Researchers working on artificial intelligence at Queen Mary have taught a computer to create magic tricks.
The researchers from gave a computer program the outline of how a magic jigsaw puzzle and a mind reading card trick work, as well the results of experiments into how humans understand magic tricks, and the system created completely new variants on those tricks which can be delivered by a magician.
The magic tricks created were of the type that use mathematical techniques rather than sleight of hand or other theatrics, and are a core part of many magicians’ repertoires. The tricks, details of which we published on Monday 17th November in the journal Frontiers in Psychology, proved popular with audiences and the magic puzzle was put on sale in a London magic shop. The card trick is available as an app called Phoney in the Google Play Store.
Co-creator of the project, Howard Williams, explains how a computer can aid trick creation:
“Computer intelligence can process much larger amounts of information and run through all the possible outcomes in a way that is almost impossible for a person to do on their own. So while, a member of the audience might have seen a variation on this trick before, the AI can now use psychological and mathematical principles to create lots of different versions and keep audiences guessing.”
The magic jigsaw involves assembling a jigsaw to show a series shapes, then taking it apart and reassembling it so that certain shapes have disappeared using a clever geometric principle. Creation of tricks of this kind involve several simultaneous factors such as the size of the puzzle, the number of pieces involved, the number of shapes that appear and disappear and the ways that the puzzle can be arranged. Something this complex is ideal for an algorithm to process, and make decisions about which flexible factors are most important.
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Artificial intelligence” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
- High-tech hospital uses artificial intelligence in patient careon February 4, 2023 at 3:56 pm
Doctors at the University of Florida Health Center are using artificial intelligence to help monitor their patients. The findings will help them develop algorithms that will soon provide real-time ...
- Mayo Clinic explores use of artificial intelligence. Is it hype or help?on February 4, 2023 at 10:18 am
Artificial intelligence can now act as an artist or a writer. After years of hype, does that mean AI is ready to play doctor? Many institutions like Mayo Clinic, Google and venture capital firms ...
- Artificial intelligence does not write this column, but if it did, you’d see fewer typos -- and more fact errors: Letter from the Editoron February 4, 2023 at 5:00 am
My experiment with AI journalism is where the alarm bells clanged. I asked ChatGPT to write a 600-word news story on the highs and lows of Justin Bibb’s first year as Cleveland mayor, and it gave me ...
- Artificial Intelligence In RegTech Market 2023 Exploring New Challenges and Opportunities, Forecast to 2029on February 4, 2023 at 1:41 am
Artificial Intelligence In RegTech Market Size 2023-2029 | New Report (120 Pages) | In This Reports Artificial ...
- Should You Invest In Artificial Liquid Intelligence? Exploring The Marriage Between NFTs And AIon February 3, 2023 at 12:36 pm
The rise in popularity of artificial intelligence has led to numerous cryptocurrency tokens that participate in a similar space increasing in value. Here’s a look at investing in artificial liquid ...
- Paging Dr. AI? What ChatGPT and artificial intelligence could mean for the future of medicineon February 3, 2023 at 10:09 am
Without cracking a single medical text book, without a day to medical school, the co-author of a study draft on artificial intelligence passed the US Medical Licensing Examination. It was the ...
- Arena Group Launches Artificial Intelligence Partnerships to Leverage Its Deep Historyon February 3, 2023 at 9:16 am
Leading publisher to leverage AI-assisted tools and technology across multimedia platforms after successful pilot.
- Google invests $300mn in artificial intelligence start-up Anthropicon February 3, 2023 at 7:55 am
Cash-for-computing deal shows how large tech groups are investing in companies at the vanguard of generative AI ...
- Mystery Portrait May Be a Raphael, Artificial Intelligence Suggestson February 3, 2023 at 4:18 am
A mysterious portrait of the Virgin Mary and Jesus may have been painted by the master Raphael, facial recognition finds. But many art historians reject the claim ...
- Artificial Intelligence's New Role In Medicine, Finance And Other Industries - How Computer Learning Is Changing Every Corner Of The Marketon February 2, 2023 at 8:49 am
Artificial intelligence is impacting medicine, finance and many other industries. Here’s what you need to know about AI and how it may affect your life.
via Bing News