Scientists at the University of Sheffield have succeeded in using a 3D printed guide to help nerves damaged in traumatic incidents repair themselves
The team used the device to repair nerve damage in animal models and say the method could help treat many types of traumatic injury.
The device, called a nerve guidance conduit (NGC), is a framework of tiny tubes, which guide the damaged nerve ends towards each other so that they can repair naturally.
Patients with nerve injuries can suffer complete loss of sensation in the damaged area, which can be extremely debilitating. Current methods of repairing nerve damage require surgery to suture or graft the nerve endings, a practice which often yields imperfect results.
Although some NGCs are currently used in surgery, they can only be made using a limited range of materials and designs, making them suitable only for certain types of injury.
The technique, developed in Sheffield’s Faculty of Engineering, uses Computer Aided Design (CAD) to design the devices, which are then fabricated using laser direct writing, a form of 3D printing. The advantage of this is that it can be adapted for any type of nerve damage or even tailored to an individual patient.
Researchers used the 3D printed guides to repair nerve injuries using a novel mouse model developed in Sheffield’s Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health to measure nerve regrowth. They were able to demonstrate successful repair over an injury gap of 3mm, in a 21-day period.
“The advantage of 3D printing is that NGCs can be made to the precise shapes required by clinicians,” says John Haycock, Professor of Bioengineering at Sheffield. “We’ve shown that this works in animal models, so the next step is to take this technique towards the clinic”.
The Latest on: Nerve damage
via Google News
The Latest on: Nerve damage
- Ashley Judd Reveals ‘Nights Are A Savage Agony’ Amid Recovery From Serious Leg Injuryon March 6, 2021 at 4:33 pm
Ashley Judd is sharing details on her recovery process after seriously injuring her leg during an accident in the Congolese Rainforest. The 56-year-old actress sustained the injury after tripping over ...
- No. 1 UConn hammers St. John's in Big East quarterfinals, but loses freshman Nika Muhl to injuryon March 6, 2021 at 11:26 am
If the top-ranked Huskies had any nerves about the bigger stage, they showed no signs of them, hammering eighth-seeded St. John’s 77-41 in the Big East quarterfinals Saturday. UConn advanced to Sunday ...
- Browns CB Greedy Williams Reflects On Season Lost To Nerve Damage: ‘I Couldn’t Feel My Arm’on March 5, 2021 at 2:40 am
While it didn’t come entirely out of left field, the Cleveland Browns’ long-awaited—though not necessarily long-anticipated—turnaround of last season is made all the more surprising when considering ...
- Greedy Williams opens up about his dead shoulder, hurtful ‘fake injury’ attacks, and plans to ‘shock the world’ in ’21on March 4, 2021 at 1:06 pm
In this exclusive interview, Greedy Williams discusses the nerve damage in his shoulder, the charges he was faking it, and how he plans to come back better than ever in 2021.
- Study reveals potential risk factors for developing nerve damage after cancer treatmenton March 4, 2021 at 9:02 am
A low hemoglobin count, older age and high BMI are possible risk factors for developing nerve damage after cancer treatment, a UNSW-led study has found.
- Nerve damage after chemo: Potential risk factors revealedon March 4, 2021 at 4:58 am
Being older, overweight and having low hemoglobin levels (fewer red blood cells) could increase a patient's risk of developing debilitating nerve damage following chemotherapy, a research team led by ...
- Inside Buddy Valastro's Road to Recovery After His Gruesome Hand Injuryon March 3, 2021 at 8:00 am
Knives still present an issue. Buttons as well. But five months a "freak accident" damaged Buddy Valastro's right hand, he's more determined than ever to return to boss status in the kitchen.
- Effect of intravitreal ranibizumab and aflibercept injections on retinal nerve fiber layer thicknesson March 2, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The purpose is to evaluate the effects of multiple intravitreal ranibizumab (IVR) and aflibercept (IVA) injections on peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) thickness in patients with ...
- Nervogen Pro Reviews – New nerve supplement – Product Review by ProductWorldon February 28, 2021 at 9:02 pm
Nervogen Pro is a dietary supplement with a formula made to support and enhance the nervous system with powerful ingredients, herbs, and antioxidants. Check out the details Nervogen Pro Nerve ...
- Research Roundup: Compound Reverses ALS Nerve Damage and Moreon February 26, 2021 at 10:56 pm
Researchers at Northwestern University identified a compound that appears to reverse the ongoing degeneration of upper motor neurons associated with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
via Bing News