UAlberta researchers solve heads-up limit Texas hold ‘em poker.
In a world first, researchers in the Computer Poker Research Group at the University of Alberta have essentially solved heads-up limit Texas hold ‘em poker with their program, called Cepheus.
“Poker has been a challenge problem for artificial intelligence going back over 40 years, and until now, heads-up limit Texas hold ‘em poker was unsolved,” says Michael Bowling, lead author and professor in the Faculty of Science, whose findings were published Jan. 9 in the journal Science.
For more than a half-century, games have been test beds for new ideas in artificial intelligence. The resulting successes have marked significant milestones, from IBM’s Deep Blue defeating world champion Garry Kasparov in chess and Watson beating top-earning Jeopardy! champs Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter.
But as Bowling points out, defeating top human players is not the same as actually solving a game—especially a game like poker.
The challenge of imperfect information
In poker, players have imperfect information—they don’t have full knowledge of past events, and they can’t see their opponents’ hands. The most popular variant of poker today is Texas hold ‘em. When it is played with just two players and with fixed bet sizes and a limited number of raises allowed, it is called heads-up limit hold ‘em.
The possible situations in this poker version are fewer than in checkers—which U of A computing science researchers solved in 2007, led by now dean of science Jonathan Schaeffer—but the imperfect-information nature of heads-up limit hold ‘em makes it a far more challenging game for computers to play or solve.
“We define a game to be essentially solved if a lifetime of play is unable to statistically differentiate it from being solved at 95% confidence,” explains Bowling. “Imagine someone playing 200 hands of poker an hour for 12 hours a day without missing a day for 70 years. Furthermore, imagine them employing the worst-case, maximally exploitive opponent strategy—and never making a mistake. They still cannot be certain they are actually winning.”
Read more: Poker-playing program knows when to fold ’em
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
- Humans must create 'friendly' machines as artificial intelligence gets smarter, author sayson May 25, 2022 at 6:13 pm
Humans must ensure artificial intelligence, which is destined to become much smarter than people, remains "friendly," according to a documentary filmmaker.
- 10 at 10: These ASX VR and artificial intelligence stocks are electrifying in early tradeon May 25, 2022 at 5:38 pm
Stockhead’s Top 10 at 10 highlights the best (and worst) performing ASX stocks in morning trade using live data.
- Artificial Intelligence Software Market | Key Drivers, Business Insights, and Future Trends by 2026on May 25, 2022 at 4:50 am
Adoption of various technologies such as the internet of things (IoT), machine learning, and industry 4.0. is expected to provide lucrative opportunities for the global artificial intelligence ...
- Mizzou researchers look at using artificial intelligence to develop new materials fasteron May 25, 2022 at 4:02 am
MU researchers want to teach computers to learn how to produce new materials faster with this $5 million government grant.
- Earthquake researchers hope artificial intelligence could lead to prediction breakthroughon May 24, 2022 at 5:08 pm
We hear it from earthquake experts all the time: there’s no way to predict when the next big earthquake will happen. But could 21st century technological advances change that? Some ...
- Artificial Intelligence to make roads in India safer to driveon May 24, 2022 at 10:08 am
India's Ministry of Science and Technology said that this unique approach uses the predictive power of AI to identify risks on the road, and a collision alert system to communicate timely alerts to ...
- Patients recognize role of artificial intelligence in diagnosis, treatmenton May 22, 2022 at 5:22 am
In a patient survey, 66% of respondents said AI plays a large role in their diagnosis and treatment and thought it was important.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Oil and Gas Market – Big Changes to Have Big Impact (2022-2027)on May 21, 2022 at 12:29 am
Latest published market study on Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Oil and Gas Market provides an overview of the current market dynamics in the Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Oil and Gas space, ...
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Food and Beverage Market to enjoy explosive growth | Aboard Software, Analytical Flavor Systems, Deepnify, etc.on May 20, 2022 at 3:14 am
Impact Analysis on the Growth of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Food and Beverage Market The global artificial intelligence in food & beverages ...
- Artificial Intelligence And Its Role In Healthcareon May 20, 2022 at 12:59 am
Artificial intelligence (AI) is growing more common in modern industry and everyday life, and it is increasingly being used in healthcare. AI in healthcare can help healthcare providers with various ...
via Bing News