Future fitness trackers could soon add blood-oxygen levels to the list of vital signs measured with new technology developed by engineers at UC Berkeley
“There are various pulse oximeters already on the market that measure pulse rate and blood-oxygen saturation levels, but those devices use rigid conventional electronics, and they are usually fixed to the fingers or earlobe,” said Ana Arias, an associate professor of electrical engineering and computer sciences and head of the UC Berkeley team that is developing a new organic optoelectronic sensor.
By switching from silicon to an organic, or carbon-based, design, the researchers were able to create a device that could ultimately be thin, cheap and flexible enough to be slapped on like a Band-Aid during that jog around the track or hike up the hill.
The engineers put the new prototype up against a conventional pulse oximeter and found that the pulse and oxygen readings were just as accurate.
The research team reported its findings today (Wednesday, Dec. 10) in the journal Nature Communications.
Giving silicon a run for its money
The Latest on: Organic electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Organic electronics
- Isorg fingerprint biometrics module based on organic photodetectors PIV-certified by FBIon March 8, 2021 at 1:30 pm
The Isorg FAP10 optical fingerprint biometric module is made with organic photodetectors and certified by the FBI in a new organic photodiode sensor category.
- Isorg Obtains FBI Certification for Security Market’s First Organic Photodiode-based Module for Fingerprint Scannerson March 7, 2021 at 5:15 pm
Isorg obtains FBI certification for security market’s first organic photodiode-based module for fingerprint scanners.
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Isorg Obtains FBI Certification for Security Market's First Organic Photodiode-based Module for Fingerprint Scannerson March 4, 2021 at 3:00 pm
US approval of FAP 10 module, first in a new category of optical sensors, is approbation that global biometrics market is ready for organic electronics in security applications Please replace the ...
- Organic Electronic Market size is projected to reach $159.11 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 21.0% from 2020 to 2027on March 3, 2021 at 4:04 am
According to a recent report published by Report Ocean titled Organic Electronic Market by Material and Application Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast 2020 2027 the global organic electronic ...
- Molecular bridges power up printed electronicson February 25, 2021 at 9:32 am
The exfoliation of graphite into graphene layers inspired the investigation of thousands of layered materials: amongst them transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs). These semiconductors can be used to ...
- Organic Printed Electronics for the 21st Century!on February 18, 2021 at 4:44 am
InnovationLab is a one-stop-shop for everything to do with organic printed electronics: they develop and commercialize functional print products; they provide R&D, pilot production, and mass ...
- Biosensors monitor plant well-being in real timeon February 13, 2021 at 10:23 am
This is why it is important to understand how plants react to changes in the environment and how they adapt," says Eleni Stavrinidou, associate professor in the Laboratory of Organic Electronics ...
- Molecules bend for organic electronicson February 4, 2021 at 7:46 am
These materials have intriguing electronic properties, and the research provides guidance for the design of new organic electronic materials.
- Organic Electronics Market Dynamics and Competitive Scenarioon February 4, 2021 at 4:42 am
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Japan, Japan, Thu, 04 Feb 2021 04:28:44 / Comserve Inc. / -- Organic Electronics Market : Global Industry Insights ...
- Organic Electronics Market Latest In-Depth Report Segment by Manufacturers, Type, Applications and Dynamics and Forecast 2020 to 2027on February 2, 2021 at 5:29 am
Feb 02, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- Canada – The global Organic Electronics market size is projected to hit USD 160.37 billion by 2027 and expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate ...
via Bing News