The state of California is leading the way in the use and development of energy storage, a relatively new technology that the Department of Energy (DOE) is calling a potential “major breakthrough” within the energy sector.
Recently, California-based electrical supply company Southern California Edison decided to retire its San Onofre nuclear reactors (pictured) and also plan to retire its natural gas units. The company says the natural gas units have had trouble being “environmentally friendly” in their cooling process. Their solution? Invite proposals for energy storage, including conventional batteries and giant ice packs and new gas-fired power plants. In an unusual competition held in California, proposals for energy storage systems beat out hundreds of bids to construct new power plants as a way to meet peak power needs. Southern California Edison, the largest subsidiary of Edison International, is the primary electricity supply company for much of Southern California. The company provides 14 million people with electricity across approximately 50,000 square miles.
The beauty of energy storage is that its goal is to manage the amount of power required to supply customers at times when need is greatest. In some cases, power plants are needed only a few hundred hours the entire year, usually during peak-production times. With energy storage, companies like Southern California Edison are able to drastically cut electricity costs by producing it when it is needed most and producing less energy when it’s needed less. Currently, the Department of Energy is looking into ways to reduce the cost of energy storage technology and power electronics to gain and accelerate acceptance into the energy market.
The DOE is researching and developing energy storage technology in a number of areas that differ in power and energy requirements. The energy storage technology platform includes batteries (both conventional and advanced), flywheels, electrochemical capacitors, superconducting magnetic energy storage (SMES), power electronics, and control systems. What are some of these platforms?
- Flywheels – A rotating mechanical device that is used to store rotational energy. Flywheels have a significant moment of inertia and thus resist changes in rotational speed. Energy is transferred to a flywheel by applying torque to it, thereby increasing its rotational speed, and hence its stored energy.
- Electrochemical capacitors – Consists of two electrodes, a separator, electrolyte, two current collectors, and packaging. Within the electrochemical capacitor, charge is stored electrostatically, not chemically as in a battery.
- Power Electronics – Enables utilities to deliver power to their customers effectively while providing increased reliability, security, and flexibility to the electric power system. Power electronics will play a key role in transforming the current electric grid into the next-generation grid.
The application of these electronic storage devices will also help in making renewable energy, whose power output cannot be controlled by grid operators, smooth and dispatchable. The devices can also balance microgrids to achieve a good match between generation and load. One company is already ahead of the curve when it comes to developing energy storage technology.
The Latest on: Energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy storage
- Hawaii PUC approves HECO Kapolei Energy Storage projecton April 30, 2021 at 7:15 pm
The PUC wrote in its decision — which included conditions — that it is approving the project so that the “lights will stay on” after the AES plant and other fossil-fuel plants are retired in the next ...
- Shorter heels are linked with greater elastic energy storage in the Achilles tendonon April 30, 2021 at 10:40 am
(i.e., Achilles tendon), is positively correlated with the energetic cost of running. This relationship is derived from a model which predicts that shorter ankle moment arms place larger loads on the ...
- Compressed-air energy storage project proposed in eastern Kernon April 29, 2021 at 6:30 pm
California's ambitious climate goals have attracted interest from an international business partnership looking to build a groundbreaking, 500-megawatt compressed-air energy storage project in the ...
- Solar energy firm turns to plastics for safe energy storageon April 29, 2021 at 11:28 am
As the popularity of solar energy continues to grow, one of the challenges that remains to be overcome is its relative lack of flexibility. The issue has to do with storage. Significant amounts of ...
- Puget Sound Energy Partners with Mitsubishi Power to Develop Renewable Energy Storage Solutionson April 29, 2021 at 9:35 am
Puget Sound Energy and Mitsubishi Power are collaborating on solutions to help enable large scale carbon-free renewable generation and storage.
- Lack of policy hampers energy storage in Cypruson April 29, 2021 at 7:55 am
Although the government last month started offering purchase incentives for residential batteries, a net metering regime which is in place for solar households means there is little to prompt PV ...
- Energy Storage Technologies (EST) Market Report 2021-2031on April 29, 2021 at 5:57 am
Flywheels, Thermal, Compressed Air, Liquid Air, Hydrogen Fuel Cells, Others), by Application (Grid Storage, Transportation) AND Regional and Leading National Market Analysis PLUS Analysis of Leading ...
- FlexGen releases project feasibility reporting app for energy storage developerson April 29, 2021 at 4:56 am
Energy storage integrator FlexGen has announced a new service product for developers, independent power producers (IPPs) and asset owners: FlexGen ...
- Tesla touts the market strength of its Powerwall energy storage producton April 27, 2021 at 10:53 pm
In an earnings call, the company said that storage deployments grew 71% YoY and solar installations were its strongest in 2.5 years.
- Offshore Energy Storage Market Size Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2025on April 27, 2021 at 11:45 am
Global Offshore Energy Storage Market Report added at Market Study Report LLC offers industry size, share, growth, trends and forecast analysis up to 2025. Offshore Energy Storage Market Report also ...
via Bing News