Scientists from Queen Mary University of London have found text messaging prevents one in six patients from forgetting to take, or stopping, their prescribed medicines.
The randomised trial, published today in the journal PLOS ONE, tested whether text messaging improved the use of blood pressure and cholesterol lowering medication for the prevention of heart attacks and stroke – the most common causes of death worldwide.
Around a third of people do not take their treatment as prescribed, greatly reducing potential benefits and costing the NHS over £500m in wasted medicines and treating avoidable illness. Some patients forget to take their tablets and others stop because of uncertainty over the benefits or harms of treatment.
The INTERACT trial involved 303 patients who had been prescribed blood pressure and/or cholesterol lowering medication. Patients were divided randomly into two groups; a ‘text message’ group who received periodic text messages and a ‘no text’ group who received no text messages.
The ‘text message’ group received texts every day for two weeks, alternate days for two weeks and then weekly for 6 months, asking if they had taken their medication that day. Patients who had not, or did not reply, were telephoned and offered help.
In the ‘no text’ group, 25% of patients stopped their medication completely or took less than four fifths of their prescribed treatment, compared with only 9% in the ‘text message’ group.
The Latest on: Text messaging reminders
via Google News
The Latest on: Text messaging reminders
- Traffic ticket? Get reminder notifications for court appearances in Lancaster Countyon August 4, 2022 at 9:34 am
People with a traffic or criminal citations can now get reminder notifications for upcoming court appearances.
- Google Messages: 16 quick and easy tips for RCS and Chaton August 4, 2022 at 3:24 am
Google Messages' RCS integration makes iMessage envy a thing of the past. Here's some tips to set up Google Messages with Chat and RCS.
- Free Court Date Notification Tool Announced in Los Angeleson August 3, 2022 at 2:00 am
A new program that will provide those in Los Angeles accused of a crime with a free court date notification to remind them when they need to be in court has been an ...
- CDPHE to send kids’ immunization reminder texts and emailson August 2, 2022 at 9:09 pm
If you receive a text message reminder from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) about your child’s immunizations, you may need to check up on ...
- Emitrr raises $4 million to expand its automation offering for local businesseson August 2, 2022 at 10:14 am
Emitrr plans to deepen the platform to expand its range of automation and solve problems for small businesses, and to double down on its go-to-market motion.
- Here's how to scan documents and text to your Apple deviceson August 2, 2022 at 3:01 am
Use the notes app function "Scan Documents" and "Scan Text" to save your physical work to your iPhone devices. You can also save these scans as PDFs.
- Infobip Adds WhatsApp & SMS to Microsoft Dynamics 365on July 29, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Cloud communications platform provider Infobip has now added its WhatsApp and SMS channels to Microsoft offerings so businesses can more easily connect and communicate with customers via the channels ...
- How to Create Events and Reminders from Messages on iPhoneon July 28, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Apple is introducing quite a few new features and changes to the iPhone with iOS 16. Some of these are obvious, such as the redesigned Lock Screen, and ...
- City of Toronto warns of text message scam asking people to pay speeding fineson July 27, 2022 at 6:57 am
The City of Toronto is warning of scam text messages that are being sent out asking individuals to settle speeding fines. The City posted a warning on its Facebook page Tuesday, advising the public of ...
- Iolans can pay utility bills by texton July 26, 2022 at 6:45 pm
Iolans have another way to pay their utility bills, City Clerk Roxanne Hutton noted Monday. Customers can manage their utility account and pay through the city’s text messaging service. The service is ...
via Bing News