Lindsey Vonn. Derrick Rose. Tom Brady. Mickey Mantle. They have all fallen victim to the dreaded pop of the knee.
Connecting the femur to the tibia, the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) rupture is one of the most devastating injuries in sports. No other injury has sidelined more athletes for a season or even the rest of a career. And ACL sprains and tears affect more people than just the pros. According to the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons, more than 250,000 ACL surgeries are performed annually in the United States, totaling up to more than $500 million in health care costs each year.
Not only is the ACL inelastic and prone to popping, it is incapable of healing itself, causing surgeons to rely on autografts for reconstruction. Most common is the bone-patellar tendon-bone (BPTB) graft, in which the surgeon removes part of the patellar tendon to replace the damaged ACL.
“BPTB autografts have a high incidence of knee pain and discomfort that does not go away,” said Guillermo Ameer, professor of biomedical engineering at the McCormick School of Engineering and professor of surgery at the Feinberg School of Medicine. “By saving the patient’s patellar tendon and using an off-the-shelf product, one may have a better chance of preserving the natural biomechanics of the knee.”
Ameer and his research team are working to engineer such a product by combining three components: polyester fibers that are braided to increase strength and toughness, an inherently antioxidant and porous biomaterial previously created in Ameer’s lab, and calcium nanocrystals, a mineral naturally found in human teeth and bones. His work is described in the paper “A biodegradable tri-component graft for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” which was published in the Nov. 21 issue of the Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine.
The Latest on: ACL Replacement
[google_news title=”” keyword=”ACL Replacement” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: ACL Replacement
- ACL injury doesn't have to end your child's sports dream. Here's 5 tips for full recoveryon March 2, 2024 at 3:09 pm
Two ACL injuries? Why the stories of Michael Penix Jr. and Rhys Hoskins and their torn ACLs should give parents of injured teens hope but also pause.
- Texas RB Jonathon Brooks is expected to be ready for camp after 2023 torn ACLon February 26, 2024 at 1:00 pm
Running back Jonathon Brooks isn't going to be doing anything on the field at the Scouting Combine this week, but he is reportedly on track to be back in action this summer.
- Wolves striker Kalajdzic undergoes surgery on ACL injuryon February 23, 2024 at 4:25 am
Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Sasa Kalajdzic underwent surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury on Friday.Kalajdzic sustained the injury, the third significant knee injury of his ...
- Mets’ Ronny Mauricio trying to continue development despite torn ACLon February 22, 2024 at 6:28 pm
The rookie infielder, who is rehabbing from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, has a locker in the Mets clubhouse and will attempt to absorb as much information ...
- Chiefs DE Charles Omenihu undergoes surgery to repair ACL tearon February 21, 2024 at 4:43 pm
February 22 - Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Charles Omenihu underwent right knee surgery to repair the torn ACL he sustained in the AFC Championship Game victory over the Baltimore Ravens on Jan.
- Mia Fishel tears her right ACL in US practice for the Gold Cup. Alex Morgan replaces heron February 20, 2024 at 11:30 am
Veteran Alex Morgan will replace Mia Fishel on the U.S. national team’s roster for the CONCACAF Women’s Gold Cup after the Chelsea forward tore a ligament in her right knee during practice ...
- USWNT prospect Mia Fishel out of Concacaf W Gold Cup after ACL tear: Alex Morgan named as replacementon February 20, 2024 at 10:35 am
U.S. women's national team prospect Mia Fishel will miss the Concacaf W Gold Cup after tearing her ACL in training on Monday, likely keeping her out of the running for a spot at July's Olympic Games ...
- Chelsea Forward Mia Fishell Suffers ACL Injury During USWNT Campon February 20, 2024 at 10:25 am
Via a statement, Chelsea Football Club confirmed striker Mia Fishel has sustained an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury while on international duty with the US Women’s National Team. Mia will be ...
- Global Cruciate Ligament Repair Procedures Market Analysis & Forecast 2024-2034: Market Forecast to Surge to $28.95 Billion by 2034on February 11, 2024 at 3:59 pm
By procedure type, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) repair was the highest revenue-grossing segment in the global cruciate ligament repair procedures market in 2023 owing to the growing prevalence ...
via Bing News