UNSW‘s solar researchers have converted over 40% of the sunlight hitting a solar system into electricity, the highest efficiency ever reported.
The world-beating efficiency was achieved in outdoor tests in Sydney, before being independently confirmed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) at their outdoor test facility in the United States.
The work was funded by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) and supported by the Australia–US Institute for Advanced Photovoltaics (AUSIAPV)
“This is the highest efficiency ever reported for sunlight conversion into electricity,” UNSW Scientia Professor and Director of the Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics (ACAP) Professor Martin Green said.
“We used commercial solar cells, but in a new way, so these efficiency improvements are readily accessible to the solar industry,” added Dr Mark Keevers, the UNSW solar scientist who managed the project.
The 40% efficiency milestone is the latest in a long line of achievements by UNSW solar researchers spanning four decades. These include the first photovoltaic system to convert sunlight to electricity with over 20% efficiency in 1989, with the new result doubling this performance.
“The new results are based on the use of focused sunlight, and are particularly relevant to photovoltaic power towers being developed in Australia,” Professor Green said.
The Latest on: Solar energy efficiency
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar energy efficiency
- New Design Improves Efficiency of Next-Generation Perovskite Solar Cellson February 27, 2021 at 4:15 pm
Reducing internal losses could pave the way to low-cost perovskite-based photovoltaics that match silicon cells’ output. Perovskites are a leading candidate for eventually replacing silicon as the ...
- Luminescent Solar Waveguide Windows Generate Energy From Inside and Outon February 25, 2021 at 4:32 pm
Rice engineers develop polymer cores that redirect light from any source to solar cells. Rice University engineers have suggested a colorful solution to next-generation energy collection: Luminescent ...
- Mini perovskite solar module with 18% efficiency from CEA-INESon February 25, 2021 at 3:26 am
The mini panel has a surface of 10 cm². It was built with a manufacturing technique that is claimed to be compatible with the integration of perovskite into heterojunction silicon solar cells in ...
- Dominion proposing new solar energy feeson February 24, 2021 at 10:12 am
Dominion Energy says they are discussing an energy metering program that would would potentially make solar energy customer-generators pay more on their bills than before. Dominion says the goal of ...
- Researchers improve efficiency of next-generation solar cell materialon February 24, 2021 at 8:12 am
MIT researchers have devised a design for perovskite solar cells that pushes the material to match or exceed the efficiency of today’s typical silicon cell.
- CNN exclusive: A solar panel in space is collecting energy that could one day be beamed to anywhere on Earthon February 23, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Scientists working for the Pentagon have successfully tested a solar panel the size of a pizza box in space, designed as a prototype for a future system to send electricity from space back to any ...
- How Vermont’s Energy Efficiency Utility Is Helping Businesses Sweat the Small Stuffon February 23, 2021 at 5:17 am
The first "energy-efficiency utility" in America has, among other programs, incentives for businesses to save big on energy costs.
- The perfect recipe for efficient perovskite solar cellson February 22, 2021 at 3:59 pm
A long-cherished dream of materials researchers is a solar cell that converts sunlight into electrical energy as efficiently as silicon, but that can be easily and inexpensively fabricated from ...
- Decades of electricity disasters should prompt Texas to finally embrace energy efficiencyon February 21, 2021 at 11:30 pm
Like millions of other Texans, my family spent three days last week huddled in the cold as blackouts cut our power and heat. My wife, two young ...
- Perovskite solar cell with 21% efficiency includes tech to prevent lead leakson February 19, 2021 at 12:09 am
U.K. scientists have used mesoporous scaffolds based on hydroxyapatite nanoparticles – blended with titanium oxide nanoparticles – to create a mechanism that prevents lead leakage in perovskite solar ...
via Bing News