To stay warm when temperatures drop outside, we heat our indoor spaces — even when no one is in them.
But scientists have now developed a novel nanowire coating for clothes that can both generate heat and trap the heat from our bodies better than regular clothes. They report on their technology, which could help us reduce our reliance on conventional energy sources, in the ACS journalNano Letters.
Yi Cui and colleagues note that nearly half of global energy consumption goes toward heating buildings and homes. But this comfort comes with a considerable environmental cost – it’s responsible for up to a third of the world’s total greenhouse gas emissions. Scientists and policymakers have tried to reduce the impact of indoor heating by improving insulation and construction materials to keep fuel-generated warmth inside. Cui’s team wanted to take a different approach and focus on people rather than spaces.
The researchers developed lightweight, breathable mesh materials that are flexible enough to coat normal clothes. When compared to regular clothing material, the special nanowire cloth trapped body heat far more effectively. Because the coatings are made out of conductive materials, they can also be actively warmed with an electricity source to further crank up the heat. The researchers calculated that their thermal textiles could save about 1,000 kilowatt hours per person every year — that’s about how much electricity an average U.S. home consumes in one month.
The Latest on: Nanowire clothing
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Nanowire clothing” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Nanowire clothing
- Tu Clothing Discount code – Save 50% in January 2023on January 30, 2023 at 6:15 am
We may receive a commission, when you use a deal or voucher on our site. 5 out of 5 stars from 1 votes Tu Clothing offer high street-quality attire for supermarket prices. Owned by Sainsbury’s ...
- The Best Plus-Size Clothing Brands For Women, According To Fashion Expertson January 27, 2023 at 7:29 pm
After decades of being underrepresented in fashion, finding the best plus-size clothing isn’t as tricky as it once was. The plus-size apparel market is thriving; according to Statista ...
- Nanowire Battery Market Size, Sales, CAGR And Competition Data from 2023 To 2029on January 11, 2023 at 8:19 am
Jan 11, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- “Nanowire Battery Market" report’s competitive evaluation part covers the list of competitors, economic conditions, latest developments, competitive analysis ...
- Nanowire Battery Market Size 2023 Research Report Analysis by Industrial Regions, Key Players, Product Types, New Updates and Forecast to 2026on January 8, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Worldwide “Nanowire Battery Market” 2023 report offers business strategy, covers complete scenario for market definition and overview including market segmentation (type, application ...
- Chemist draws on research to create arton January 6, 2023 at 12:26 pm
And that influence suffuses his artwork, often created in conjunction with his science: a riverscape with a nanowire forest, a neural cell framed as a snowcapped mountain. These are created digitally, ...
- The 12 Best Clothing Subscription Boxes for Menon January 6, 2023 at 7:45 am
CLOTHING SUBSCRIPTION boxes solve multiple daily problems related to a man's wardrobe. Especially for men who hate going shopping or who could use some "enlightening" on their sense of style, this ...
- New nanowire sensors are the next step in the Internet of Thingson January 5, 2023 at 4:00 pm
The key to the device is a PN junction—the engine of a solar cell—in the shape of a nanowire (a small hexagonal pillar with diameter about 100 nanometers, height 3 to 4 microns) sitting on a base.
- 20 best clothing subscription boxes for women, men, kids and teens in 2023on January 5, 2023 at 5:19 am
Browse our picks below, sorted by women’s, men’s and children’s monthly clothing box delivery options for everyone in the family. Want a full range of options for all seasons that doubles as ...
- Nanowire photonicson October 6, 2022 at 4:42 am
Figure 3: Nanowire assembly with optical trapping. To realize the integration of nanowires into large-scale optoelectronic devices and systems, assembly techniques that are scalable, massively ...
- Yours Clothing Discount Code – Save 87% in February 2023on October 1, 2020 at 2:51 am
5 out of 5 stars from 1 votes Being curvy and proud is the ethos of Yours Clothing. Offering trendy and comfortable fashion for sizes 14-40, everyone can feel good, whatever their shape.
via Bing News