Researchers at the University of British Columbia have developed a novel method to test for vitamin B12 deficiency that is sensitive enough to work on anyone, including newborn babies and large swaths of the general population.
Vitamin B12 deficiency can be tested with a single drop of blood collected from a finger prick, then blotted and dried overnight on a card consisting of filter paper. The UBC study made dried blood spot card analysis sensitive enough to measure the amount of methylmalonic acid (MMA), an indicator of a person’s B12 level.
“This minimally invasive approach helps us measure deficiency in an easier and more convenient way, especially in large samples of people,” says study author Yvonne Lamers, a professor in the Faculty of Land and Food Systems and Canada Research Chair in Human Nutrition and Vitamin Metabolism. “Our method is the first to make dried blood spot analysis sensitive enough to test healthy people for B12 deficiency.”
The method simplifies blood sample collection for researchers in rural or remote areas where sophisticated lab equipment is unavailable. It’s currently being used in a research project in rural Indonesia.
The method could also have a significant clinical application. It has the potential to be added to the BC Newborn Screening Program. The program tests for treatable disorders in all infants born in the province. B12 deficiency, if not detected and treated early, can cause delayed brain development, slow learning and digestion problems in babies.
The Latest on: Vitamin B12 deficiency
via Google News
The Latest on: Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Vitamin B12 deficiency: The two changes on your face indicating your levels are too lowon April 22, 2021 at 11:06 am
VITAMIN B12 deficiency is far more common than many realise and can impact one's health greatly. Two signs found on the face could be early warnings.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms: What are the most common signs of a B12 deficiency?on April 22, 2021 at 8:53 am
VITAMIN B12 deficiency symptoms are very common, but you may not even know that you're at risk of the condition. But if you do have a B12 deficiency, it's essential that you start adding more B12-rich ...
- Nutritional deficiencies that jeopardize the health of female athleteson April 22, 2021 at 8:10 am
Eating food rich in iron, consuming more calcium and monitoring levels of vitamin D are some of the recommendations for female athletes deduced from a study performed within the framework of the ...
- Mecothyl 8mg Tableton April 21, 2021 at 1:55 pm
Mecothyl 8mg Tablet is used in the treatment of Vitamin B12 deficiency,Anemia. View Mecothyl 8mg Tablet (strip of 10 tablets) uses, composition, side-effects, price, substitutes, drug interactions, ...
- The 9 Most Essential Vitamins You Need in Your Diet, According to Yale Expertson April 21, 2021 at 9:41 am
Three health experts provide an exhaustive overview of the nine vitamins you should regularly consume through food and dietary supplements.
- Ode Daily Develops a Nutritional Formula Designed to Support Plant-Based Dieton April 18, 2021 at 8:02 am
There are several different reasons why people choose to go on a plant-based diet. It does not change the fact, however, that the human body needs nutrients that plants are unable to provide. Ode ...
- Methex 1500mcg Injectionon April 16, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Methex 1500mcg Injection is used in the treatment of Vitamin B12 deficiency. View Methex 1500mcg Injection (vial of 1 Injection) uses, composition, side-effects, price, substitutes, drug interactions, ...
- Vitamin B Complex Ingredients Market to Gain Prominence; Growing Awareness about Vitamin Deficiencies to Positively Influence the Marketon April 15, 2021 at 10:35 pm
Vitamin B Complex Ingredients Market | 2021 Size, Growth, Share, Cap, Regional Analysis With Global Industry Forecast ...
- Research finds baby food pouches are sweet and low in ironon April 14, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Research out of the University of Otago's Department of Human Nutrition has examined the nutritional quality of baby food pouches found in ...
- Vitamin B12 Market | 2021 Global Industry Analysis By Covid-19 Impact On Healthcare Sector, Business With Forecast To 2027on April 13, 2021 at 10:41 pm
Global “Vitamin B12 Market“ 2021 research report gives Advancement strategies and plans are talked about just as ...
via Bing News