Car maker Toyota has announced that it will freely share almost 6,000 patents it owns covering hydrogen fuel cell technology.
It said it took the step in a bid to drive development of cars that use the alternative fuel source.
The announcement was made soon after it showed off its Mirai hydrogen-driven car in Las Vegas.
Toyota is one of a record number of car makers attending CES to unveil new models or connected-car strategies.
The patents will be made available free of charge to anyone wanting to use them. The patent portfolio covers fuel cell stacks, high-pressure hydrogen tanks, software control systems and the industrial processes involved in generating and supplying the gas.
“When good ideas are shared, great things can happen,” said Bob Carter, senior vice president of automotive operations at Toyota in a statement.
He added that the first generation of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, which are expected to be launched over the next five years, would require “unconventional collaboration” among car makers, governments, power firms and researchers.
Read more: CES 2015: Toyota opens up hydrogen patents
The Latest on: Patent sharing
via Google News
The Latest on: Patent sharing
- StemProtein Awarded U.S. Patent for Biodegradable Microneedle Deviceon August 23, 2021 at 4:49 am
Nikolai Tankovich (Chairman) and Vasiliy Portnoy (President and CTO) this patent is based on a device which includes a microneedle array consisting of one or more biodegradable needles capable of ...
- Stealth BioTherapeutics Strengthens IP Portfolio with Issuance of U.S. Patents Covering Elamipretide for Barth Syndromeon August 23, 2021 at 4:39 am
U.S. Patent Numbers 11,083,771 and 11,083,772, were granted on August 10, 2021, and include claims for the administration of elamipretide for treating Barth syndrome and Barth syndrome-related ...
- Roche’s Actemra shortage is another argument to suspend patents on Covid-19 drugson August 20, 2021 at 12:36 pm
Actemra, the anti-arthritis drug used to treat hospitalized Covid-19 patients, is in short supply. The medication was approved for use on Covid-19 patients by the Food and Drug Administration in June, ...
- Lack of diversity in patent holders means ‘half of the population’ isn’t getting needs met, economist Lisa Cook sayson August 20, 2021 at 3:15 am
Throughout history, women and underrepresented minorities have not been able to participate fully in each stage of the innovation process,” Lisa Cook, a professor of economics and international ...
- Natco Pharma share price falls 5% on setback in US patent litigationon August 20, 2021 at 12:48 am
Natco and partner Alvogen are reviewing the order and will evaluate all options to appeal the judgment, the pharma firm has said ...
- I3 patents international biometric verification without personal data exchangeon August 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
The patent describes a system held by each country which includes technologies to convert biometric data into templates which cannot be reconstructed.
- Apple Car patented feature lets owners share their cars with others without releasing the keyson August 17, 2021 at 10:43 am
The last has not been heard about the much-hyped Apple car in the making. Recently Apple was reported to be in talks with Korean partners on the development of the Apple car, and more details are now ...
- Waiving Covid-19 Vaccine Patents Won’t Solve the Global Needon August 17, 2021 at 1:00 am
Developing countries and advocacy groups have called on pharmaceutical companies and governments to waive patent rights on Covid-19 vaccines in response to the global pandemic. But Jorge Goldstein, co ...
- Sonos scores big patent win over Google — stock surge may be just getting startedon August 16, 2021 at 5:18 am
A big win for Sonos on the patent front against Google may unlock more gains for the stock price than the initial 12% pop seen in pre-market trading on Monday. A U.S. Internationa ...
- Archer Materials (ASX:AXE) share price surges 30% on patent updateon August 15, 2021 at 10:00 pm
Shares in the high-tech materials company surged today on its latest news out of the US. The post Archer Materials (ASX:AXE) share price surges 30% on patent update appeared first on The Motley Fool ...
via Bing News