We’ve previously seen designers use the presence of swimming pools or take advantage of prevailing winds to help passively cool homes. But what if every brick used to build a house could cool it down?
Design studio Emerging Objects has come out with 3D-printed porous bricks called Cool Bricks that can be filled with water to bring down temperatures.
The bricks utilize the principle of evaporative cooling, where water vapor is added to air to lower the temperature. If you’ve ever hung a wet cloth in front of the window to cool the breeze flowing in, you’ve used the same principle.
Each 3D-printed cool brick, has a three dimensional ceramic lattice-like structure that can hold water in its pores, like a sponge. When air flows through the porous brick it absorbs evaporated water vapor, becoming cooler in the process. According to the designers, if all the walls of a home were built with porous, water-logged cool bricks, the air flow through them could bring down the home’s internal temperature.
“It’s an alternative to air conditioning or an electric swamp cooler,” Ronald Rael, one of the designers, tells Gizmag. “It is a much more natural, energy-saving tactic for passive cooling in arid environments.”
Learn more: 3D-printed bricks can cool a room with water
The Latest on: 3D-printed bricks
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D-printed bricks
- Green Brick Partners Closes 3.25% $125 Million Senior Unsecured Notes Offeringon March 4, 2021 at 7:19 am
PLANO, Texas, March 04, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Green Brick Partners, Inc. (NASDAQ: GRBK) (the "Company"), a national homebuilding and land development firm, announced today that the Company has ...
- Microfluidic LEGO Brickson March 1, 2021 at 4:01 pm
However, progress creeps in this petty pace from day to day, and in accordance, a group of researchers have found a way to use 3D printed molds to create microfluidic LEGO bricks that make ...
- SWAE transforms mclaren 720S with 3D printed twill carbon fiberon March 1, 2021 at 2:19 pm
this special edition 720S is also equipped with the first-ever 3D printed titanium wing supports mounted to the car, an intricate process that required intensive design validation.
- World’s first 3D-printed home listed for saleon March 1, 2021 at 9:39 am
The experiment is about to begin on Long Island, where eco-friendly real estate company SQ4D is set to debut its first 3D-printed house this spring, according to Newsday. The company’s patent ...
- Want To Build An Open Source Hardware And Software Robot?on February 28, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The kit includes servomotors and 3D printed parts. The hand grippers may be controlled ... LeJOS is a drop-in firmware replacement for Lego Mindstorms programmable bricks used in First League ...
- Woods Bagot tops school library with "tree-like" timber ceilingon February 27, 2021 at 4:00 am
Woods Bagot has completed a library building at a girls' boarding school in Wiltshire, England, that features a faceted wooden ceiling designed to evoke spreading tree branches. Woods Bagot's ...
- Children news headlineon February 26, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Lego VIDIYO will start appearing on app stores and store shelves in a bid to combine the world's most famous plastic bricks with the ... reconstruction using a 3D printed ear.
- World's first 3D-printed school planned for Madagascaron February 25, 2021 at 8:17 am
The 3D-printed school is the product of a collaboration ... printing process will be 27 times stronger than a sun dried clay brick, 3.5 times stronger than a kiln fired clay brick and two times ...
- 3D Printed, Lego-Like Bricks can Heal Soft Tissue, Boneon February 24, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Researchers have used inspiration from a child’s toy to create new 3D printed bricks that could one day be used to heal broken bones, repair human tissue, and even create artificial human organs. A ...
- thinking huts plans to construct the world's first 3D printed school in madagascaron February 24, 2021 at 8:04 am
featuring 3D printed walls, each hut will have a secure door, operating windows, and internet access. externally, the hybrid design features a vertical farm and solar panels, while the interior ...
via Bing News