Three new military technology research programs are showing us two things.
First, the term “spectrum warfare” is evolving quickly well-understood mainstream usage, and second, spectrum warfare rapidly is taking its place as a top U.S. military priority.
For the uninitiated, spectrum warfare is an umbrella term that comprises the hitherto separate military disciplines of electronic warfare, cyber warfare, optical warfare, and navigation warfare.
Of these separate components that are morphing into a spectrum warfare whole, electronic warfare (EW) probably is best known. EW involves controlling the radio frequency (RF) spectrum to enable the U.S. and its allies freely to operate RF systems like radio communications and radar, and denying this ability to adversaries.
EW involves encompasses technologies and applications that involve RF jamming, signals intelligence, electronic intelligence, and other disciplines to control and deny use of the RF spectrum.
Cyber warfare involves computer hacking, introducing malicious computer viruses without the recipient’s knowledge, theft of computer passwords, and spying on data flowing over sensitive networks. Cyber also involves information security and cyber security technologies designed to protect sensitive government and business networks and computers from hackers.
Optical warfare is similar to EW, except that it involves light instead of radio waves. Optical warfare involves simple applications like surveillance with visible-light cameras and infrared sensors, to laser targeting, laser-based defenses against infrared-guided missiles, and high-energy laser weapons to defend against rockets, mortars, and artillery shells.
Navigation warfare the use and denial of satellite navigation technologies like the Global Positioning System. It describes the free use by the U.S. and its allies of GPS technologies for navigating ships, vehicles, and aircraft to and from their destinations, as well as for guiding smart munitions to their targets.
The Latest on: Spectrum warfare
via Google News
The Latest on: Spectrum warfare
- Fairview Releases Input Protected GaN LNAson June 16, 2021 at 10:36 am
Fairview Microwave, an Infinite Electronics brand, has unveiled a new series of GaN-based Low Noise Amplifiers (LNAs) for use in electronic warfare, radar, space systems, R&D, prototype/proof of ...
- Modernized electronic warfare for the global F-16 fleeton June 15, 2021 at 2:43 pm
As the electromagnetic spectrum becomes more contested and congested worldwide, modern electronic warfare systems are essential equipment for tactical aircraft.
- Drop ‘Littoral Combat’: America’s 17 Independence Class Ships Are Surveillance Frigateson June 14, 2021 at 11:40 am
In all the debate over the Navy’s battered and now largely derided “Littoral Combat Ship” concept, the Independence Class littoral combat ship has been both misnamed and consistently misunderstood.
- Eurasia Partnership Shiphandling Event Fosters Cooperative Relationships, Sharpens Skillson June 14, 2021 at 11:11 am
VARNA, Bulgaria - U.S. Naval Forces Europe’s Maritime Partnership Program co-hosted the third annual Eurasia Partnership Shiphandling Event with the Nikola Vaptsarov Naval Academy in Varna, Bulgaria ...
- Edgewater Candles’ Mark Towns talks about the power of pride, 43+ different ways to celebrateon June 14, 2021 at 9:55 am
Mark Towns, co-owner of Edgewater Candles, joins Steve Bertrand on Chicago’s Afternoon News to talk about what Pride Month means to him and their latest product line, the Pride Flag Candle ...
- DOD Issues RPP Through the National Spectrum Consortium (NSC) to Leverage 5G and Augmented Reality to Save Warfighters' Liveson June 14, 2021 at 6:35 am
The US Department of Defense (DoD) has issued a Request for Prototype Proposal (RPP) to the members of the National Spectrum Consortium ...
- Parsons to Acquire BlackHorse Solutions Incon June 14, 2021 at 2:50 am
Parsons Corporation has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire BlackHorse Solutions, Inc. in an accretive deal valued at $203 million. Founded in 2018, BlackHorse expands Parsons’ customer ...
- Trump's army of God: Doug Mastriano and the Christian nationalist attack on democracyon June 12, 2021 at 9:36 am
Pennsylvania lawmaker is a Christian zealot, an academic fraud and an insurrectionist. He's the tip of the iceberg ...
- Electronic Warfare Market Analysis 2021, Size, Total Revenues, Product Scope, Business Development and Opportunities till 2030on June 9, 2021 at 12:54 am
In a recent published report, Kenneth Research has updated the market report for Electronic Warfare Market for 2021 ...
- Department of Defense Successfully Demonstrates a 5G Network for Smart Warehouseson June 8, 2021 at 11:49 am
G-to-Next G Initiative (5GI), overseen by the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering, successfully demonstrated an advanced 5G network for logistics modernization ...
via Bing News