Biologist Regine Gries endured 180,000 bedbug bites as her team hunted for the ultimate bedbug lure
After 180,000 bedbug bites and eight years of study, Simon Fraser University scientists say they have invented a new kind of bedbug bait and trap.
The trap, which will be available commercially next year, will work by emitting a set of chemical attractants, or pheromones, that lure the bedbugs into traps, and keep them there.
Biologist Regine Gries discovered the pheromones after acting as a host for more than a thousand bedbugs during the research, which also involved her husband, biology professor Gerhard Gries,SFU chemist Robert Britton and a team of students.
“The biggest challenge in dealing with bedbugs is to detect the infestation at an early stage,” said Gerhard Gries in a news release on Monday.
“This trap will help landlords, tenants, and pest-control professionals determine whether premises have a bedbug problem, so that they can treat it quickly. It will also be useful for monitoring the treatment’s effectiveness.”
Regine Gries endured 180,000 bites from the team’s bedbug colony as part of the research, the release said, because she is immune to the bites, getting only a slight rash instead of the usual itching and swelling most people suffer.
Why bedbugs love biting us so much
Bedbugs are wingless pests that feed on humans as their preferred source of blood. The small, flat insects were all but wiped out after the Second World War but have returned with a vengeance to Canadian homes, hotels and shelters.
Read more: Bedbug bait and trap invented by Simon Fraser University scientists
The Latest on: Bedbugs
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Bedbugs” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Bedbugs
- Bedbugs invade Hawaii's Honolulu airport, prompt gate closureson June 2, 2023 at 10:58 pm
The Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Oahu is fighting a tiny but mighty enemy of travelers — bedbugs. On May 29, the Hawaii Department of Transportation received reports of unidentified bugs ...
- Bed bugs prompt Honolulu airport to close several gates for deep cleaningon June 2, 2023 at 10:55 pm
Deep cleaning is underway at Hawaii’s Honolulu airport after bed bugs were found in a terminal. As reported by KHNL, the bugs were initially found in a portion of the E gates in Terminal 2 on Monday ...
- Bed Bugs Close Santa Cruz Courthouseon June 2, 2023 at 12:59 pm
The Santa Cruz Courthouse closed on Thursday, following the discovery of Cimex lectularius, commonly known as “bed bugs”. A representative from the Health Department and a licensed pest control ...
- New NY law requires landlords to reveal if building has flood risks — similar to lead paint, bedbugs warningson June 1, 2023 at 7:49 pm
Landlords will soon be required to tell renters if their apartments have a history of flooding and how to apply for insurance under a new state law that aims to better tenants from Mother Nature ...
- Bed bugs found at HNL airport, cleaning efforts beginon June 1, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Deep cleaning is underway at the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport after bed bugs were found on Monday, May 29.
- Gates re-opened after bed bugs discovered at Daniel K. Inouye International Airporton June 1, 2023 at 2:49 pm
Three gates in terminal two are now back open at the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport. Those gates closed overnight for cleaning after bed bugs were found on Monday.
- Bed bugs at Honolulu’s airport trigger deep cleaning, gate closureson June 1, 2023 at 3:28 am
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Deep cleaning is underway at several Honolulu airport gates after bed bugs were reported. State Transportation Director Ed Sniffen said his agency got reports of the bugs in ...
- ‘The first thing I do is check for bed bugs. I lifted up the fitted sheet and there was nothing’: Airbnb guest says there was bedbug infestation in rental’s cloth headboardon May 31, 2023 at 10:12 am
A recent TikTok video by Sarah Luepker (@saramics.pottery) highlighted one of the worst sleeping experiences possible, in which the Airbnb guest discovered her bed was infested with bedbugs. @saramics ...
- Solved! Does Diatomaceous Earth Actually Kill Bed Bugs?on May 31, 2023 at 6:36 am
When it comes to getting rid of bed bugs, a home’s residents will want to choose the most effective treatment. Does diatomaceous earth kill bed bugs? Read on to learn more about this common home ...
- I study insects – here’s how to check for bed bugs in your hotel roomon May 28, 2023 at 1:46 pm
Sleep tight – don’t let the bed bugs bite! An entomologist named Cassie Krejci, Ph.D., has taken to TikTok in a recently resurfaced video to share some expert tips about how to inspect your ...
via Bing News