DRUGS that banish wrinkles and put a spring in the step could also be the key to beating ageing
Scientists have discovered that the genes linked to youthful looks and supple limbs also appear to affect how long we live.
The breakthrough finding could lead to “elixir of life” anti-ageing drugs that would slow down or even put off the development of chronic age-related diseases.
It could even lead to a new generation of cosmetics which help hold back the ageing process and boost overall health.
Researchers found the life-extending secret is all thanks to an increase in the activity of genes that produce both collagen – which is vital to young-looking skin – and other proteins found in the body’s “extra-cellular matrix” (ECM).
This is the framework of scaffolding that supports tissues, organs and bones.
The study focused on strategies known to boost the lifespan of the tiny laboratory worm called C.elegans – or Caenorhabditis elegans – including calorie restriction and use of the drug rapamycin.
Professor Keith Blackwell, from the Joslin (CORR) Diabetes Centre which is part of Harvard Medical School in the US, said: “Any longevity intervention that we looked at, whether genetic or nutritional or drugs, increased the expression (activity) of collagen and other ECM genes, and enhanced ECM remodelling.
“If you interfere with this expression, you interfere with the lifespan extension. And if you over-express some of these genes, the worm actually lives a little bit longer.”
The Latest on: Longevity
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Longevity” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Longevity
- WA – Australian refinement, longevity and good wine cannedon November 28, 2022 at 12:47 am
The whole of Western Australia (see this map), or WA as Aussies call it, produces just 5% of the country’s wine output – ...
- LeBron James Gives A Lesson In Longevityon November 27, 2022 at 5:05 am
LeBron James is proving he is a timeless classic this season. He proved it with his performance Saturday against the San Antonio Spurs. James finished with 39 points on 11 of 21 shooting, including ...
- How Darren Aronofsky's oddest sci-fi movie inspired a real quest for longevityon November 26, 2022 at 5:30 am
Chris Hemsworth realized he might have made a mistake when he fully submerged in Arctic waters.“It's one thing to be swimming in an ice bath with your head out of the water, but once I put my head in ...
- On Chris Hemsworth’s 250-Yard Arctic Swim: Can Extreme Feats Really Boost Longevity?on November 23, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Experts weigh in on whether the frigid plunge and 5 other extreme stunts the Thor actor attempted are good for our mental and physical health.
- PartnerRe & Zurich in £1bn longevity swap for Fortune 500 pension schemeon November 22, 2022 at 4:30 am
Bermuda-based reinsurance firm PartnerRe and Zurich, the global insurance carrier, have backed a £1 billion longevity swap transaction for a UK pension ...
- Having a sense of purpose may help you live longer, research showson November 21, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Share on Pinterest A new study shows that living with purpose is linked to longevity among older adults across race, ethnicity, and gender. Ezequiel Giménez/Stocksy A sense of purpose can drive ...
- The intersection between performance and longevityon November 21, 2022 at 6:34 am
With consumers staying more active and living longer than ever before, Balchem has identified a marketplace whitespace at the intersection of performance and longevity.
- What Underpins Exceptional Longevity?on November 18, 2022 at 6:24 am
Decades of research will be aided by the results of a study launched today – the most ambitious ever conducted to uncover and understand the genetic and biological mysteries of exceptional longevity ...
- This May Be Our Best Chance to Find the Secret to Longevityon November 17, 2022 at 6:30 pm
Once completed, it would mark the largest longevity studies ever. The hope is that the genetic data from the super agers—a term typically used to describe anyone 80 years old or older who still ...
- This May Be Our Best Chance to Find the Secret to Longevityon November 17, 2022 at 2:27 pm
LUCY LAMBRIEX via GettyFrom legends about fountains of youth, to alchemists attempting to create elixirs of life, to Jeff Bezos paying gobs of money to stop aging, humans have always kind of been ...
via Bing News