A team of American and Australian researchers claim they have created algorithms that enable robots to learn operational skills by watching human activities. They “taught” their robot to cook by showing it some YouTube videos.
This method implies that a robot receives large chunks of information through a number artificial neural networks, be it audio and video images recognition or other information inputs, then sums the new data up and acts in accordance with the freshly obtained experience.
The robot employs recognition techniques that make it capable of recognizing specific objects, the way they are grasped by the human hand, and even predicting the next action most likely to be made with the object. This means that the robot could analyze and learn how to handle instruments and tools.
Modern robots could thus be “taught” to mechanically repeat a certain operation, e.g. painting a vehicle, yet a machine capable of analyzing the process to learn “how it works” has an invaluable importance for the future of robotics.
The scientists claim that the AI robot created by the researchers was trained to cook using 88 videos of people cooking found on the web. Once the robot analyzed the videos, it was able to generate the commands it would need to cook food.
“We believe this preliminary integrated system raises hope toward a fully intelligent robot for manipulation tasks that can automatically enrich its own knowledge resource by “watching” recordings from the World Wide Web,” the researchers said.
The Latest on: Deep learning
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Deep learning” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Deep learning
- Deep Learning Discovers Millions Of New Materials (Google)on December 6, 2023 at 12:48 pm
A technical paper titled “Scaling deep learning for materials discovery” was published by researchers at Google DeepMind and Google Research. Abstract: “Novel functional materials enable fundamental ...
- Apple silently releases its Deep Learning framework as open-source codeon December 6, 2023 at 7:19 am
Apple is silently releasing its Deep Learning framework as an open-source code, according to X user Delip Rao. The new MLX framework runs natively on Apple Silicon with a single pip install. According ...
- Apple has new free AI & Machine Learning toolson December 6, 2023 at 3:21 am
Apple has decided to take its work to a very specific audience. It's giving away a deep learning (DL) framework that its Machine Learning team has developed. It's meant to be tested, used, and ...
- Deep Learning Model Flags Non-Smokers at Increased Risk for Lung Canceron December 5, 2023 at 5:00 am
A new model has shown that among non-smokers, there is a 2.1 times greater risk of developing lung cancer for those in high-risk groups compared to their peers.
- Deep Learning and Machine Learning Models for COPD Prognosis Show Limited Improvement, Study Findson December 5, 2023 at 3:44 am
Researchers recently conducted a meta-analysis to assess the effectiveness of deep learning and machine learning models in predicting long-term outcomes for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD ...
- Deep learning models can improve low-field MRI images for better clinical diagnoseson December 5, 2023 at 3:32 am
While low-field MRI scans have several logistical advantages, 64mT scans can also present discrepancies affecting the clinical diagnosis. For example, diagnosing certain conditions such as ...
- New deep learning challenge to estimate breast density from mammogramson December 4, 2023 at 4:00 pm
A new deep learning challenge has been launched by the UEF Cancer AI research team at the University of eastern Finland, led by senior researcher Hamid Behravan, PhD. The challenge aims to develop an ...
- Deep learning and machine learning prognostic models for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseon December 4, 2023 at 4:00 pm
In a recent study published in The Lancet Digital Health, researchers performed a meta-analysis to evaluate the quality and performance of deep learning and machine learning models for long-term ...
- When deep learning meets active learning in the era of foundation modelson December 1, 2023 at 8:53 am
A Chinese research team wrote a review article on deep active learning, an increasingly popular method of combining active learning with deep learning for sample selection in the training of neural ...
- Researchers develop novel deep learning-based detection system for autonomous vehicleson December 1, 2023 at 6:09 am
Autonomous vehicles require object detection systems to navigate traffic and avoid obstacles on the road. However, current detection methods often suffer from diminished detection capabilities due to ...
via Bing News