Record-breaking speeds have been achieved during tests of 5G data connections, scientists have said.
Researchers at the University of Surrey‘s 5G Innovation Centre (5GIC) managed one terabit per second (Tbps) – many thousands of times faster than current data connections.
The head of the 5GIC said he hoped to demonstrate the technology to the public in 2018.
Ofcom has said 5G could be available in Britain by 2020.
At 1Tbps, it would be theoretically possible to download a file 100 times the size of a feature film in about three seconds. The speed is more than 65,000 times faster than average 4G download speeds.
It is also far in excess of the previous best achieved in tests: Samsung’s 7.5 gigabits per second (Gbps), which is less than 1% of the Surrey team’s speed.
According to news website V3, 5GIC director Prof Rahim Tafazolli said: “We have developed 10 more breakthrough technologies and one of them means we can exceed 1Tbps wirelessly. This is the same capacity as fibreoptics but we are doing it wirelessly.”
His research team built its own kit and carried out the tests in lab conditions over a distance of 100m.
The Latest on: 5G
via Google News
The Latest on: 5G
- Ambani’s Reliance Doubles Down on 5G Pledge After Record Profiton January 22, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Indian billionaire Mukesh Ambani doubled down on his promise to offer 5G services on his wireless network as early as this year, as his conglomerate Reliance Industries Ltd. reported a record profit ...
- Android Circuit: Galaxy’s Hidden Camera, Planet Computer’s 5G Keyboard, Honor View40’s Killer Featureon January 22, 2021 at 3:54 pm
This week’s Android headlines; Samsung’s hidden selfie camera, secrets of the Galaxy S21, Qualcomm’s new SnapDragon, Honor’s View40 launch, OnePlus’ Android 11 update, Planet Computers’ new 5G ...
- How Operators Can Rapidly Expand 5G Coverageon January 22, 2021 at 4:20 am
Apple’s announcement to support 5G across its portfolio cemented 5G’s market success. With 5G device shipments expected to grow substantially in 2021, naturally, the industry's focus is on ensuring ...
- Buy these 13 stocks poised to benefit from a boom in 5G smartphone adoption, UBS says — including one expected to surge 69%on January 22, 2021 at 3:03 am
UBS Evidence Lab estimates that 80% of smartphone units will feature 5G technology and the industry will be worth $332 billion.
- Once an Also-Ran Carrier, T-Mobile Begins 2021 With a Lead in 5Gon January 22, 2021 at 3:00 am
Its $26.5 billion purchase of Sprint last year created a company with a vast spectrum on which to build an advanced network.
- Huawei hires former Brazilian president to advise on 5Gon January 21, 2021 at 7:50 pm
Michel Temer will be working towards ensuring the Chinese firm's participation in the local market for next-generation 5G wireless networks.
- 5G, fintech and mega-projects: What 2021 will mean for tech in the Middle Easton January 21, 2021 at 7:08 pm
The MENA region is in the middle of a digital transformation, which 2020 and COVID-19 has only accelerated. I asked five experts to share the tech trends they see influencing the Middle East and North ...
- This tiny piece of hardware could make better 5G a realityon January 21, 2021 at 9:21 am
G has been reality for some time now, but according to Resonant, the reality of 5G has been significantly less exciting than the hype that led up to its release. Resonant said it has the tech to make ...
- PwC expects 5G to hit a tipping point in 2023on January 21, 2021 at 8:16 am
Mobile gaming and wearables are the most promising early use cases, the firm says, while smart factories and self-driving cars are farther in the future.
- Sweden operators get ready for mass 5G cover after spectrum auctionson January 20, 2021 at 9:51 am
Swedish telecom operators are planning to cover almost the entire country with 5G in the next two to three years after the spectrum auction was conducted by the telecom regulator PTS.
via Bing News