Researcher develops test to assess a computer’s capacity for human-level intelligence through its ability to create rather than to converse or deceive
A Georgia Tech professor recently offered an alternative to the celebrated “Turing Test” to determine whether a machine or computer program exhibits human-level intelligence. The Turing Test – originally called the Imitation Game – was proposed by computing pioneer Alan Turing in 1950. In practice, some applications of the test require a machine to engage in dialogue and convince a human judge that it is an actual person.
Creating certain types of art also requires intelligence observed Mark Riedl, an associate professor in the School of Interactive Computing at Georgia Tech, prompting him to consider if that might lead to a better gauge of whether a machine can replicate human thought.
“It’s important to note that Turing never meant for his test to be the official benchmark as to whether a machine or computer program can actually think like a human,” Riedl said. “And yet it has, and it has proven to be a weak measure because it relies on deception. This proposal suggests that a better measure would be a test that asks an artificial agent to create an artifact requiring a wide range of human-level intelligent capabilities.”
To that end, Riedl has created the Lovelace 2.0 Test of Artificial Creativity and Intelligence.
For the test, the artificial agent passes if it develops a creative artifact from a subset of artistic genres deemed to require human-level intelligence and the artifact meets certain creative constraints given by a human evaluator. Further, the human evaluator must determine that the object is a valid representative of the creative subset and that it meets the criteria. The created artifact needs only meet these criteria but does not need to have any aesthetic value. Finally, a human referee must determine that the combination of the subset and criteria is not an impossible standard.
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial intelligence
- Artificial Intelligence Will be the Commander of the Future Warson August 24, 2021 at 10:30 am
The Commander of the Future Wars will be Artificial Intelligence. AI and Machine Learning will be the key component and force multipliers. The military will be able to employ AI in War to make ...
- Commtel Invests in nybl.ai, a Pioneer in the Democratization of Artificial Intelligenceon August 24, 2021 at 10:00 am
The investment will give Commtel access to nybl’s technologies for custom AI development for its clients in the Oil & Gas, Power, Mining, Transportation, and other critical infrastructure sectors. Mr.
- Using Artificial Intelligence Blood Testing to Detect Lung Canceron August 24, 2021 at 10:00 am
Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center researchers developed novel artificial intelligence blood testing technology to detect lung cancer in patients. The test approach, called DELFI (DNA evaluation of ...
- Applying Artificial Intelligence to Paint Shop Robotson August 24, 2021 at 8:50 am
Dürr expands it use of artificial intelligence to help automotive paint shops incorporate robots into existing operations for quality and plant availability applications.
- OnSolve Wins Security Today's 2021 New Product of the Year Award for Artificial Intelligenceon August 24, 2021 at 8:00 am
OnSolve, a leading critical event management provider for enterprises, SMB organizations, and government entities, today announced that it has been awarded Security Today's 2021 New Product of the ...
- Rise of the robo-drama: Young Vic creates new play using artificial intelligenceon August 24, 2021 at 7:05 am
Inspired by a Guardian article, the theatre’s surreal and spellbinding show AI is a collaboration between humans and the system GPT-3 ...
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Modern Warfare Market Evolving Technology and Growth Outlook 2021-2026on August 24, 2021 at 6:01 am
MarketInsightsReports recently published a research report called Artificial Intelligence AI in Modern Warfare Market Primary and secondary research methods were used to construct this report The ...
- Deloitte AI Institute Unveils the Artificial Intelligence Dossier, a Compendium of the Top Business Use Cases for AIon August 24, 2021 at 5:39 am
TheDeloitte AI Institute™ today unveiled a new report that examines the most compelling business use cases for artificial intelligence (A ...
- Your Healthy Family: New hearing aid technology is driven by artificial intelligenceon August 24, 2021 at 4:47 am
The Whisper “Brain” is a little larger than a makeup compact, and can easily be tucked in a woman’s purse, pants pocket or clipped on a belt holster similar to a cell phone.
- Cerebras Systems Lays The Foundation For Huge Artificial Intelligenceon August 24, 2021 at 12:30 am
Cerebras extends CS-2 system and software to train a 120-Trillion-parameter model on the way to brain-scale AI.
via Bing News