The state of California is leading the way in the use and development of energy storage, a relatively new technology that the Department of Energy (DOE) is calling a potential “major breakthrough” within the energy sector.
Recently, California-based electrical supply company Southern California Edison decided to retire its San Onofre nuclear reactors (pictured) and also plan to retire its natural gas units. The company says the natural gas units have had trouble being “environmentally friendly” in their cooling process. Their solution? Invite proposals for energy storage, including conventional batteries and giant ice packs and new gas-fired power plants. In an unusual competition held in California, proposals for energy storage systems beat out hundreds of bids to construct new power plants as a way to meet peak power needs. Southern California Edison, the largest subsidiary of Edison International, is the primary electricity supply company for much of Southern California. The company provides 14 million people with electricity across approximately 50,000 square miles.
The beauty of energy storage is that its goal is to manage the amount of power required to supply customers at times when need is greatest. In some cases, power plants are needed only a few hundred hours the entire year, usually during peak-production times. With energy storage, companies like Southern California Edison are able to drastically cut electricity costs by producing it when it is needed most and producing less energy when it’s needed less. Currently, the Department of Energy is looking into ways to reduce the cost of energy storage technology and power electronics to gain and accelerate acceptance into the energy market.
The DOE is researching and developing energy storage technology in a number of areas that differ in power and energy requirements. The energy storage technology platform includes batteries (both conventional and advanced), flywheels, electrochemical capacitors, superconducting magnetic energy storage (SMES), power electronics, and control systems. What are some of these platforms?
- Flywheels – A rotating mechanical device that is used to store rotational energy. Flywheels have a significant moment of inertia and thus resist changes in rotational speed. Energy is transferred to a flywheel by applying torque to it, thereby increasing its rotational speed, and hence its stored energy.
- Electrochemical capacitors – Consists of two electrodes, a separator, electrolyte, two current collectors, and packaging. Within the electrochemical capacitor, charge is stored electrostatically, not chemically as in a battery.
- Power Electronics – Enables utilities to deliver power to their customers effectively while providing increased reliability, security, and flexibility to the electric power system. Power electronics will play a key role in transforming the current electric grid into the next-generation grid.
The application of these electronic storage devices will also help in making renewable energy, whose power output cannot be controlled by grid operators, smooth and dispatchable. The devices can also balance microgrids to achieve a good match between generation and load. One company is already ahead of the curve when it comes to developing energy storage technology.
The Latest on: Energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy storage
- Renewables and natural gas are part of the solution to climate change and energy povertyon February 25, 2021 at 11:37 am
OUTSIDE THE BOX No country was spared by the global pandemic that exposed startling shortcomings within our deeply interconnected world. Like the virus, carbon emissions don’t come with ...
- Buy Star Peak Energy on Any Pullback Ahead of Its Stem Dealon February 25, 2021 at 11:19 am
InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading Tips With investors excited about its pending merger with Stem, Star Peak Energy ...
- Advanced Energy Storage Market Is Booming Worldwide with Active Power, Inc., Aes Energy Storageon February 25, 2021 at 8:50 am
Keep yourself up-to-date with latest market trends and changing dynamics due to COVID Impact and Economic Slowdown globally. Maintain a competitive edge by sizing up with available business ...
- Renewable energy listed for first time as one of Australia's top infrastructure prioritieson February 25, 2021 at 8:38 am
Australia should prioritise large-scale renewable energy options to replace ageing thermal generators, infrastructure body says ...
- Alfa Laval is part of the next phase of development for a sustainable energy storage solutionon February 25, 2021 at 7:17 am
Alfa Laval - a world leader in heat transfer, centrifugal separation and fluid handling - is part owner in the technology company Malta Inc. which is developing a completely new energy storage ...
- Advanced Battery Energy Storage System Market Future Scope, Opportunities with Strategic Growth and Top Playerson February 25, 2021 at 5:13 am
"Global Advanced Battery Energy Storage System Market is valued at approximately USD 151.96 billion in 2019 and is anticipated to grow with a healthy growth rate of more than 4.8% over the forecast ...
- Global advanced battery energy storage system market size to accumulate USD 221.12 billion by 2027on February 25, 2021 at 2:07 am
Global advanced battery energy storage system market size to accumulate USD 221.12 billion by 2027Selbyville, Delaware, Feb. 25, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Seasoned analysts claim that global advanced ...
- Advanced Battery Energy Storage System Market 2020-2027: Growth Forecast & Industry Share Reporton February 24, 2021 at 11:16 pm
MarketStudyReport.com adds a new market research report titled Global Advanced Battery Energy Storage System Market Size study, by Technology (Solid State Batteries, Flow Battery, Thermal Energy ...
- Xcel Energy reveals $8 billion power plan in Colorado anchored by renewable energyon February 24, 2021 at 1:35 pm
The plan, being submitted Colorado's PUC next month, would exceed the utility's carbon-free power goal but keep natural gas around for decades for peak demand.
- Malta’s energy storage tech to stabilize electricity grids reliant on renewables gets $50 millionon February 24, 2021 at 6:07 am
As energy grids transition away from fossil fuels and toward the use of zero emission sources of power from primarily renewable energy sources, they’re going to need an ability to store and then use ...
via Bing News