Researchers at QMUL have successfully created electricity-generating solar-cells with chemicals found in the shells of shrimps and other crustaceans for the first time.
The materials chitin and chitosan found in the shells are abundant and significantly cheaper to produce than the expensive metals such as ruthenium, which is similar to platinum, that are currently used in making nanostructured solar-cells.
Currently the efficiency of solar cells made with these biomass-derived materials is low but if it can be improved they could be placed in everything from wearable chargers for tablets, phones and smartwatches, to semi-transparent films over window.
Researchers, from QMUL’s School of Engineering and Materials Science, used a process known as hydrothermal carbonization to create the carbon quantum dots (CQDs) from the widely and cheaply available chemicals found in crustacean shells. They then coat standard zinc oxide nanorods with the CQDs to make the solar cells.
Dr Joe Briscoe, one of the researchers on the project, said: “This could be a great new way to make these versatile, quick and easy to produce solar cells from readily available, sustainable materials. Once we’ve improved their efficiency they could be used anywhere that solar cells are used now, particularly to charge the kinds of devices people carry with them every day.
Read more: Cheap solar cells made from shrimp shells
The Latest on: Cheap solar cells
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Cheap solar cells” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Cheap solar cells
- Solar energy: A strategic investment for local firmson March 1, 2024 at 12:37 am
Many people are starting to embrace solar as a viable and reliable source of cheap energy. In the early days ... On the technology front there are more efficient and affordable solar panels, coupled ...
- What's the cheapest way to get solar panels installed… and is it only worth doing on a south facing roof?on February 29, 2024 at 10:00 pm
In fact, while the most effective positioning of solar panels is at a 41-degree slope on an unshaded south-facing roof, Duncan said south-west and a south-east facing roofs will only lose around 15 ...
- Solar feed-in tariff in VIC drops to all-time low – here’s whyon February 29, 2024 at 4:34 pm
The Essential Services Commission (ESC) has dropped the base rate for the solar feed-in tariff to 3.3 cents per kWh. Flexible or time-varying feed-in tariffs will range from 2.1 to 8.4 cents per kWh, ...
- New copper antimony sulphide solar cell design promises 16.17% efficiencyon February 29, 2024 at 4:00 pm
The solar cell was designed with a transparent substrate made of glass ... a good conductor, relatively cheap and its sheet resistance remains constant during sintering.” To optimize the device, the ...
- Utility solar dethrones coal as the cheapest power source in Asiaon February 29, 2024 at 11:15 am
Renewable energy costs in Asia last year were 13% cheaper than coal and are expected to be 32% cheaper by 2030, according to a new study.
- China steers solar module export stream towards Asiaon February 28, 2024 at 2:59 am
China maintained its dominant grip on the export of solar panels and modules in 2023, boosting global shipments by over a third from 2022's totals, according to data compiled by energy think tank ...
- Swiss Solar Panel Maker Plans to Sell Shares in Turnaround Bidon February 23, 2024 at 3:22 am
Swiss solar-panel maker Meyer Burger Technology AG is planning to sell ... Meyer Burger is one of a number of European manufacturers that are struggling after cheap Chinese products flooded the market ...
- Down 17% In The Last 6 Months, Will First Solar Stock Recover Post Q4 Results?on February 23, 2024 at 3:00 am
First Solar is expected to publish its Q4 2023 results toward the end of this month, reporting on a quarter that is likely to see the company’s U.S. sales pick up.
- The best states for going solar in 2024on February 22, 2024 at 11:00 am
The ConsumerAffairs Research Team analyzed data from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Energy Information Administration, and the Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency to ...
- Everything you need to know about the types of solar batterieson February 20, 2024 at 11:57 am
Solar batteries can maximize your solar savings or provide emergency backup power. Learn about the types of solar batteries and which to buy.
via Bing News