DRUGS that banish wrinkles and put a spring in the step could also be the key to beating ageing
Scientists have discovered that the genes linked to youthful looks and supple limbs also appear to affect how long we live.
The breakthrough finding could lead to “elixir of life” anti-ageing drugs that would slow down or even put off the development of chronic age-related diseases.
It could even lead to a new generation of cosmetics which help hold back the ageing process and boost overall health.
Researchers found the life-extending secret is all thanks to an increase in the activity of genes that produce both collagen – which is vital to young-looking skin – and other proteins found in the body’s “extra-cellular matrix” (ECM).
This is the framework of scaffolding that supports tissues, organs and bones.
The study focused on strategies known to boost the lifespan of the tiny laboratory worm called C.elegans – or Caenorhabditis elegans – including calorie restriction and use of the drug rapamycin.
Professor Keith Blackwell, from the Joslin (CORR) Diabetes Centre which is part of Harvard Medical School in the US, said: “Any longevity intervention that we looked at, whether genetic or nutritional or drugs, increased the expression (activity) of collagen and other ECM genes, and enhanced ECM remodelling.
“If you interfere with this expression, you interfere with the lifespan extension. And if you over-express some of these genes, the worm actually lives a little bit longer.”
The Latest on: Longevity
via Google News
The Latest on: Longevity
- Gordon Lightfoot Shows No Signs of Slowing Down at 82—“I Was Into It For The Longevity”on April 22, 2021 at 6:40 am
I’m 82 years of age now. That feels very important to me. If health permits, I’m happy just to be able to continue to perform in one way or another,” says folk-rock legend Gordon Lightfoot, calling ...
- Dr. Robert W. Sheffield MD Plastic Surgery Discusses The Ways To Increase The Longevity of The Results From a Facelift Procedureon April 22, 2021 at 6:05 am
Dr. Sheffield, a lifetime member The American Board of Plastic Surgery® (ABPS®), is the preeminent facial plastic surgeon Santa Barbara and he and his ...
- Endurance Legends Shalane Flanagan, Dean Karnazes, Rebecca Rusch Talk Longevity, Performance in Live Panel Discussion Presented by InsideTrackeron April 22, 2021 at 5:51 am
InsideTracker, the leading ultra-personalized performance system, is proud to present four-time Olympian and New York City Marathon ...
- Experts to present latest research on aging and longevity at the 8th Aging Research & Drug Discovery Meetingon April 21, 2021 at 10:22 pm
Scheibye-Knudsen Lab, University of Copenhagen and Deep Longevity are excited to reveal the speakers for the 8th Aging Research & Drug Discovery Meeting, the largest scientific academic, and industry ...
- Over 70 leaders in aging and longevity to present their latest research at the 8th ARDDon April 20, 2021 at 9:00 pm
Wednesday, 2021, the Scheibye-Knudsen Lab, University of Copenhagen and Deep Longevity are excited to reveal the speakers for the 8th Aging Research & Drug Discovery Meeting, the largest scientific ...
- 7 'ageless' habits a longevity expert follows to slow agingon April 20, 2021 at 6:01 am
Society should “unashamedly aim to cure aging” with treatments that could slow down the accumulation of mutations in our DNA or problems that happen with our mitochondria, the London-based scientist ...
- Can fingerprick blood tests help evaluate antibody response and longevity against SARS-CoV-2 post-vaccination?on April 20, 2021 at 5:36 am
To monitor antibody level duration of vaccine-induced immune responses, a team of researchers in the U.S. – at Diacarta, University of California and VA Healthcare System, and the Franciscan ...
- How Patrick Marleau broke Gordie Howe's record for NHL longevityon April 19, 2021 at 7:11 pm
The veteran Sharks forward broke the NHL games played record set by the legend. Here are the keys to his remarkable career.
- Morris Brown's reaccreditation could signal more longevity among HBCUson April 18, 2021 at 2:22 am
It is no secret that at some point, something went very wrong at Morris Brown College. It was a disappointing, though not unfamiliar story. A school with a dedicated faculty and loyal students had run ...
- John Stamos' secret to longevity is to "stop trying to charm the world"on April 16, 2021 at 3:20 pm
The veteran TV actor appeared on "Salon Talks" to discuss his screen evolution and new basketball series "Big Shot" ...
via Bing News