DRUGS that banish wrinkles and put a spring in the step could also be the key to beating ageing
Scientists have discovered that the genes linked to youthful looks and supple limbs also appear to affect how long we live.
The breakthrough finding could lead to “elixir of life” anti-ageing drugs that would slow down or even put off the development of chronic age-related diseases.
It could even lead to a new generation of cosmetics which help hold back the ageing process and boost overall health.
Researchers found the life-extending secret is all thanks to an increase in the activity of genes that produce both collagen – which is vital to young-looking skin – and other proteins found in the body’s “extra-cellular matrix” (ECM).
This is the framework of scaffolding that supports tissues, organs and bones.
The study focused on strategies known to boost the lifespan of the tiny laboratory worm called C.elegans – or Caenorhabditis elegans – including calorie restriction and use of the drug rapamycin.
Professor Keith Blackwell, from the Joslin (CORR) Diabetes Centre which is part of Harvard Medical School in the US, said: “Any longevity intervention that we looked at, whether genetic or nutritional or drugs, increased the expression (activity) of collagen and other ECM genes, and enhanced ECM remodelling.
“If you interfere with this expression, you interfere with the lifespan extension. And if you over-express some of these genes, the worm actually lives a little bit longer.”
The Latest on: Longevity
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Longevity” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Longevity
- People who live to 100 don't eat like typical Americans: Here are 'the 5 pillars of a longevity diet'on December 6, 2022 at 12:22 pm
Diet is an important factor when it comes to living a longer life. Here are the five core foods that the healthiest communities eat often.
- How to increase longevity and improve health in just two minutes a dayon December 6, 2022 at 1:00 am
A new study, however, finds you might need just two minutes a day to achieve those goals. “We found as little as 15 minutes of vigorous physical activity per week can lower all-cause mortality and ...
- Longevity Biotech Market 2023 Predictable to Witness Sustainable Evolution Over 2026on December 5, 2022 at 8:53 pm
Pre and Post Covid Report is Covered | Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of Russia-Ukraine War and ...
- Simple eating tweaks promise maximum longevity — but do they work?on December 5, 2022 at 12:00 pm
French biochemist Jesse Inchauspé’s latest book, ‘Glucose Revolution’ looks at the damaging effects of high blood sugar and offers ten simple food and lifestyle hacks that promise to lower high blood ...
- Another wrinkle to Tom Brady's longevity arises with Jimmy Garoppolo-Brock Purdy situationon December 5, 2022 at 8:04 am
There are still moments where the insanity of Brady's longevity in the NFL hits you like a ton of bricks. And the Week 14 schedule will be the latest such case.
- 5 tips for living longer from TikTok longevity influencerson December 3, 2022 at 8:56 pm
Offering diet, exercise and lifestyle advice, these online longevity influencers have got tons of tips that can, they say, increase your life span. So what might you want to do to slow the ageing ...
- Longevity and Anti-senescence Therapy Market 2023 Expected to Reach Significant Rate by 2028on December 1, 2022 at 9:38 pm
Longevity and Anti-senescence Therapy Market Report offers an Complete view about Longevity and Anti-senescence ...
- 5 tips for living longer from TikTok longevity influencerson December 1, 2022 at 12:00 am
There’s a new wave of health-focused content flooding TikTok from influencers who want to. Offering diet, exercise and lifestyle advice, these online longevity influencers have got tons of tips that ...
- Newly Discovered Cluster of Genes Increases Longevityon November 30, 2022 at 6:07 pm
The NIA Interventions Testing Program, which included UT Health San Antonio, worked with counterparts in Switzerland and Tennessee. The Interventions Testing Program, which is funded by the National ...
- What’s this ‘longevity’ diet, and will it really make you live longer?on November 29, 2022 at 10:13 am
You may have heard about the longevity diet, and its promise of an extended life span – but what exactly is it and is it any different to other diets promoting good health? The longevity diet is ...
via Bing News