Cheaper, more durable catalyst for fuel cell used in cars, at data centers
For nearly half a century, scientists have been trying to replace precious metal catalysts in fuel cells. Now, for the first time, researchers at Case Western Reserve University have shown that an inexpensive metal-free catalyst performs as well as costly metal catalysts at speeding the oxygen reduction reaction in an acidic fuel cell.
The carbon-based catalyst also corrodes less than metal-based materials and has proved more durable.
The findings are major steps toward making low-cost catalysts commercially available, which could, in turn, reduce the cost to generate clean energy from PEM fuel cells–the most common cell being tested and used in cars and stationary power plants. The study will be published online in the journal Science Advances at 2 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time Friday, Feb. 27.
“This definitely should move the field forward,” said Liming Dai, the Kent Hale Smith Professor of macromolecular science and engineering at Case Western Reserve and senior author of the research. “It’s a major breakthrough for commercialization.”
Dai worked with lead investigator Jianglan Shui, who was a CWRU postdoctoral researcher and is now a materials science and engineering professor at Beihang University, Beijing; PhD student Min Wang, who did some of the testing; and postdoctoral researcher Fen Du, who made the materials. The effort builds on the Dai lab’s earlier work developing carbon-based catalysts that significantly outperformed platinum in an alkaline fuel cell.
The group pursued a non-metal catalyst to perform in acid because the standard bearer among fuel cells, the PEM cell, uses an acidic electrolyte. PEM stands for both proton exchange membrane and polymer electrolyte membrane, which are interchangeable names for this type of cell.
The key to the new catalyst is its rationally-designed porous structure, Dai said. The researchers mixed sheets of nitrogen-doped graphene, a single-atom thick, with carbon nanotubes and carbon black particles in a solution, then freeze-dried them into composite sheets and hardened them.
The Latest on: PEM fuel cells
via Google News
The Latest on: PEM fuel cells
- Cummins Hydrogen Technology Powers the Largest Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) Electrolyzer in Operation in the Worldon January 27, 2021 at 12:33 am
Global technology and power solutions leader Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI) has provided a 20-megawatt PEM electrolyzer system to generate green hydrogen, making it the largest in operation in the world.
- DSME Moves Ahead With Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell Systemson January 21, 2021 at 1:15 pm
DSME is following in the footsteps of its compatriots at Samsung Heavy Industries in the development of solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) technology for auxiliary power. SOFC technology is relatively new ...
- Fuel cell manufacturer’s ‘gigafactory’ in Henrietta expected to generate 377 new jobson January 20, 2021 at 9:15 pm
A total of 377 new jobs are expected to be coming to the region after Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday that an alternative energy technology provider called Plug ...
- In blow to Capital Region, Plug Power picks Rochester for fuel cell gigafactoryon January 19, 2021 at 8:16 am
Plug Power has decided to go to the Rochester area to build its new $125 million hydrogen fuel cell "gigafactory" that would eclipse its current factory in Latham as its largest manufacturing facility ...
- 5 Best Hydrogen Fuel Cell Stocks to Buy Nowon January 18, 2021 at 1:03 pm
In this article we discuss the 5 best hydrogen fuel cell stocks to buy now. You click here to read our detailed investment thesis for the hydrogen ...
- 5 Best Hydrogen Fuel Cell Stocks to Buy Nowon January 18, 2021 at 1:01 pm
Indiana-based Cummins manufactures and provides services related to engines, fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission control, electrical power generation systems, and trucks.
- Ballard Receives Order for Scotland’s First Fuel Cell-Powered Trainon January 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Shares of Ballard Power Systems traded 18% higher to a new 52-week high after the company reported that it had received an order from Arcola Energy for its FCmove-HD fuel cell modules that will be ...
- Insights on the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Global Market to 2025 - Players Include BMW, Daimler and General Motors Company Among Otherson January 14, 2021 at 8:37 am
The "Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market Research Report by Technology (Alkaline Fuel Cell, Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell, and Solid Oxide Fuel Cell), by Vehicle (Commercial Vehicle and Passenger ...
- Global PEMFC (Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells) Industryon January 14, 2021 at 6:40 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global PEMFC (Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells) Industry" - ...
- Worldwide Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Industry to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 14, 2021 at 2:56 am
The "Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Market Research Report by Technology (Alkaline Fuel Cell, Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell, and Solid Oxide Fuel Cell), by Vehicle ...
via Bing News