Some are calling it the World Cup for Drones, while the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has simply labeled it the Drones For Good award.
Whichever way you spin it, offering up US$1 million in prize money is sure to bring out great ideas from all corners of the globe. The international competition seeks to emphasize the positive capabilities of drones and on Saturday, a team of Swiss technologists took out first prize with a vehicle that flies protected by a spinning cage, helping it to better travel through confined spaces.
Last month we did a roundup of the finalists for the Drones For Good Award, so we won’t go over them in great detail here. But the Flyability team from Switzerland beat out some truly big-picture ideas to claim first prize. These include drones that detect landmines, drones that shoot seedpods into the ground to help replantation efforts and drone delivery nets that could form the mailboxes of the future.
We covered the Gimball drone when it first emerged back in 2013, and at first glance the concept is not as eye-catching as those above. It’s not promised to save lives, conserve protected rainforests or disrupt the package delivery game, but indirectly, it may prove to have a far greater impact across a number of industries.
The team says its aim in developing Gimball was to mimic the ability of insects to crash into obstacles and continue in flight. To this end, the drone is housed inside a carbon fiber cage, which sits inside another rotating, spherical frame. As the drone crashes into walls, beams and ceilings, the outer frame takes the impact and the inner remains stable, allowing it to continue on its way.
The Latest on: Drones For Good
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Drones For Good” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Drones For Good
- Controversy Surrounding Data Security of Chinese-made Drones Sparks Intense Debateon March 1, 2024 at 8:37 am
Debate rages over data security and Chinese-made drones By DRONELIFE Features Editor Jim Magill (The following story is part of an ongoing series on the impact of attempts by the U.S. federal governme ...
- Dutch Drone Gods capture FPV of a full F1 lap with Verstappenon February 29, 2024 at 11:58 pm
But these drones had limitations: they couldn’t turn ... This allowed us to achieve a perfect balance between getting a good top speed and still being efficient, without overloading the electronics or ...
- Drones could play big role in future of farmingon February 29, 2024 at 4:00 pm
(WALA) - Aerial drones are being integrated into society more and more and ... “I think the turnout’s really, really good,” said Hylio co-founder and CEO, Arthur Erickson. “This is a small industry as ...
- Mohonasen has a drone soccer team and it's making strides (w/ video)on February 29, 2024 at 1:35 pm
Mohonasen started the program last year under George Reluzco, who has since retired and handed coaching duties to Rob Buehler, who said he shadowed Reluzco a little bit.
- How territorial defense units protect Kyiv from enemy drones — first-hand accounton February 29, 2024 at 12:50 pm
Every night, equipped with tablets, pickup trucks, machine guns, and their own skills, Ukrainian mobile fire groups (MFG) monitor the skies over the Ukrainian capital and repel Russian drone attacks.
- Navy expeditionary forces eye counter-drone, offensive unmanned opson February 29, 2024 at 11:46 am
Navy Expeditionary Combat Command is considering its future -- and that might include offensive drone operations.
- Walmart delivery drones will soon start flying in North Richland Hillson February 27, 2024 at 10:11 am
On Monday, North Richland Hills became the first Tarrant County city to allow drones to deliver groceries, medications and other items from Walmart stores at 6401 NE Loop 820 and 9101 North Tarrant ...
- Norman, Moore PD compete in drone race for good causeon February 27, 2024 at 9:45 am
Local police departments are gearing up for drone race time in support of a good cause! The Moore and Norman Police Departments are set to go head-to-head in a drone racing charity event that will ...
- Moore, Norman police departments prepare for competition crowning top drone pilotson February 27, 2024 at 12:33 am
For the first time in Oklahoma, two police departments will face off to see who has the best drone pilots. The event between the Moore and Norman police departments will be hosted by Major League ...
- N.Y.P.D. Drones Carrying Rafts Could Join Lifeguards in Beach Rescueson February 19, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Drones are already being used for lifesaving ... “They could potentially be a good thing, but certainly not a replacement for lifeguards.” Dana Rubinstein covers New York City politics and ...
via Bing News