To halt climate change, the world desperately needs advances in clean energy. But in recent years, Silicon Valley, the nation’s engine for technical innovation, has turned its back on investments in the field.
Now, even as the world grows hotter, young scientists with fresh ideas about energy technology are finding it increasingly difficult to find venture capital to get them off the ground.
“The V.C. model isn’t working,” said Horst Simon, the deputy director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
But scientists at the lab may have found a better way to support entrepreneurial scientists who once depended on venture capital.
Clean energy investments were briefly a fad among Silicon Valley venture capital firms, peaking in the second quarter of 2010 at more than $820 million. But V.C.s soon learned that investing in unproven “hard” energy technologies was not as quickly lucrative as backing social networking and smartphone apps. By the third quarter of last year, venture investment in industrial energy technologies had declined to $209 million.
Many clean energy technologies require prolonged support to grow, Curt Carlson, a physicist and former president of SRI International, said, adding: “V.C.s hate that. They want to put in a slug of money and then have it scale itself, without having to put in a billion dollars.”
Solyndra, a promising maker of solar panels, was a spectacular failure, driven into bankruptcy in 2013 by Chinese competition after obtaining $536 million in Department of Energy loan guarantees. But it was hardly the only flameout: The valley’s venture capitalists backed a disappointing array of energy start-ups, including battery makers A123 and Ener1, Fisker Automotive, and Abound Solar, a maker of thin-film solar panels.
As interest cooled among V.C.s, energy entrepreneurs struggled to find support for ambitious ideas. Ilan Gur, a materials scientist at Lawrence Berkeley and veteran of several clean energy start-ups, observed the experience of two Stanford physics graduate students with a new idea for more efficient solar technology.
“They got laughed out of every V.C. on Sand Hill Road,” he said. “People told them: ‘Are you crazy? An early-stage materials investment in solar?’ ”
Read more: An Incubator for Innovation
The Latest on: Innovation incubator
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Innovation incubator” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Innovation incubator
- LendClub selects six startups for incubator programmeon January 31, 2023 at 3:23 am
LenDenClub Alpha, the corporate venture capital (CVC) arm of LenDenClub, announced its first cohort of the ‘Bharat FinTech Program’.
- New fintech education center, start-up incubator and student entrepreneur venture fund launched at University of Utahon January 30, 2023 at 3:07 pm
University of Utah President Taylor Randall today announced a new donor initiative meant to supercharge the student entrepreneurial experience and Utah's reputation for financial technology innovation ...
- New ‘one-stop shop’ business incubator at Grand Rapids Innovation Park set to open for tech entrepreneurson January 30, 2023 at 1:03 pm
A new business incubator at Michigan State University’s research campus in downtown Grand Rapids offers a new venue for tech entrepreneurs to nurture their innovations. A new business incubator at ...
- Survey seeks founder input on creating a Portland regional innovation hubon January 30, 2023 at 10:20 am
A survey is out now through mid-February seeking input from founders and service providers within traded sector industries and companies that can scale. This means companies that sell goods or ...
- How Ukraine’s tech incubator is defying the wartime oddson January 29, 2023 at 3:45 am
In itself, Diia City is a lesson for entrepreneurs and those looking to build innovation ecosystems in Ukraine. While the initiative was kick-started ahead of the war to make it easier for tech ...
- Business incubator grows companieson January 27, 2023 at 11:59 am
The ability to see through body tissue may sound like something from a science fiction movie, but a start-up company in RIT’s Venture Creations business incubator has developed a device that makes ...
- Grants, accelerators, incubators and competitions for Albany region startupson January 26, 2023 at 9:25 am
From funding to programming, here's a list of the Albany's areas resources useful in getting startups off the ground.
- Centech was ranked among the top 10 university business incubators in the world by UBI Globalon January 25, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Centech, an incubator affiliated with the École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS), was ranked among the top 10 university business incubators in the world by UBI Global. MONTREAL, Jan. 24, 2023 ...
- 4 North American contech startups selected for tech incubatoron January 25, 2023 at 10:27 am
Paris-based Leonard, the construction firm Vinci Group's innovation platform, has selected 46 start-ups, established companies and individual projects for its acceleration and sup ...
- Baby Incubator Market Massive Growth Strikes Due To Technological Innovation During 2023-2028on January 23, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Baby Incubator Market Size is projected to Reach Multimillion USD by 2029, In comparison to 2022, at unexpected CAGR ...
via Bing News