A team of Carnegie scientists led by Timothy Strobel has synthesized an entirely new form of silicon, one that promises even greater future applications.
Silicon is the second most-abundant element in the earth’s crust. When purified, it takes on a diamond structure, which is essential to modern electronic devices—carbon is to biology as silicon is to technology. A team of Carnegie scientists led by Timothy Strobel has synthesized an entirely new form of silicon, one that promises even greater future applications. Their work is published in Nature Materials.
Although silicon is incredibly common in today’s technology, its so-called indirect band gap semiconducting properties prevent it from being considered for next-generation, high-efficiency applications such as light-emitting diodes, higher-performance transistors and certain photovoltaic devices.
Metallic substances conduct electrical current easily, whereas insulating (non-metallic) materials conduct no current at all. Semiconducting materials exhibit mid-range electrical conductivity. When semiconducting materials are subjected to an input of a specific energy, bound electrons can move to higher-energy, conducting states. The specific energy required to make this jump to the conducting state is defined as the “band gap.” While direct band gap materials can effectively absorb and emit light, indirect band gap materials, like diamond-structured silicon, cannot.
In order for silicon to be more attractive for use in new technology, its indirect band gap needed to be altered. Strobel and his team—Carnegie’s Duck Young Kim, Stevce Stefanoski and Oleksandr Kurakevych (now at Sorbonne) —were able to synthesize a new form of silicon with a quasi-direct band gap that falls within the desired range for solar absorption, something that has never before been achieved.
The silicon they created is a so-called allotrope, which means a different physical form of the same element, in the same way that diamonds and graphite are both forms of carbon. Unlike the conventional diamond structure, this new silicon allotrope consists of an interesting open framework, called a zeolite-type structure, which is comprised of channels with five-, six- and eight-membered silicon rings.
The Latest on: High-pressure precursor synthesis
[google_news title=”” keyword=”High-pressure precursor synthesis” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: High-pressure precursor synthesis
- The devil is in the details: Re-imagining fertilizer precursor synthesison March 22, 2023 at 9:01 pm
Researchers have improved the Faradaic efficiency of the nitrogen reduction reaction into ammonia by straightforward optimization of chemical process parameters. They found that trace water was the ...
- Re-imagining fertilizer precursor synthesis to reduce its carbon footprinton March 22, 2023 at 7:38 am
"There are various creative ways to improve the Faradaic efficiency by increasing the nitrogen partial pressure or solubility ... to optimizing fertilizer precursor synthesis in industry and ...
- How High-Level Synthesis Can Raise the Efficiency of Design Reuseon March 19, 2023 at 5:00 pm
7. Conclusion A novel functional reuse flow based on C++ modelling techniques coupled with high-level synthesis technology was presented. When time pressure and cost issues don't permit the ...
- Electroactive bacterium generates well-defined nanosized metal catalysts with remarkable water-splitting performanceon March 16, 2023 at 7:06 am
A biological method that produces metal nanoclusters using the electroactive bacterium Geobacter sulfurreducens could provide a cheap and sustainable solution to high-performance catalyst synthesis ...
- What is high blood pressure and what is a normal reading?on March 15, 2023 at 2:15 am
HIGH blood pressure is a condition that doesn't usually have any symptoms. Around a third of people in the UK have the condition - also known as hypertension, but many don't know they have it.
- About Isolated Systolic Hypertension (High Systolic Blood Pressure)on March 9, 2023 at 4:00 pm
A high top number on your blood pressure reading is called isolated systolic hypertension. It can happen from aging or several medical conditions and still needs treatment even if your low number ...
- The 8 Best Pressure Washers To Tackle Dirt And Grimeon March 8, 2023 at 1:03 pm
These handy devices, which are also known as “power washers,” help you rid your home’s exterior of stubborn dirt and stains using a high-pressure stream of water. They deftly and efficiently ...
- Symptoms of High Blood Pressureon February 25, 2023 at 4:00 pm
You may also have another serious health condition. Most of the time, high blood pressure doesn’t cause headaches or nosebleeds. But this can happen in a hypertensive crisis when blood pressure ...
- Overview & Factson November 2, 2022 at 4:06 am
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, affects millions -- including children and teens. WebMD's High Blood Pressure Guide has all the information you need to understand and manage your ...
- Synthesis Methodology & Netlist Qualificationon August 14, 2022 at 11:38 pm
using timing efforts high or incremental compilation. If we are performing Physical Aware synthesis, it is expected to have a good macro placement that improves timing violations. This is one of the ...
via Bing News