Researchers working on artificial intelligence at Queen Mary have taught a computer to create magic tricks.
The researchers from gave a computer program the outline of how a magic jigsaw puzzle and a mind reading card trick work, as well the results of experiments into how humans understand magic tricks, and the system created completely new variants on those tricks which can be delivered by a magician.
The magic tricks created were of the type that use mathematical techniques rather than sleight of hand or other theatrics, and are a core part of many magicians’ repertoires. The tricks, details of which we published on Monday 17th November in the journal Frontiers in Psychology, proved popular with audiences and the magic puzzle was put on sale in a London magic shop. The card trick is available as an app called Phoney in the Google Play Store.
Co-creator of the project, Howard Williams, explains how a computer can aid trick creation:
“Computer intelligence can process much larger amounts of information and run through all the possible outcomes in a way that is almost impossible for a person to do on their own. So while, a member of the audience might have seen a variation on this trick before, the AI can now use psychological and mathematical principles to create lots of different versions and keep audiences guessing.”
The magic jigsaw involves assembling a jigsaw to show a series shapes, then taking it apart and reassembling it so that certain shapes have disappeared using a clever geometric principle. Creation of tricks of this kind involve several simultaneous factors such as the size of the puzzle, the number of pieces involved, the number of shapes that appear and disappear and the ways that the puzzle can be arranged. Something this complex is ideal for an algorithm to process, and make decisions about which flexible factors are most important.
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Artificial intelligence” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
- 1 Artificial Intelligence (AI) Stock to Buy Hand Over Fist, and 1 to Avoid Before the 2024 Bull Marketon November 29, 2023 at 4:21 am
Some of this year's market performance can be attributed to investor enthusiasm for anything related to artificial intelligence (AI), which is fueling a technological revolution thanks to recent ...
- Opinion: OpenAI's drama marks a new and scary era in artificial intelligenceon November 29, 2023 at 2:59 am
The internal shuffle is likely to remain mysterious, but the effects will be painfully public as the AI industry orients around profit instead of people.
- The Most Thought-Provoking Generative Artificial Intelligence Quotes Of 2023on November 28, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Explore generative AI's societal impact in quotes, from existential risks to vast economic prospects, spanning optimistic to dystopian views.
- Artificial Intelligence Needs Spiritual Intelligence | Opinionon November 28, 2023 at 3:00 pm
The future of artificial intelligence will require spiritual intelligence, or "the human capacity to ask questions about the ultimate meaning of life and the integrated relationship between us and the ...
- Information and Privacy Commissioner highlights artificial intelligence in first annual reporton November 28, 2023 at 2:51 pm
Alberta’s Information and Privacy Commissioner had her first annual report — for 2022-23 — tabled in the Legislature by the Speaker on Tuesday. Diane McLeod began her five-year term as commissioner on ...
- Amazon launches Q, a business chatbot powered by generative artificial intelligenceon November 28, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Amazon finally has its answer to ChatGPT. The tech giant said Tuesday it will launch Q -- a business chatbot powered by generative artificial intelligence.
- The US is racing ahead in its bid to control artificial intelligence – why is the EU so far behind?on November 28, 2023 at 8:09 am
Washington is laying down rules for the use of seemingly mundane AI that could, in fact, be incredibly dangerous, says professor of philosophy Seth Lazar ...
- 3 Artificial Intelligence (AI) Stocks That Should Change the World (and Make Many Millionaires)on November 28, 2023 at 7:10 am
Detailed price information for Crowdstrike Holdings Inc (CRWD-Q) from The Globe and Mail including charting and trades.
- 1 Artificial Intelligence (AI) Stock on Track to Be a Trillion-Dollar Companyon November 28, 2023 at 3:34 am
Detailed price information for Palantir Technologies Inc Cl A (PLTR-N) from The Globe and Mail including charting and trades.
- The Rise Of Artificial Intelligence In Marketingon November 27, 2023 at 4:15 am
Today, we possess new AI tools to scrutinize data sets, suggest changes and create innovative content like never before.
via Bing News