Cells could be exploited to treat osteoarthritis and osteoporosis
A stem cell capable of regenerating both bone and cartilage has been identified in bone marrow of mice. The discovery by researchers at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) is reported today in the online issue of the journal Cell.
The cells, called osteochondroreticular (OCR) stem cells, were discovered by tracking a protein expressed by the cells. Using this marker, the researchers found that OCR cells self-renew and generate key bone and cartilage cells, including osteoblasts and chondrocytes. Researchers also showed that OCR stem cells, when transplanted to a fracture site, contribute to bone repair.
“We are now trying to figure out whether we can persuade these cells to specifically regenerate after injury. If you make a fracture in the mouse, these cells will come alive again, generate both bone and cartilage in the mouse—and repair the fracture. The question is, could this happen in humans,” says Siddhartha Mukherjee, MD, PhD, assistant professor of medicine at CUMC and a senior author of the study.
The researchers believe that OCR stem cells will be found in human bone tissue, as mice and humans have similar bone biology. Further study could provide greater understanding of how to prevent and treat osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, or bone fractures.
“Our findings raise the possibility that drugs or other therapies can be developed to stimulate the production of OCR stem cells and improve the body’s ability to repair bone injury—a process that declines significantly in old age,” says Timothy C. Wang, MD, the Dorothy L. and Daniel H. Silberberg Professor of Medicine at CUMC, who initiated this research. Previously, Dr. Wang found an analogous stem cell in the intestinal tract and observed that it was also abundant in the bone.
The Latest on: Bone stem cells
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Bone stem cells” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Bone stem cells
- NHS to offer stem cell transplants to cure life-limiting blood disorderon November 29, 2023 at 4:06 pm
The procedure – called allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplant (Allo-HSCT) – involves replacing the bone marrow stem cells of a patient with ones from a matched sibling donor. Stem cells are ...
- Adults with rare blood disorder to be offered stem cell transplantson November 29, 2023 at 3:59 pm
The stem cell transplant procedure – known as allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplant (Allo-HSCT) – replaces the bone marrow stem cells with ones from a matched sibling donor. It was previously ...
- Newly discovered stem cell offers clues to a cancer mysteryon November 29, 2023 at 4:36 am
Scientists have discovered a new type of stem cell in the spine that appears crucial to resolving a long-standing mystery: why far more cancer cells spread to the spine than to other bones in the body ...
- Newly discovered spine stem cells help explain cancer metastasis in boneon November 28, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Their study was published this month in the journal Nature. It shows that vertebral bone comes from a stem cell that is different from other stem cells that form bones. And it is a protein called ...
- Bidirectional interplay between metabolism and epigenetics in hematopoietic stem cells and leukemiaon November 27, 2023 at 7:19 am
Cellular and organismal metabolisms have been shown to directly instruct epigenetic alterations, and thereby dictate stem cell fate, in the bone marrow. Epigenetic regulatory enzymes are dependent on ...
- Hero stem cell donor's girlfriend found to be potential lifesaveron November 24, 2023 at 5:54 am
JUST over two years ago a big-hearted Black Country football fan gave up the chance of a lifetime to see England play at Wembley in the Euro 2020 semi-final to donate stem cells.
- Stem Cells Newson November 23, 2023 at 4:01 pm
Brazil's Diversity Makes Country a Testing Ground for a Global Stem Cell Biobank, Scientists Say Sep. 28, 2023 — A biobank for all, in which a person from any background could find a bone marrow ...
- More diverse stem cell donors needed as Tecumseh 9-year-old awaits matchon November 23, 2023 at 1:00 am
Zoe Dudzianiec (centre, next to Santa) with her siblings. Dudzianiec has a rare bone marrow disorder and needs a stem cell transplant. (Submitted by Heidi Dudzianiec) Zoe is an active and lively child ...
- Groundbreaking technology developed to extract mesenchymal stem cells from pure bone marrowon November 20, 2023 at 1:53 am
Researchers from the Critical Analytics for Manufacturing Personalized-Medicine (CAMP) Interdisciplinary Research Group (IRG) of Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART), MIT’s ...
- Stem Cells Excluding Availability What Is An Advantage Of Embryonic Stem Cells Compared To Bone Marrow Stem Cells Crossword Clueon November 18, 2023 at 5:47 pm
For the word puzzle clue of stem cells excluding availability what is an advantage of embryonic stem cells compared to bone marrow stem cells, the Sporcle Puzzle Library found the following results.
via Bing News