Researchers working on artificial intelligence at Queen Mary have taught a computer to create magic tricks.
The researchers from gave a computer program the outline of how a magic jigsaw puzzle and a mind reading card trick work, as well the results of experiments into how humans understand magic tricks, and the system created completely new variants on those tricks which can be delivered by a magician.
The magic tricks created were of the type that use mathematical techniques rather than sleight of hand or other theatrics, and are a core part of many magicians’ repertoires. The tricks, details of which we published on Monday 17th November in the journal Frontiers in Psychology, proved popular with audiences and the magic puzzle was put on sale in a London magic shop. The card trick is available as an app called Phoney in the Google Play Store.
Co-creator of the project, Howard Williams, explains how a computer can aid trick creation:
“Computer intelligence can process much larger amounts of information and run through all the possible outcomes in a way that is almost impossible for a person to do on their own. So while, a member of the audience might have seen a variation on this trick before, the AI can now use psychological and mathematical principles to create lots of different versions and keep audiences guessing.”
The magic jigsaw involves assembling a jigsaw to show a series shapes, then taking it apart and reassembling it so that certain shapes have disappeared using a clever geometric principle. Creation of tricks of this kind involve several simultaneous factors such as the size of the puzzle, the number of pieces involved, the number of shapes that appear and disappear and the ways that the puzzle can be arranged. Something this complex is ideal for an algorithm to process, and make decisions about which flexible factors are most important.
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
- More Indian Healthcare Firms to Harness the Power of Artificial Intelligenceon March 2, 2021 at 12:24 am
Recent reports observe that India’s many healthcare firms are now looking at harnessing the power of Artificial Intelligence.
- Artificial Intelligence Chipsets Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Analysis and Forecast - 2027on March 2, 2021 at 12:13 am
Artificial Intelligence Chipsets Market size exceeded USD 8 billion in 2019 and is estimated to grow at around 35 CAGR between 2021 and 2027 Artificial intelligence chipset market has reported a ...
- Artificial Intelligence for Automotive Applications Market: 2021 Analysis Report, Share, Trends, and Overview 2021-2027on March 1, 2021 at 11:58 pm
Artificial intelligence AI in the automotive industry is expected to cause serious disruption by streamlining production capacity and boosting business growth The design and deployment of new ...
- Panel on artificial intelligence urges US to boost tech skills amid China’s riseon March 1, 2021 at 10:01 pm
Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt and current executives from Google, Microsoft, Oracle and Amazon are among the 15 members of the National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence, which released ...
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions Announces Accelerated Order Activity - New Orders From Fortune Ranked Clientson March 1, 2021 at 8:44 pm
Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions, Inc., (OTCPK:AITX), today announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary Robotic Assistance Devices (RAD) ...
- National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence issues report on how to maintain U.S. dominanceon March 1, 2021 at 8:35 pm
The National Security Commission on AI report makes recommendations ranging from 5G and China to immigration policy and civil rights.
- Who will lead the world in artificial intelligence?on March 1, 2021 at 10:03 am
National security threats and opportunities posed by AI should be a catalyst for changes to defense requirements and resourcing processes, the authors argue.
- How Online Privacy Issues Will Shape Future Use Of Artificial Intelligence In Advertisingon March 1, 2021 at 8:48 am
The article discusses the use of artificial intellignece in advertising as a response to stricter privacy regulations in order to effectively target consumers while protecting sensitive information.
- R.I., Google Cloud unveil first-in-the-nation virtual career center powered by artificial intelligenceon March 1, 2021 at 6:22 am
Part of Governor Raimondo’s Back to Work Rhode Island initiative, this advanced job board uses AI technology to curate skills and eliminates resume readers.
- Marketers: Make Artificial Intelligence Reflect Your Values — Not Undermine Themon March 1, 2021 at 4:40 am
A few measures can help reduce the risks and raise the odds that AI can help you strengthen and better communicate your values.
via Bing News