One of the consolations of spending far too much time online is that you get to witness the birth of new ideas and new terms, along with new uses of existing ones.
On Medium, Chris Messina points out two recent examples of creative re-purposing of older ideas and words. The first is the apparently trivial idea of “unlisted” content:
My first personal experience with “unlisted” content online was likely on YouTube. Making a video unlisted means that only people who have the link to the video can view it. It also means that the content won’t be broadcast to followers, or appear on the creator’s public profile. This is known as security through obscurity since the video isn’t secret, it’s just hard to find. An unlisted video can be viewed without requiring authentication.
Services seem to offer “unlisted” publishing to simplify sharing while providing more flexibility. It’s a pragmatic solution to address the challenge that what people think they want (i.e. 100% secrecy and control) isn’t in practice what they’re willing to put up with. It comes down to behavioral economics: if the value of keeping something secret is less than the frustration caused by maintaining its secrecy, people will route around the system designed to keep the thing secret.
As he points out, in addition to YouTube, “unlisted” services are now available from Flickr, Dropbox, Google Drive, Vimeo and Medium. His other cultural find is at a much earlier stage of its development: the “burner account.”
The Latest on: Online Surveillance
via Google News
The Latest on: Online Surveillance
- Warning for New Zealanders to check passwords after security cameras hackedon January 23, 2021 at 10:14 pm
People who own home, or business security cameras, are being urged to check their connections are secure. It comes after several live shots from poorly protected cameras in New Zealand started ...
- Security News This Week: The FTC Cracks Down on Bot-Happy Ticket Scalperson January 23, 2021 at 6:05 am
In 2016, Congress passed the Better Online Ticket Sales Act, intended to target the bots that flood sites and snatch up prime seats before everyday fans can. On Friday, the Federal Trade Commission ...
- Students raise concerns over surveillance in online examson January 23, 2021 at 2:10 am
The new year is traditionally a time for exams in Swiss universities and they will take place online this year. But not everyone is happy about it.
- RBI Security Guard Recruitment 2021: Apply online for 241 postson January 23, 2021 at 12:31 am
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has invited applications for the recruitment to the posts of Security Guards in various offices of the Bank.
- RBI Recruitment: Apply online for 241 vacancies for security guard postson January 22, 2021 at 11:10 pm
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has invited online applications for recruitment against 241 Vacancies for the post of security guard. Aspirants can apply online till February 12 at rbi.org.in.
- Sophos Home provides commercial security for Mac and iOSon January 22, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Sophos Home provides commercial security for Mac and iOS While Macs are not as vulnerable to viruses, malware and other threats as ...
- Sophos Home brings commercial-grade security to everyone for Mac, iOS, PC, Android [30% off deal]on January 22, 2021 at 3:11 pm
If you want to up your Mac, iOS, and PC security, Sophos Home offers commercial-grade protection for anyone with advanced features like remote management.
- MSNBC's Joe Scarborough Doesn't Understand Why Trump Activists Aren't Under Surveillanceon January 22, 2021 at 9:10 am
"I never understood why we don't go as aggressively after domestic terrorists as we do Islamic terrorists," Scarborough said on Friday.
- Germany Expected To Put Right-Wing AfD Under Surveillance For Violating Constitutionon January 22, 2021 at 7:22 am
Germany's Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution has wrapped up a two-year investigation into the Alternative for Germany. The party's far-right branch is already under surveillance.
- Get Online Security and More with Your Free VPNon January 19, 2021 at 4:15 am
By more, we mean, saving lots of money while online shopping. INDIA8, 2021 / EINPresswire.com / -- I’m pretty sure most of us, if not all, have already heard of and used a Virtual Private Network (VPN ...
via Bing News