Graphene membranes could be used to ‘sieve’ hydrogen gas from the atmosphere to then generate electricity, say Nobel Prize-winning researchers.
The Nobel Prize winners for graphene research, Andre Geim of Manchester University and colleagues, have revealed a new application for the ultra-thin, ultra-strong material that could revolutionize fuel cell technology and open new doors for generating clean energy, reports Reuters.
Graphene, which was first isolated in 2004, is the thinnest material on Earth at just one atom thick, and is 200 times stronger than steel. It is impermeable to all gases and liquids, making it extremely useful, and its discovery paved the way for everything from corrosion-proof coating to super-thin condoms.
In their latest research, Geim and his team have also shown that this super-material could potentially be used for “sieving” hydrogen gas from the atmosphere, for the purpose of generating electricity. The finding could make hydrogen fuel cells more viable than ever before, and even make it possible to collect fuel right out of the air.
“We are very excited about this result because it opens a whole new area of promising applications for graphene in clean energy harvesting and hydrogen-based technologies,” said Geim’s co-researcher on the study, Marcelo Lozada-Hidalgo.
The Latest on: Graphene
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Graphene” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Graphene
- UZE Bold-2 said to be the world’s fastest-charging graphene power bank launched on Indiegogoon June 6, 2023 at 12:00 pm
UZE has opened an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign for the Bold-2 graphene power bank. The company says Bold-2 is the world’s fastest-charging graphene power bank. It has a 290W combined output and can ...
- BLUE WATER PETROLEUM COMMENCES GRAPHENE PELLET SALEon June 6, 2023 at 9:31 am
Blue Water Petroleum Corp (OTC: BWPC), announces that its subsidiary, Attimar SA based in Switzerland, highlights Blue Water Petroleum's commitment to promoting sustainability in its partnership ...
- Light-Speed Advances: Graphene Nanoprocessing With a Femtosecond Laseron June 3, 2023 at 5:13 pm
Researchers at Tohoku University used a femtosecond laser to successfully micro/nanofabricate graphene films, creating multi-point holes without damage and removing contaminants. The technique could ...
- RADICAL REVIEW: Head Graphene XT Radical MP Aon June 3, 2023 at 4:59 pm
Head debuted the innovation last year in a few of their Speed and Instinct frames, and has now applied it to the recently released Graphene XT Radical MP A. Along with the unique stringing ...
- Graphene Is So Yesterday — Meet Boropheneon June 3, 2023 at 4:59 pm
It wasn’t long ago that graphene seemed to take the science and engineering communities by storm. You can make bits of it with a pencil and some sticky tape, yet it had all sorts of wonderful ...
- Graphene Manufacturing Group reveals positive energy savings test results for THERMAL-XRon June 1, 2023 at 4:45 am
Graphene Manufacturing Group Ltd (TSX-V:GMG, OTC:GMGMF) (GMG) has announced further results of energy savings tests on a 4.3 kilowatt refrigeration ...
- Is India missing the graphene bus?on May 31, 2023 at 11:44 am
India needs to catch up in the research and production of graphene, which is the defining material of this age ...
- Graphene Manufacturing Group: Graphene batteries get Rio Tinto booston May 31, 2023 at 10:35 am
Graphene batteries get Rio Tinto boost Cash for industrial application of core technology Graphene Manufacturing Group (GMG) has announced a binding ...
- Team successfully demonstrates laser-induced monolayer graphene nanoprocessingon May 26, 2023 at 4:14 pm
Discovered in 2004, graphene has revolutionized various scientific fields. It possesses remarkable properties like high electron mobility, mechanical strength, and thermal conductivity.
- Logitech G Introduces the Newest Audio Innovation in Esports - The Logitech G PRO X 2 LIGHTSPEED Gaming Headset with PRO-G GRAPHENE Audio Driverson May 24, 2023 at 12:01 am
Logitech G, a brand of Logitech (SIX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) and leading innovator of gaming technologies and gear, announced today the ultimate esports ...
via Bing News