In a world first, RMIT University researchers have developed a talking drone that can converse with air traffic controllers just like a normal pilot
The development is a critical step towards the full integration of unmanned aircraft systems – or drones – into civil airspace.
The project, part of a larger research initiative that aims to address safety and efficiency issues related to drones and air traffic management, is the result of a partnership between RMIT, Thales Australia and the company’s Centre for Advanced Studies in Air Traffic Management (CASIA), and UFA Inc.
View the video: http://bit.ly/talkingdrone
Dr Reece Clothier, leader of the RMIT Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Research Team, said drones needed to be able to fly safely alongside other airspace users without causing disruption to air traffic management.
“The majority of air traffic control services are provided to aircraft by voice radio – aircraft controllers speaking directly to pilots,” Dr Clothier said.
“Our project aimed to develop and demonstrate an autonomous capability that would allow a drone to verbally interact with air traffic controllers.
“Using the system we’ve developed, an air traffic controller can talk to, and receive responses from, a drone just like they would with any other aircraft.”
Philippe Bernard-Flattot, Technical Director at Thales Australia, said: “This is a significant project that is important for the future of air traffic control systems.
Read more: Talking drone offers aviation safety boost
The Latest on: Drones
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Drones” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Drones
- ‘Drones are better’: Gujarat Police take to paragliding for surveillance during Lili Parikrama event in Junagadhon November 28, 2023 at 2:36 am
However, the unique approach did not win the approval of netizens who said drones could have been more cost-effective and efficient. “Drones will be better as you can monitor and control them and be ...
- Russia claims Ukrainian drones attacked oil, gas enterprises in two oblastson November 28, 2023 at 2:03 am
Russian authorities have claimed that Ukrainian drones carried out attacks on two energy sector facilities in Russia’s Kaluga and Tver oblasts, Russian Telegram channel Astra said in a post on Nov. 27 ...
- Russian college students asked to donate vapes so parts can be used to make drones to attack Ukraine: reporton November 28, 2023 at 12:44 am
Russian college students are being asked to donate their used vapes to the country’s military so parts from the e-cigarettes can be used to make combat drones to attack Ukraine, according to a report.
- Defibrillator drones beat ambulances to the scene of cardiac arrest, new research showson November 28, 2023 at 12:14 am
Drones could offer emergency relief to heart attack sufferers faster than a traditional ambulance, a new study reveals.
- Russian students are being asked to donate their vapes so the parts can be used in combat drones, report sayson November 27, 2023 at 5:05 am
The Falcon patriotic military club at Russia's University of Samara is asking students to give over e-cigarettes, Novaya Gazeta Europe reported.
- Ukraine targeted with 75 Russian drones in biggest attack everon November 26, 2023 at 3:07 pm
Ukraine was struck by an attack of 75 drones on the night of November 24, the biggest single attack ever, but air defences managed to shoot down 71, ...
- Russia says it downed dozens of Ukrainian drones headed for Moscow, following a mass strike on Kyivon November 26, 2023 at 12:29 pm
Ukraine tried to attack Moscow with dozens of drones, Russian authorities said Sunday, just a day after Ukrainian officials reported that Russia had launched its most intense drone attack on ...
- Russia Upgrades Its Shahed Droneson November 26, 2023 at 4:48 am
Moscow has upgraded several of its drones, including its "kamikaze" uncrewed aerial vehicles, after months of war in Ukraine.
- Russia destroys Ukrainian drones including over Moscow, defense ministry sayson November 26, 2023 at 4:17 am
Russia has foiled at least 20 Ukrainian drone attacks over the past day, including on the capital, Moscow, officials said Sunday, a day after it launched its largest drone attack against the Ukrainian ...
- Russia downs Ukrainian drones, missiles day after its attack on Kyivon November 26, 2023 at 3:12 am
Russian air defences have intercepted Ukrainian drones over several regions inside its territory, including Moscow, just a day after Kyiv reported the “largest drone attack” on Ukraine since Moscow ...
via Bing News