Car maker Toyota has announced that it will freely share almost 6,000 patents it owns covering hydrogen fuel cell technology.
It said it took the step in a bid to drive development of cars that use the alternative fuel source.
The announcement was made soon after it showed off its Mirai hydrogen-driven car in Las Vegas.
Toyota is one of a record number of car makers attending CES to unveil new models or connected-car strategies.
The patents will be made available free of charge to anyone wanting to use them. The patent portfolio covers fuel cell stacks, high-pressure hydrogen tanks, software control systems and the industrial processes involved in generating and supplying the gas.
“When good ideas are shared, great things can happen,” said Bob Carter, senior vice president of automotive operations at Toyota in a statement.
He added that the first generation of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, which are expected to be launched over the next five years, would require “unconventional collaboration” among car makers, governments, power firms and researchers.
Read more: CES 2015: Toyota opens up hydrogen patents
The Latest on: Patent sharing
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Patent sharing” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Patent sharing
- Retail Technology Platform Surefront Secures USPTO Patent for Cross-Entity Communications & Collaborationon February 28, 2024 at 1:02 am
"The sharing and enumerating of data models and information across multiple entities already underpin many of the services that we offer today," said Doug Heckmann, Chief Solutions Officer of ...
- Unified Patent is game changer, says EPO chief – interviewon February 28, 2024 at 12:17 am
Unified Patent is huge step forward in the creation of a single market for technology, putting Europe on a par with the US and China, EPO chief Antonio Campinos tells Euronews in an interview. View on ...
- Zero Motorcycles files patent for swingarm assembly for two-wheel vehicle with enclosed cavitieson February 27, 2024 at 4:00 pm
According to GlobalData’s company profile on Zero Motorcycles, Battery management systems was a key innovation area identified from patents. Zero Motorcycles's grant share as of January 2024 was 37%.
- BRP files patent for customizable assembly method for electric motorcycles with varying characteristicson February 27, 2024 at 4:00 pm
According to GlobalData’s company profile on BRP, Battery health monitoring was a key innovation area identified from patents. BRP's grant share as of January 2024 was 70%. Grant share is based on the ...
- Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches in Writing a Patent Applicationon February 27, 2024 at 4:15 am
It is independent of the final form of the application, which has a rigid format and must meet the requirements of the patent application. Figs. 1 and 2 illustrate the top-down and bottom-up ...
- No patents, no problem: how Formula 1 technology races ahead without patent protectionon February 25, 2024 at 3:59 pm
Patents for technology that is applied outside the F1 racing ... The position at law may also be clarified and supported by contractual terms agreed between parties when sharing confidential ...
- DC dispatch: senators push for prescription patent reform at Capitol Hill panelon February 24, 2024 at 12:34 am
Marissa Zupancic is JURIST’s Washington DC Correspondent, a JURIST Senior Editor and a 3L at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. She’s stationed in Washington during her Semester in DC. US ...
- Litigators of the Week: Kirkland Duo Keeps Up Trial Streak With Defense Win for Samsung in $4B Patent Caseon February 23, 2024 at 4:42 am
Adam Alper and Michael De Vries helped Samsung fight off infringement claims from Demaray LLC at trail in Waco, Texas, marking their seventh straight trial win in high-stakes cases.
- Future Apple Vision Pros may allow users to share enhanced reality scenes with other Vision Proson February 20, 2024 at 7:18 am
One of the complaints about the Apple Vision Pro is that it’s very isolating. Apple may be working on it, as the company has been granted a patent (US 11908086 B2) for “Techniques for Participating in ...
- IGC Pharma Announces Q3 2024 Earnings: Strategic Patent Achievements Propel Forward Amid Losseson February 19, 2024 at 5:17 am
IGC Pharma secures groundbreaking patents in Europe and Mexico ... IGC Price Action IGC's shares were trading 1.18% higher at $0.30 per share at the time of this writing around 1:00 PM ET Monday.
via Bing News