Contour Crafting could replace human construction workers with giant robots.
As the applications of 3D-printing get more and more elaborate, it might not surprise you to hear that researchers at the University of Southern California are testing a giant 3D printer that could be used to build an entire house in under 24 hours. The technology, known as “Contour Crafting,” was designed by Professor Behrokh Khoshnevis, and aims to replace construction workers with a giant robot.
Brad Lemley from Discover Magazine explains how the system would work:
On a cleared and leveled site, workers would lay down two rails a few feet further apart than the eventual building’s width and a computer-controlled contour crafter would take over from there. A gantry-type crane with a hanging nozzle and a components-placing arm would travel along the rails. The nozzle would spit out concrete in layers to create hollow walls, and then fill in the walls with additional concrete… humans would hang doors and insert windows.
Contour Crafting could significantly reduce the cost of home-owning, and also be used in disaster relief areas to build emergency and replacement housing. The system could also be used to build large office blocks and even tower blocks. “You can have multi-nozzle machines and even have the structure climb the building,” says Khoshnevis.
The Latest on: Contour Crafting
via Google News
The Latest on: Contour Crafting
- Mother’s Day Gift Guide: The Most High-Tech Skincare Products For Heron April 28, 2021 at 5:33 am
A potent serum that lifts, firms and reduces the appearance of wrinkles while redefining the facial contour for visibly ... Super Seed Facial Oil, and Dr Craft – Bio-Bakuchoil Purifying Masque.
- Huda Beauty power bullet matte vs cream glow lipstick – is the new launch better than the original?on April 7, 2021 at 2:36 am
They were followed by liquid and stick foundations, contour creams and eyeshadow palettes in every shade imaginable. From nude beiges to pinks, reds and plums, they’re our go-to for a matte ...
- Despite Eskom approvals, Turkish powerships still need Transnet buy-in for 20-year harbour mooringson March 31, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Five of the Turkish vessels are floating “powerships” (specially modified craft that can burn gas or ... the flammable cloud contour is shown in blue, a 10kPa overpressure contour in red ...
- ‘Sophie and the Baron’: Inside Baron Wolman’s Final Collaborationon March 26, 2021 at 8:14 am
It shows Kipner crafting a blind contour of Wolman’s shot of a Woodstock crowd from start to finish, culminating in a gallery exhibit at Hotel Figueroa in Los Angeles. The film was shot over ...
- Lesson 5B: Dragon Trait Grid Sampleron July 30, 2020 at 9:04 pm
This lesson will strengthen the students’ observational skills through the process of creating a contour line drawing. Students will use contour line drawing to draw “toy” reptiles, dinosaur creatures ...
- Contour Club & Loungeon May 13, 2019 at 8:24 pm
COVID-19 vaccine's effect on pregnant women and nursing mothersDoctors say pregnant women are at a higher risk of developing complications from COVID-19. That has many wondering if the coronavirus ...
- Contour Crafting’s 3D-Printing Tech Can Build Homes On-Site in Under 24 Hourson October 27, 2015 at 9:34 am
Robotic construction system Contour Crafting (CC) has debuted their newest 3D-printing technology that can print entire homes on-site in less than 24 hours. CC’s technology doesn’t just build ...
- Robots Could Use 3D Printing To Build Mars Bases Before Astronauts Arriveon July 3, 2014 at 11:49 am
Khoshnevis’ method of printing buildings has been dubbed “contour crafting.” It works much the same way as traditional 3D printing, except the machines are much larger and instead of ...
- Contour Crafting Simulation Plan for Lunar Settlement Infrastructure Build-Upon August 13, 2012 at 10:10 am
This proposal uses a unique architecture weaving an automated building technology called Contour Crafting with designs for assisting rapid buildup of an initial operational capability lunar base.
via Bing News