UTAH ENGINEERS CREATE FUEL CELL THAT CAN RUN WITHOUT HIGH HEAT
University of Utah engineers developed the first room-temperature fuel cell that uses enzymes to help jet fuel produce electricity without needing to ignite the fuel. Developed in collaboration with CFD Research Corp, these new fuel cells can be used to power portable electronics, off-grid power and sensors.
A study of the new cells appears online today in the American Chemical Society journal ACS Catalysis.
Fuel cells convert energy into electricity through a chemical reaction between a fuel and an oxygen-rich source such as air. If a continuous flow of fuel is provided, a fuel cell can generate electricity cleanly and cheaply. While batteries are used commonly to power electric cars and generators, fuel cells also now serve as power generators in some buildings, or to power fuel-cell vehicles such as prototype hydrogen-powered cars.
“The major advance in this research is the ability to use Jet Propellant-8 directly in a fuel cell without having to remove sulfur impurities or operate at very high temperature,” says the study’s senior author, Shelley Minteer, a University of Utah professor of materials science and engineering, and also chemistry. “This work shows that JP-8 and probably others can be used as fuels for low-temperature fuel cells with the right catalysts.” Catalysts are chemicals that speed reactions between other chemicals.
In the new study, the University of Utah team investigated Jet Propellant-8 or JP-8, a kerosene-based jet fuel that is used by the U.S. military in extreme conditions such as scorching deserts or subzero temperatures.
Converting this jet fuel into electricity is difficult using standard techniques because jet fuel contains sulfur, which can impair metal catalysts used to oxidize fuel in traditional fuel cells. The conversion process is also inefficient, with only 30 percent of the fuel converted to electricity under the best conditions.
To overcome these constraints, the Utah researchers used JP-8 in an enzymatic fuel cell, which uses JP-8 for fuel and enzymes as catalysts. Enzymes are proteins that can act as catalysts by speeding up chemical reactions. These fuel cells can operate at room temperature and can tolerate sulfur.
The Latest on: Fuel cell
via Google News
The Latest on: Fuel cell
- RIT’s Pratik Dholabhai earns NSF CAREER Award to study materials in solid oxide fuel cellson March 5, 2021 at 1:10 pm
A Rochester Institute of Technology faculty member has earned a prestigious National Science Foundation award to conduct fundamental physics research on complex materials in solid oxide fuel cells.
- Amunix scores $117M to fuel T-cell engagers, cytokines for solid tumorson March 4, 2021 at 6:30 am
Exactly one year after Amunix Pharmaceuticals raised $73 million, the tech-licensing company turned cancer biotech is drawing another $117 million from the venture capital well. The funds will fuel ...
- hydrogen fuel cell vehicle market size, share valuation to surpass USD 28 billion by 2026on March 4, 2021 at 5:47 am
Request a sample Report of Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle Market [email protected] Industry experts claim that technological advancements in the automotive sector, increasing preference towards hydrogen fuel cell ...
- High-Performance Fuel Cells Market is Poised to Reflect 24.0% CAGR by 2026 | Market Research Future (MRFR)on March 3, 2021 at 10:54 pm
Toshiba Energy Systems & Solutions Corporation (Japan), Hydrogenics (Canada), SFC Energy (Germany), Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems (Japan), Aisin Seiki Co. (Japan), Ceres Power (UK), Altergy (US), ...
- Automotive Fuel Cell Stack Market | 2021 Size, Growth Rate, Key Players Share, And Industry Trends Analysis with Global Forecast 2021-2028on March 3, 2021 at 5:28 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Mar 04, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- Automotive Fuel Cell Stack Market | 2021 Size, Growth Rate, Key Players Share, And ...
- Electric Vehicles Fuel Cell Market May Set New Growth Story : Honda, Hyundai, Toyota Mirai, SAICon March 3, 2021 at 9:05 am
This press release was orginally distributed by SBWire Edison, NJ -- ( SBWIRE) -- 03/03/2021 -- A new business intelligence report released by HTF MI with title "Global Electric Vehicles Fuel Cell ...
- Daimler (DDAIF) & Volvo Group Establish Fuel Cell Joint Entityon March 3, 2021 at 5:38 am
Daimler AG DDAIF and the Volvo Group recently announced the completion of the fuel-cell joint venture to form a new entity called cellcentric GmbH & Co. KG. The Volvo Group has secured 50% partnership ...
- Toyota fuel cell system will go on sale this springon March 3, 2021 at 5:01 am
Toyota has announced that it has developed a product packaging a fuel-cell (FC) system into a compact module and that it intends to begin selling the product in the spring of 2021 or later. The ...
- Hyzon Motors Plans Fuel Cell Material Production Facility Near Chicagoon March 2, 2021 at 2:36 pm
Hyzon Motors plans to make a key component of fuel cell powertrains for commercial vehicles at a new facility near Chicago. It expects to break a bottleneck to producing hydrogen-powered fuel cell ...
- Hyzon Motors building nation’s largest fuel cell material facility in Bolingbrook for hydrogen-powered electric truckson March 2, 2021 at 8:33 am
Hyzon Motors, a leading manufacturer of hydrogen-powered trucks, is building a large fuel cell factory in Bolingbrook.
via Bing News