoirs would lose less water.
- Teardown And Analysis Of A Cheap Solar Lampon March 18, 2023 at 5:01 pm
Your dollar gets you a white LED behind plastic, mounted on a spike to stick into the ground, and with a solar cell on top. It charges in the sunlight during the day and then lights the LED for a ...
- Kesterite solar cell with transparent electrode achieves 11.4% efficiencyon March 17, 2023 at 2:10 pm
The researchers introduced the cell tech in “11.4% Efficiency Kesterite Solar Cells on Transparent ... in cell manufacturing itself are very cheap,” they said. This content is protected ...
- The Best Solar Companies in Connecticut of 2023on March 17, 2023 at 12:05 pm
The best solar companies in Connecticut offer various payment options, impressive guarantees, and top-quality panels so customers get the most for their money.
- Going Solar in Alaska? Here's How to Know if It's Worth Iton March 17, 2023 at 5:00 am
Alaska may be known for its long winter nights, but it's also the land of the midnight sun -- and solar panels can help residents mitigate some of the nation's highest energy costs. The Last Frontier ...
- There’s a massive, ‘untapped’ source of clean, cheap energy sitting in most cities — here’s why we haven’t noticed iton March 14, 2023 at 6:45 am
Utility and fossil fuel interests have repeatedly undermined government policies that would encourage rooftop and parking lot solar.” There’s a massive, ‘untapped’ source of clean, cheap energy ...
- Best solar lights in 2023on March 13, 2023 at 10:07 am
At the end is a solar panel, which can be clipped to a railing ... However, at $35 a piece, the Solar Pathlights aren’t cheap, and you’ll also need the Ring Bridge ($50, sold separately ...
- Best solar panels for beating load-sheddingon March 13, 2023 at 6:36 am
MyBroadband asked solar power equipment providers and installers for their recommendations as to which solar panel brands are best.
via Bing News