UNSW‘s solar researchers have converted over 40% of the sunlight hitting a solar system into electricity, the highest efficiency ever reported.
The world-beating efficiency was achieved in outdoor tests in Sydney, before being independently confirmed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) at their outdoor test facility in the United States.
The work was funded by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) and supported by the Australia–US Institute for Advanced Photovoltaics (AUSIAPV)
“This is the highest efficiency ever reported for sunlight conversion into electricity,” UNSW Scientia Professor and Director of the Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics (ACAP) Professor Martin Green said.
“We used commercial solar cells, but in a new way, so these efficiency improvements are readily accessible to the solar industry,” added Dr Mark Keevers, the UNSW solar scientist who managed the project.
The 40% efficiency milestone is the latest in a long line of achievements by UNSW solar researchers spanning four decades. These include the first photovoltaic system to convert sunlight to electricity with over 20% efficiency in 1989, with the new result doubling this performance.
“The new results are based on the use of focused sunlight, and are particularly relevant to photovoltaic power towers being developed in Australia,” Professor Green said.
The Latest on: Solar energy efficiency
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar energy efficiency
- Towards more efficient, non-toxic, and flexible thin-film solar cellson May 13, 2022 at 9:50 am
It is imperative to adopt clean sources of energy, and solar cells are a popular candidate on this front. While efficiency is a primary concern for solar cells, researchers have also focused on ...
- This solar generator might save you on inflated energy costson May 13, 2022 at 8:09 am
Inflation has driven costs so high that even Amazon placed a fuel surcharge on sellers. If the world’s largest company isn’t immune to rising prices, the average consumer isnt ...
- Your Ultimate Guide To Solar Panel Pricing And Incentives In North Carolinaon May 13, 2022 at 7:00 am
Get expert advice on improvements to your home, including design tips, how much you'd expect to pay for a pro and what to ask when hiring experts.
- Flower power: ‘Sunflower’ system churns out useful energyon May 13, 2022 at 5:57 am
A prototype device dubbed the Sunflower system has pushed the bounds of high-efficiency solar-energy set-ups by converting more than 65% of the Sun’s energy it receives into electricity or heat 1. The ...
- Clean Energy Solutions’ Unique Selling Proposition Results in the Company’s Remarkable 12,000 Percent Growthon May 13, 2022 at 4:40 am
May 13, 2022) – Clean Energy Solutions, a solar energy company based out in California, has managed to grow itself by 12,000 percent since its inception in 2014. A remarkable feat mainly attributed to ...
- GM Has Become an ‘Energy Star’ with Efficiency and Circular Programson May 13, 2022 at 4:16 am
GM committed to a 20% reduction in carbon intensity by 2020. It achieved that goal in 2017. And in January 2021, it said it would source 100% renewable energy to power GM facilities in the U.S. by ...
- Australian researchers bag funding to investigate reusing unwanted solar panelson May 13, 2022 at 3:52 am
Funding has been awarded to a project in Australia that will explore the potential revenue streams and consumer interest in used PV panels.
- A breakthrough method uses solar energy to produce green hydrogen from wateron May 13, 2022 at 1:28 am
Scientists have proposed a solar energy-driven photocatalytic method to split water. This method uses iridium as a metal catalyst and is believed to be capable of producing green and clean hydrogen ...
- Sun City solar power: What you need to know about converting all that sunshine into electricityon May 12, 2022 at 2:16 pm
Silerio said making your home as energy efficient as possible before installing solar will help you save more money. "If you can make a tight airship with your home, you might have reduced your solar ...
- MIT's 'Sun-in-a-Box' Uses Light as an Efficient Form of Energyon May 12, 2022 at 12:05 pm
Felice Frankel Researchers at MIT have built a highly efficient thermophotovoltaic cell that, when paired with renewable resources, efficiently converts incoming photons—particles of light—to ...
via Bing News