DRUGS that banish wrinkles and put a spring in the step could also be the key to beating ageing
Scientists have discovered that the genes linked to youthful looks and supple limbs also appear to affect how long we live.
The breakthrough finding could lead to “elixir of life” anti-ageing drugs that would slow down or even put off the development of chronic age-related diseases.
It could even lead to a new generation of cosmetics which help hold back the ageing process and boost overall health.
Researchers found the life-extending secret is all thanks to an increase in the activity of genes that produce both collagen – which is vital to young-looking skin – and other proteins found in the body’s “extra-cellular matrix” (ECM).
This is the framework of scaffolding that supports tissues, organs and bones.
The study focused on strategies known to boost the lifespan of the tiny laboratory worm called C.elegans – or Caenorhabditis elegans – including calorie restriction and use of the drug rapamycin.
Professor Keith Blackwell, from the Joslin (CORR) Diabetes Centre which is part of Harvard Medical School in the US, said: “Any longevity intervention that we looked at, whether genetic or nutritional or drugs, increased the expression (activity) of collagen and other ECM genes, and enhanced ECM remodelling.
“If you interfere with this expression, you interfere with the lifespan extension. And if you over-express some of these genes, the worm actually lives a little bit longer.”
The Latest on: Longevity
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Longevity” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Longevity
- Scrum Studio and Hakuhodo Launch AgeTechX to Redefine the Future of Health and Longevityon December 1, 2023 at 12:00 am
Applications Open for Scrum Studio's Seventh Open Innovation Program Offering Co-Development & Investment Opportunities for AgeTech Startups SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 1, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Scrum Studio ...
- Map reveals where Britons are most likely to thrive with leafy Surrey town crowned 'longevity capital of the UK' - how does YOUR hometown rank?on November 30, 2023 at 11:09 pm
EXCLUSIVE: The Forbes Advisor British Longevity Index has pored over official statistics to calculate what it calls 'longevity' - a measure of people living not just longer, but in good health.
- Protecting your vehicles longevity against road salton November 30, 2023 at 6:54 pm
The EPA estimates that road salt causes $5 billion in damages yearly to vehicles and roadways. A long-side plowing salt brine, rock salt, sand, and even gravel can be used to keep roads clear.
- The longevity diet: Easy, science-backed ways to eat (and drink) for a long, healthy lifeon November 30, 2023 at 11:46 am
Longevity and diet are closely related. Here's a list of foods that are cheap, nutritious, and easy to cook. Plus two other tips to live longer.
- Longevity killed the R-staron November 30, 2023 at 1:48 am
There may be short-term factors that might be lifting it somewhat at the moment, but the big drivers — older, less productive work forces — are not changing, and therefore the long-term trend of ...
- Longevity a financial riskon November 29, 2023 at 3:59 pm
Planning your finances for later years often focuses on reaching retirement: work hard for decades for your golden years. Most attention is on earning an income and paying the bills. Managing ongoing ...
- Liquid Love Letter: Longevityon November 29, 2023 at 9:43 am
Even ten years ago the winemakers of Cahors were starting to adjust to the times, and respond to consumer palates that wanted wines that were both ready to drink sooner, and noticeably gentler on ...
- Longevity drugs for dogs moving closer to realityon November 29, 2023 at 5:32 am
Pure Paws Veterinary Care in Hudson Square co-owner Dr. Nuala McDermott on the pros and cons of a drug that could help dogs live longer ...
- 6 longevity tips Charlie Munger believed in for a long and happy lifeon November 28, 2023 at 4:51 pm
Charlie Munger was known for his pragmatic life advice. Here are 6 of his tips for living a long, healthy life.
- From peptide treatments to luxury longevity clinics here are the biggest anti-aging trends sweeping the nationon November 27, 2023 at 1:13 pm
Can you stop aging? It's unlikely, but people are trying to at least slow down the clock by fasting, taking hormones, and jumping into ice-cold baths.
via Bing News