DRUGS that banish wrinkles and put a spring in the step could also be the key to beating ageing
Scientists have discovered that the genes linked to youthful looks and supple limbs also appear to affect how long we live.
The breakthrough finding could lead to “elixir of life” anti-ageing drugs that would slow down or even put off the development of chronic age-related diseases.
It could even lead to a new generation of cosmetics which help hold back the ageing process and boost overall health.
Researchers found the life-extending secret is all thanks to an increase in the activity of genes that produce both collagen – which is vital to young-looking skin – and other proteins found in the body’s “extra-cellular matrix” (ECM).
This is the framework of scaffolding that supports tissues, organs and bones.
The study focused on strategies known to boost the lifespan of the tiny laboratory worm called C.elegans – or Caenorhabditis elegans – including calorie restriction and use of the drug rapamycin.
Professor Keith Blackwell, from the Joslin (CORR) Diabetes Centre which is part of Harvard Medical School in the US, said: “Any longevity intervention that we looked at, whether genetic or nutritional or drugs, increased the expression (activity) of collagen and other ECM genes, and enhanced ECM remodelling.
“If you interfere with this expression, you interfere with the lifespan extension. And if you over-express some of these genes, the worm actually lives a little bit longer.”
The Latest on: Longevity
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Longevity” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Longevity
- This Is the Best Drink for Longevity, According to a Top Functional Medicine Doctoron February 3, 2023 at 9:54 am
If one of your health goals is to live a long, healthy life—and whose isn't?—your kitchen may already be stocked with longevity-boosting foods. Frozen blueberries in the freezer, beans in the pantry, ...
- Suns Guard Chris Paul Praises LeBron James' Longevity Ahead of Scoring Recordon February 3, 2023 at 7:24 am
Chris Paul talks about being on vacation with LeBron James and others, and they spoke of him having longevity in the NBA.
- SuperAger study of those 95 years of age and older to help new longevity drugs.on February 3, 2023 at 7:06 am
- Longevity and Anti-senescence Therapy Market Will Touch New Level in Upcoming Year | 94 Report Pageson February 2, 2023 at 5:44 pm
The Longevity and Anti-senescence Therapy Market 2023 Size is reaching USD Million by 2028 To Expand At A CAGR During The Forecast Period, Was Valued At USD Million In 2021. 360 Market Updates ...
- 4 Longevity-Boosting Broths and Tonics Packed With Gut Health Benefits To Sip on Throughout the Dayon February 2, 2023 at 7:00 am
This theme is central in the newly released cookbook Better Broths & Healing Tonics: 75 Bone Broth and Vegetarian Broth-Based Recipes for Everyone, co-written by two functional medicine experts. In ...
- The Human Development Index, Longevity And Youon February 1, 2023 at 9:14 am
The Human Development Index evaluates individual human development in each country; Every country is ranked on the HDI due to how they rank in average annual income, education and ...
- What’s the secret of longevity and good golf?on January 31, 2023 at 7:13 am
He had good genes—his great grandmother lived till 106. Fred Couples may be breaking his age and Bernhard Langer may be the oldest winner on the Champions Tour, but Sam grew old the most gracefully.
- Why Well-Being Protocols Are Crucial For Job Longevityon January 31, 2023 at 5:45 am
Based on my experience as a sustainability and well-being consultant, I believe that if companies want to improve job longevity, they need to focus on growth, meaning and health in 2023.
- Increase longevity by exercising the most powerful organ in your body: your brainon January 30, 2023 at 6:45 pm
The ultimate anti-aging trick? Brain exercises. Longevity almost always requires being physically and mentally healthy. And even though it often doesn't get as much attention as regular physical ...
- Seattle-area longevity company emerges from three startups, plans to go public via SPACon January 27, 2023 at 9:50 am
Bradford Zakes recently helped combine the Seattle-area biotech company he led, Cerevast Medical, with two startups to create a new company. Now he’s poised to take Longevity Biomedical public as… Rea ...
via Bing News